Johnny Utahs Bike Change Operation

it's great to see that your out riding new places with different peeps, johnny. another allairian has left the nest. i look forward to reading more.

Rode with Jim today and had way too much fun (is that possible?) Glad I went north. Snow and ice were not that bad, and my knees fared well given two 30+ mile rides two days in a row.

The ice got me a few times (man down!), but mostly on the flat snow covered spots, so I think I am going to put a studded D4 on the front or do both, haven decided yet. I hate to spend the coin, but it is cheaper and more convenient than a broken wrist.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/697407488

Diet was rough this week, weighed in slightly below 200lbs. But we ate out a lot this week. Kathleen made a good amount of high carb food lately and I have had a sweet tooth. When we went to the super market today Kathleen planned a more veggie filled week ahead. Lets see what happens.

Still no booze.

No meat or fish for four weeks now, I still feel great and have a ton of energy.

We have kind of replaced beer with going out to eat, I need to clean up the food choices or stay in more.

I opened up a photobucket account to bring this into the 2oth century

Song of the day - Junkie XL - I've got a xerox to copy

Last edited:
Do you have them setup tubeless?

Yes, using Jim's method with foam and gorilla tape. Really easy.

EDIT: those studs are not DIY screw like. Check details here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/12/19/long-term-review-45nrth-escalator-fatbike-tires/

Actually I salvaged them from my old 26 inch Nokian tires. Installation is quite easy, extraction takes much longer. Btw you can buy old 29 inch tires just for studs: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35261&highlight=studded

Last edited:
Well, weigh in time.

196.5lbs. And that is after a pretty big meal out last night. Score.

Let's see what this week brings, 100% looking to do another big ride Saturday and possibly tomorrow.

That was me that ran into you at CR yesterday.
Good job putting in all these miles.

Thanks! Good to put a face with a name. Nice work at the park, the new cuts look great!
Yea, actually the guy I was with was Paul from high tech. He's the guy who donated a bunch of laborers to help cut the new trails.

So I spent the day wrenching on the bikes and vegging with the Mrs./family. Cleaned the fatty up from yesterdays ride and put in a new cable for the derailleur as the cable got chewed up at Marty's race.

I also set up the DH bike with the brakes from the Beargrease and a set of tires I bought from someone (new) in the lot at MTN creak. There was some rubbing on my chainguide, so I fixed that while I had the bike out. Still unsure if I will ride a lot of DH this year, depends on goals.

Tomorrow I will probably go for a short ride, but if I don't keep working on the floors, my other half may have my head (probably not, but it would be nice to have my living room done)! Walls and trim are painted, baseboards were sanded and painted. Just have to finish the floors.

On a lighter note, after a few falls on the snow covered ice on yesterday, I ordered a set of Studded D4's. Jim had a front stud, and it was impressive (I think the riders ability had a good bit to do with it as well). Either way, I will use my non-studded D4's this summer (or Hu-Du's).

Season is closing in and with all the work put in at creek last year you know it's only going to get better. I say let's get a mtbnj highland trip booked now.

Hows the BG handle compared to the Moonie? Obviously it's lighter and ish, but turning/agility? I love the idea of a beargrease but if it's not gonna feel much different than my Muk, that's a few thousand I don't have to spend. :)

Back
Top Bottom