James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

I've read a few Mitch Rapp stories. These books are on a different level. Slower moving, less action.

You should definitely read the Joe Ledger books by Jonathan Maberry. Way better than the Vince Flynn stuff. Just my opinion.

And btw. When I say read, I mean Listen.
Cool. Will look into this...

And again, the damn weekend ends. This was a busy one, but a very, very good one.

Kicked off Friday night with a stop at Monster Sushi in Morristown. We've been to this place once before and it was good. Again this time, the meal was good. It's a great spot to hit before or after a show at the MPAC. Gotta say, there's lots happening at the MPAC these days and if you're reasonably close, I suggest checking it out. Good little venue and not too far from home. The spread for @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST and of course @Mitch:

6DAFBAFA-4556-44F7-863B-B70C52C664C9.jpeg

We blasted through dinner as we had an 8:00 date with Bob Sagat. Yeah, that Bob Sagat. @Dominique had scored these tickets at a solid price and we had good sats. I actually had no idea, but he can be a tad raw doing stand up. Definitely NSFW if you choose to go look up some of his material. Gotta say it was a solid show and I was impressed with how well he seemed to roll his jokes on-the-fly. Was able to work a lot of Morristown/local references is and did well ad libbing with the audience. Of course he went to the Full House well a few times as well as his time on America's Funniest Home Videos. But he also had some solid material outside of that.

No pictures of the stage please!

C3E606A1-CA0B-40AE-B03E-C8F29AD851E2.jpeg

After the show we drove 3.5 hours north to the Adirondacks and met up with Bill (@graveyardman67) and his wife/son at their place upstate, as well as @UtahJoe & his wife for a weekend of chess and pedophile stories. Bill & his wife were kind enough to invite us up which was awesome and gave us a chance to have a little away-from-home time this weekend. We stayed up until 2:30 like college kids then slept in and lounged around the house in the morning, enjoying the fire and making sure the couches did not float away.

9C65F7F2-1550-4529-B289-DF8E89CF4DFF.jpeg

Eventually we got our stuff together and made it over to Gore Mountain for a half day of skiing. This mountain is at least double the height of anything I have ever skied before so this was sort of moving into new territory for me. The steepness is ok and the ice is ok to a point, but the steeper sections of ice were beyond my pay grade for the most part here. Last year we went skiing twice in Canada and I fell very little at all. On Saturday I ate shit on every run until the last one. I had forgotten some of the things I had learned in earlier attempts and the mountain being a little longer/steeper was a bit of a challenge, especially with the ice.

6FABCECD-C0DB-4630-98FC-F5532F5150A9.jpeg

I did make the last run down the hill without eating it so it was a good way to end the day. I will leave it to @Dominique and/or @UtahJoe to critique my skiing. I guess I don't suck but this is definitely not natural for me by any stretch. Overall was happy with the day which I will 100% chalk up to a good last run.

I have added an awesome red helmet to go with my awesome outfit. I am doing everything I can not to slide backwards here.

70794982-07A4-46CD-9557-610AD515DA33.jpeg

Finished up the day as the sun went down and headed back to the cabin to change then headed out to dinner where we had a good meal, and listened to a local band play things from Wheezer to The Velvet Underground - gotta say that's a first for me. Went back to the cabin to watch a few hours of Motorcross which I will admit was pretty fun. Then we started watching some UFC matches until Bill told us it would be going until like 12:30, then we were all off to bed.

Woke up and did more couching in the morning while the snow dropped around us outside. Forecast was for 4-11" depending where you looked. All the rain here was snow up there. D and I were both tired from the day before so we were ok not hitting the slopes again as it's hard to say how the roads would have been by 5:00. We hung out drinking coffee and enjoying the fire.

In all a great weekend of hanging out with some great people. Had a good day at Gore and we ate some good food and had a lot of good conversation. Really enjoyable weekend with a mix of doing as well as relaxing. The weekend had a college vibe where your only goal is to just wake up and hang out and bullshit about whatever. I think this aspect of life is missing in a lot of our society today and if more people did this more often, well I honestly don't know if we would solve the Middle East crisis or not but I think we would have a little bit of a better fabric of society.

Drove home while the sun was still up.

8A490B5C-5EF7-4A2B-AF83-40FBEE61DB5A.jpeg

Was hoping bill still had the only wide screen tube tv I've ever seen and you guys were going to watch the superb owl on it.

@Norm does in fact travel with his copy of the NYT

fImq6Ff.jpg

Great trip! I havent stayed up until 2:30am outside of bob vomiting in I cant remember how long.

@graveyardman67 never is disappointing with the stories and hospitality

Your skiing is drastically better. 2-3 more times and you will be ready to take on Roy Stalin.

Looks like you had a great time on your ski trip. I also hit the slopes 5 times in my high school years. Last run of the day at Killington twisted my knee and haven't gone skiing again.

