James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

No food pictures so a few numbers are OK. I feel bad for your friend whos account
You're using. Killing his numbers is good, I guess?
Its good to see this works for you for good motivation but like you said lets see how long this last. Even movie stars get tired of their knockout wives. (No harm meant here, just sayin). Keep up the good work and stay on track.

Double spin sess, no desire to ride outside and now Zwift.

images

Today starts a stretch of 5 days that will be fun but totally exhausting.

Did anyone watch the State of the Union last night? I turned the TV on, listened to the commentators comment on how such-and-such a woman was dressed, and thought to myself...F this. I mean aside from the generally unmeaningful words of every State of the Union ever, the commentators go overboard. I read the NYTimes list of facts where they checked what was said, and I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of them were "true with a caveat" kind of thing. I was expecting blanket FALSE replies everywhere. Sorry to bring politics into this. I'll stop now.

@Dominos - do you think that aiming to eat only quality ice cream can be extended to cheese too? Also, if you buy a block of cheese is there any such thing as bad cheese? Finally, are you saying Ben & Jerry's is bad?

I see at Yale they are tackling the concept of happiness in a class this semester. How about, "Happiness is not failing this class"? The end.

So a guy I work with recorded this demo session last year about how to make a certain report in the tool we use. It's kind complex so it's good that he recorded it. So I needed to reference this today, and it turns out that he recorded the session of someone else doing it, and while the session was going he just clicked around and talked to people on chat, surfed the web, generally did not pay attention. And gloriously this is all captured on video. This is not only beyond incompetent, but really ensures that unless I do a barrel roll in a land mine field, I will probably never struggle to find a job in this industry.'

I cannot justify the purchase of a smart trainer. /discussion.

Did the Swiffer thing again today. Went into it knowing what to expect. Paced myself better and ended up with a 241w weighted average power compared to 224 yesterday. I enjoyed it more today except when I apparently got stuck inside & around a volcano. WTF is up with that? I also persist with indoor riding to make Kevin angry at life. Well, angrier.

172CD55D-137E-4E86-87C0-A7FDBE591A34.jpeg

Finished up the day with the Hollywood Special Effects show up in Morristown with the kids.

528300B9-8840-4BA6-A930-EAC93D43DA15.jpeg

I don't know, seems like the beginning to me
The beginning of the end, yes

I’m not angry @Norm , just SAF riding has come to this for you. Not sad actually, I know we all supposed to be accepting of whatever people want to do, but real talk, I just can’t relate to riding indoors.

Last edited:
The beginning of the end, yes

I’m not angry @Norm , just SAF riding has come to this for you. Not sad actually, I know we all supposed to be accepting of whatever people want to do, but real talk, I just can’t relate to riding indoors.
I ride outside all the time...its lovely. But its really easy to ride around, play on my MTB, climb up hills at and easy pace just to bomb down other ones....Slack off....245w on the trainer...where there is 0 rest for an hour, or however long....and no adrenaline rush from the speed....To me anyway its WAY WAY harder mentally. I just dont think there is anything bad about it. You also get your enjoyment from riding your road bike...which I cannot relate to. I will ONLY ride my road bike to do a training ride, otherwise I think its rather boring. And ultimately what are we doing with all of this nonsense...Whether its you riding every morning on the road at 5am, or me racing my mtb, or norm riding the trainer....Whatever that thing is that can motivate you to do something to stay healthy.

Funny, I was at the gym on tuesday and I ran into an old friend of my from college who I hadnt seen in many years. He was also into dirtbikes back in the day, but like me...you get older and have more time commitments, etc...your friends stop going, you get hurt and its hard to keep doing it. He goes to the gym and looked rather miserable about as his wife seems to drag him there. So im like...hey, you ever ride a mountain bike? Let me tell you about this...

Whatever that thing is that can motivate you to do something to stay healthy.
For me staying healthy is a by-product of what I do. I would say, Whatever that thing is that can motivate you to do something to feel good about yourself. People think because I'm active and do outdoor physical things that I'm a health nut, while I enjoy being healthy it's the feeling I get from cycling, xc skiing, kayaking that I seek. For some they get the same feeling from reading a book or building something.

Staying healthy is all relative, Drs recommend 20 minutes of excersise 3 times a week...or something like that. The cycling we do here is primarily for enjoyment, since we typically do more then an hour or two a week.

More TOS:)

I ride outside all the time...its lovely. But its really easy to ride around, play on my MTB, climb up hills at and easy pace just to bomb down other ones....Slack off....245w on the trainer...where there is 0 rest for an hour, or however long....and no adrenaline rush from the speed....To me anyway its WAY WAY harder mentally. I just dont think there is anything bad about it. You also get your enjoyment from riding your road bike...which I cannot relate to. I will ONLY ride my road bike to do a training ride, otherwise I think its rather boring. And ultimately what are we doing with all of this nonsense...Whether its you riding every morning on the road at 5am, or me racing my mtb, or norm riding the trainer....Whatever that thing is that can motivate you to do something to stay health
Like @pooriggy says, being healthy is a bi-product of what I do, same as vegetarian was not a health choice.

