Nationals (Natz) role call

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@MadisonDan @ChrisG @Delish @Harry Hamilton @whoeverelse is going

I know heckler is there, would be nice of him to give us regular folks some knowledge.

I'm planning on heading up day the morning of, which means I will not be able to preride if i understand correctly

So who is in? When are you racing?

Going up Friday morning. My race is at 11:45. Going to be sloppy. just the way that I like it

I'm heading up Thursday afternoon. I'm staying in a place about 15 minutes north of the venue, right off of Rt. 91.

Planning to arrive at the venue around 10AM Friday, ride the course 11:15-11:45AM while it's open for inspection, then get on the trainer and get ready for 12:40PM go-time.

Race fitness is well and truly gone now, so I'm hoping not to get lapped...

Will likely flee the venue pretty quickly, post-race, in hopes of getting through the NY metro area before everyone gets out of work; no partying at Nats for me.

Planning to arrive at the venue around 10AM Friday, ride the course 11:15-11:45AM while it's open for inspection, then get on the trainer and get ready for 12:40PM go-time

I didnt know that was an option. Sweet...I'll see you there!

Yeah... @Harry Hamilton and I driving up morning of. Course is open 11:15-11:45.
Harry races at 11:45
Me, @Delish and @jShort are 1:40pm.

I hope we can get there by 10 to walk/check in/pin up.

No idea how crazy the lot will be, but you guys wanna try to park nearby?

@seanrunnette should be there too me thinks.

I turned mine in already.... :shrug:

Will be in the lot with all the commoners.

By the way Stephen Hyde said this will be a "survival death match"

Not racing, just spectating - we're going up Saturday to hit a brewery, grab dinner, and go to a Hartford Wolf Pack CT Whale Hartford Wolf Pack game. Then going to drink a lot of beer and yell at people on that slip-n-slide until I'm hoarse on Sunday. Anybody else sticking around to watch elites?

@seanrunnette should be there too me thinks.

Original plan was to head up tomorrow early but a whopper of a chest cold has me behind schedule recording and at about .05% power. I'm 50/50 on tomorrow, with an early Friday departure looking likelier. Anyone going to the CXHairs live broadcast?

Here's some deets for y'all!

1. you need to buy a wristband for $15 to get onto the grounds. Mine is still on my wrist and hopefully will be until the weekend. Cash or charge.

2a. There is no parking on the course side of 91 for us mortal souls.

2b. There is a bag drop tent where you can drive in and drop bags, bikes, bodies, whatever, located by club row/power washers.

2c. You park on the other side of 91 and traverse the foot bridge. It's kinda neat and only moderately a PITA. It probably goes up 5 or 6 stories via ramp or stairs. I made it with 2 bikes my giant bag and a rear wheel, albeit clumsily. HUGE fenced in lot, free to park. There was a cop car chillin while I was leaving which is a welcomed sight.

3. Number pickup is upstairs in the boat house. They give you all of your numbers for the week, don't lose them and take all of the pins because there are TWO numbers for your back AND shoulder numbers. What??? Yuh. FOR EVERYONE.

4. The power washers are really really good. Never used such a great power washer before.

5. Porta-Johns galore. There are maybe 3 or 4 cells of crappers located in pretty good places. Even a cluster of 6-8 at staging!

6. Beer tent, $5 Sierra Nevada tall boys, Torpedo, Pale Ale and two others. Not sure if you can leave the tent or not, standing room only.

7. Trainers- There is a large tent of trainers located on the left side of the S/F to use for free to warm up, complete with skewers.

8. Food Trucks, more coming, brazilian red one was decent. Coffee tent was lit, $2 12oz, $3 16oz.

9. MUD?! Plan accordingly. Have warm dry clothes ready and waiting.

10. Venue Flow: Just as a side note venue flow is pretty solid, it's a long course but ya figure you're going to just want to be down by the levee anyway. There is also some great stuff to see by the gazebo.

11. Results: Via email, and posted on the glass of the doors at reg.

12. Expo Space: more vendors/brands should be coming in as the week continues.

General feel of the venue is impressive. Yesterday probably had the perceived foot traffic of maybe a small to medium UCI event, but the infrastructure was overall very impressive. Lots of porta-johns, lots of white tents, double USAC course arches, much of the course uses 2" wood poles, double tape, lots of ski fencing, most of the orange fencing has signage on it, huge pit, two power washers stations, people running around in press vests. This is my first national event and I'm impressed by it being not just a race but a full production. KMC does a decent job but this is truly bigger and feels much much much more prestigious. I'm very excited for this weekend to see full traffic.

Open to field questions the best I can if if I missed any points of interest! Course description can be found in my recap, though it will most likely be changing through the week for a few different reasons including lap times.

...a whopper of a chest cold has me behind schedule recording and at about .05% power. ?
You too, huh?

My cold stayed above the neck level, but had me doing absolutely nothing on the bike for over a week. Fun stuff.

1. you need to buy a wristband for $15 to get onto the grounds. Mine is still on my wrist and hopefully will be until the weekend. Cash or charge.

2b. There is a bag drop tent where you can drive in and drop bags, bikes, bodies, whatever, located by club row/power washers.

2c. You park on the other side of 91 and traverse the foot bridge. It's kinda neat and only moderately a PITA. It probably goes up 5 or 6 stories via ramp or stairs. I made it with 2 bikes my giant bag and a rear wheel, albeit clumsily. HUGE fenced in lot, free to park. There was a cop car chillin while I was leaving which is a welcomed sight.

3. Number pickup is upstairs in the boat house. They give you all of your numbers for the week, don't lose them and take all of the pins because there are TWO numbers for your back AND shoulder numbers. What??? Yuh. FOR EVERYONE.

4. The power washers are really really good. Never used such a great power washer before.

5. Porta-Johns galore. There are maybe 3 or 4 cells of crappers located in pretty good places. Even a cluster of 6-8 at staging!

6. Beer tent, $5 Sierra Nevada tall boys, Torpedo, Pale Ale and two others. Not sure if you can leave the tent or not, standing room only.

7. Trainers- There is a large tent of trainers located on the left side of the S/F to use for free to warm up, complete with skewers.

8. Food Trucks, more coming, brazilian red one was decent. Coffee tent was lit, $2 12oz, $3 16oz.

10. Venue Flow: Just as a side note venue flow is pretty solid, it's a long course but ya figure you're going to just want to be down by the levee anyway. There is also some great stuff to see by the gazebo.

General feel of the venue is impressive. Yesterday probably had the perceived foot traffic of maybe a small to medium UCI event, but the infrastructure was overall very impressive. Lots of porta-johns, lots of white tents, double USAC course arches, much of the course uses 2" wood poles, double tape, lots of ski fencing, most of the orange fencing has signage on it, huge pit, two power washers stations, people running around in press vests. This is my first national event and I'm impressed by it being not just a race but a full production. KMC does a decent job but this is truly bigger and feels much much much more prestigious. I'm very excited for this weekend to see full traffic.

Open to field questions the best I can if if I missed any points of interest! Course description can be found in my recap, though it will most likely be changing through the week for a few different reasons including lap times.
13. Include some running in your openers.

Awesome color.. Thanks.... Is it worth it to drive over and drop bikes or just hoof it on the bridge?

Well thats good ....I mean when the course is a woodstock mudslide which judging by the video has people walking for more than a min on a lap...At least people will get to ride a bike somewhere :)

Was 50/50 on going up Sunday to watch the elites. $15 to enter? Plus pay for parking? Plus a long drive?

I dunno man, I could just stay local and ride my bike in the woods...

Back
Top Bottom