You came to Morristown for sushi and I didn't get an invite?!
:(

You came to Morristown for sushi and I didn't get an invite?!
:(

We didn't know we had enough time between packing and the show, and even then it was a fast in and out.
The sushi was so very good though! I'm up for going there again with you guys, soon :)

man, that first ski trip was a hoot. you were a trooper taking the spills you did.

Back in my day, we used to play sports outside and video games inside. Kids these days get on their damn bikes and then just play video games inside. What's the world coming to? Yeah, I like my paper and I read with glasses and wear a big-ass red helmet when I ski. I ain't proud. At work we used to call the end of the week, ZFGF, which stands for Zero Fucks Given Friday. Now it is ZFGE, E = everyday.

I did not watch the Super Bowl, nor did I go watch the commercials today. If there had been a party we may have gone but there wasn't so we didn't. I have 3 distinct memories of the Eagles being in the Super Bowl:

1. The first one. As a Dallas Cowboys fan growing up, I will always have a place in my heart for the Raiders because of this.
2. The second one, their first attempt at New England. I learned to juggle at this Super Bowl party.
3. Yesterday, memorable only because it was yesterday. In 5 years I'll have no memory of this.

I read the Uma Thurman article this morning and I think at a certain point we need to be truly disgusted at a small, but incredibly damaging, part our own society. The article did not really stay on point but the first half does bring to light that not even an established female star is immune to this stuff. As a dad with a daughter, looking at this Larry Nasser shit, here is what I think. All of the fathers of these girls should be given a baseball bat and they get 1 good whack at this scumbag. Honestly the world would be a better place today if that dad had gotten through to him in court the other day and ripped his head clean off his shoulders.

Now to other things...

Today on the bike I did the Monday double-spin again. Didn't feel like throwing all-in on this session so I just ground out a 140-150 HR for 2 hours. The knees were present a little Saturday so I was thinking to take it easier. Got it done, nothing remarkable. Good start to Monday. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Oh wait, you know what tomorrow brings? New spin bikes at the gym! These will have power so that's exciting in a way. But there are no classes tomorrow so I'll need to figure out something else to do.

This week is a reasonably normal week...I think. I have this back-of-head idea to try and make it over to Round Valley this winter but that would entail actually going to ride Round Valley. And you know, that's not the most fun place in the world. I wish the JORBA rep would do something useful over there like flatten it out or make a pump track or something. If I go it would need to be tomorrow, which kind of works out well with the spin classes being offline. Wednesday Zac has a basketball game. Friday we'll settle in and watch the start of the Olympics and hope nobody gets nuclear button-happy. Weekend is basketball, basketball, Chinese school, soccer, a sleepover, and a Boy Scouts dinner. Non-DINK weekend.

Got the confirmation that I will be in San Diego from Feb 19th through the 23rd. The 19th is a travel day so technically I can use most of the day out there to hit the bike shop @JimN recommended, grab a bike for the week, and hit up the Swami loop that @seanrunnette says is a must-do. I should be able to get 4 rides over the course of this trip, Monday afternoon then Tue/Wed/Thu mornings. I'll try and keep a sort-of East Coast schedule and wake up early and try to make Kevin proud out there. Realistically I should be able to swing a 5am-8am window on those 3 mornings. Then I'll come home and be more-than-unhappy with the temperatures out here. But hey, then February will almost be over then and we can move into my least favorite month of the year, Smarch.

@UtahJoe that video is bad even by 80's standards. The pure gold moment is the Asian dude with the Rising Sun headband at the end.

It is a bit of a drive (1 hour?) but the noble canyon trail is good and I think it is an IMBA epic. However, probably not conducive to darkness as I felt uncomfortable there by myself during the day (shit is middle
Of nothing) Also, mission trails are closer but kinda just wide open double track.

5am should be pretty easy to handle when your body thinks it is 8. Also, when it is 60 degrees instead of 20.

Last edited:
if you can score a mountain bike and a ride, that mountain bike ride I did in SD was pretty top notch. JimN rode to the top but a shuttle is better ;)

mission trails are closer but kinda just wide open single track.

I went to Mission Trails twice because it was close, but I thought it was pretty meh.

There was something else pretty close called (I think) Sweetwater that I really liked. I didn't get out to Noble Canyon, but it's supposed to be pretty crazy.

that mountain bike ride I did in SD was pretty top notch. JimN rode to the top but a shuttle is better

The San Juan Trail is quite a hike from San Diego, but yeah it's pretty good. And lol, I didn't even notice you didn't even ride up it.

Holy Jim/Trabuco Canyon is the ride to do if you get up to OC, but there's also a bunch of other cool sounding stuff up there that I didn't get to.

JORBA rep starting a goFundMe for lift service at RV - or maybe a magic carpet?

now that i've hit it a couple different ways, other than puke hill, and the hike-a-bike up cush, it doesn't seem so bad.
just bad.

Back
Top Bottom