I think sometimes riding a bike is about slacking off, just as much as sometimes it is about burying yourself. Sometimes just doing wheelies is fun, sometimes it isn't. There are so many other things to focus on besides the fitness aspect. Everything about being outside, the sights, the sounds, the feels, the sounds of your tires on the dirt or pavement, hitting a line you haven't hit that way before, the challenge of if you can climb that hill, nose bonk that log over., clean that rock garden, make that up you never did before. All those things combined with pushing yourself further that you know you could is why I am out there riding. Fitness is part of it, ofcourse, but certainly not the focus. I sorta dread the day that riding becomes about a workout. At that point, I would probably just hang it up.

FTR, I rode my mtb 17 rides on 16 days in January, so the roadie script is being re-written. THANK the man jesus my screen name doesn't have roadie in it.

Like @pooriggy says, being healthy is a bi-product of what I do, same as vegetarian was not a health choice.

I think sometimes riding a bike is about slacking off, just as much as sometimes it is about burying yourself. Sometimes just doing wheelies is fun, sometimes it isn't. There are so many other things to focus on besides the fitness aspect. Everything about being outside, the sights, the sounds, the feels, the sounds of your tires on the dirt or pavement, hitting a line you haven't hit that way before, the challenge of if you can climb that hill, nose bonk that log over., clean that rock garden, make that up you never did before. All those things combined with pushing yourself further that you know you could is why I am out there riding. Fitness is part of it, ofcourse, but certainly not the focus. I sorta dread the day that riding becomes about a workout. At that point, I would probably just hang it up.

FTR, I rode my mtb 17 rides on 16 days in January, so the roadie script is being re-written. THANK the man jesus my screen name doesn't have roadie in it.

Hahahaha!

So much irony in the new name:

When Team MTBNJ was at its racing peak, I would say most of the team was on the road 80% of the time with regular team rides on the road, all outside, all year 'round. @Norm, @bonefishjake, @kush, @ArmyOfNone, @pooriggy , @BiknBen were all putting in pretty big hours on the road. Team base winter sessions of 3-5 hours in some pretty cold temps. Maybe it was the Ben HTFU influence but at some point there was a norm* on here of training outside. I know we have had some legit winter temps and weather this year that makes riding outside less desirable. I am not really one to be stuck in the past, but WTF happened to that norm?*

*not @Norm, a norm

norm

nôrm/

noun

1. 1.
    something that is usual, typical, or standard.
    "this system has been the norm in Germany for decades"synonyms:standard, usual, the rule;

I am not really one to be stuck in the past, but WTF happened to that norm?*

Yeah sorry about that... I happened. ;-)

But honestly, life circumstances change. J is no longer a baby/toddler and he now has to 2 other kids to manage in the mix. They all need to be entertained whether by playing board games, doing homework with them or driving them around to their sporting events.

I'm glad you manage to be outside every day, but it doesn't work for everyone. Hopefully, when the kids are in college (like Iggy) it'll be more about enjoying ourselves outside all the time. Now we'll just focus on trying to go MTB when we can but also trying to stay healthy so that we can enjoy the outside when we are older.

@Dominos - do you think that aiming to eat only quality ice cream can be extended to cheese too? Also, if you buy a block of cheese is there any such thing as bad cheese? Finally, are you saying Ben & Jerry's is bad?

Definitely. Although I have been known to eat some crap cheese, mostly #becausetoddlers we do have string cheese in our house.

if you like cheddar, the cabot 3 year aged is the best I've had at normal people pricing. I've only ever seen it at costco though. The 5 year at the cabot factory is life changing but 3 times the cost of the 3 year. Cheddar and Parmesan are my favorites. Never got into mushy cheese other then fresh motz and ricotta.

Yeah sorry about that... I happened. ;-)

But honestly, life circumstances change. J is no longer a baby/toddler and he now has to 2 other kids to manage in the mix. They all need to be entertained whether by playing board games, doing homework with them or driving them around to their sporting events.

I'm glad you manage to be outside every day, but it doesn't work for everyone. Hopefully, when the kids are in college (like Iggy) it'll be more about enjoying ourselves outside all the time. Now we'll just focus on trying to go MTB when we can but also trying to stay healthy so that we can enjoy the outside when we are older.
Yeah, but who is doing much of anything from 5am - 7am? Also, lunchtime (or anytime when kids are at school for the WFH crowd) is fair game.

IIRC pre 7 am rides where once tapped by yous (no pun intended*)

*sorta**

**ok, it is***

***no, just kidding, im being srs*

. Cheddar and Parmesan are my favorites.

I'm with you, but I feel like there's so much more out there that I don't even know about. I volunteer @Norm to host a team cheese tasting party.

Back
Top Bottom