James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

I went to Mission Trails twice because it was close, but I thought it was pretty meh.

There was something else pretty close called (I think) Sweetwater that I really liked. I didn't get out to Noble Canyon, but it's supposed to be pretty crazy.

The San Juan Trail is quite a hike from San Diego, but yeah it's pretty good. And lol, I didn't even notice you didn't even ride up it.

Holy Jim/Trabuco Canyon is the ride to do if you get up to OC, but there's also a bunch of other cool sounding stuff up there that I didn't get to.
I meant double track. But yeah, just kinda riding off road.

I have not had better burritos than in San Diego beach areas and I think it was mission beach where I first experienced Cali surf culture and probably had the best burrito I ever consumed.

Yes its bad, but growing up in the 80s around skiing...I always have fond memories of watching it with my Dad and later my HS friends......Then having our own Chinese downhill at Park City. Man those were fun times.

Good deal on the double spin class.

I didn't get out to Noble Canyon, but it's supposed to be pretty crazy.

I rode Noble Canyon last year. You can describe the whole ride in seven words ... "up, up, up, down, down, down, done." This is the profile of the loop:

NobleCanyon.JPG

It's not a bad ride ... the climb is a mixture of paved and dirt road. And I was riding what is a "big bike" (to me) - a Santa Cruz ... ehhhh ... something ...??? This is it:

34888164773_ab54d57c92_b.jpg

It was really hard to climb on this thing. I felt like I was on a hamster wheel and I was wishing for my SS the whole time - the steeper sections of the climb would have been tough on a SS, but overall I'd have felt much more comfortable. (That little section of dirt you see below is part of the climb.) Ths bigger bike was nice on the descent, but I didn't really think it was necessary. I mean, there were a few sections that were pretty chunky, but nothing we haven't see in this region before.

One thing if you ever do make it out there: you need a permit to ride. The bike shop I rented from didn't tell me that. I got lucky because there were two guys who were finishing up as I arrived and they were nice enough to give me theirs. The office to get one is about 5 miles from the trailhead, so that would have been a PIA if I had to double back.

Overall, it's a good ride, although it's a haul from the city -- about an hour and change drive east of San Diego.

Norm, do you have a subscription to The Atlantic?

I do not, though I have enjoyed the magazine in the past. I added their podcast after we had dinner that night. But the first podcast was ALL TRUMP and I deleted it 30 seconds in.

Why?

I do not, though I have enjoyed the magazine in the past. I added their podcast after we had dinner that night. But the first podcast was ALL TRUMP and I deleted it 30 seconds in.

Why?

I haven't really given the podcasts a try (they have multiple actually).

I don't recall discussing The Atlantic with you, but if you're a NYTimes Sunday Edition kind of person, The Atlantic is right up your alley. My only issue with it is it's so heavy that it takes me 3 months to get through an issue...

San Diego riding will be limited 3 hour blocks of time. There won't be much in the way of travel time to go anywhere. The Monday would be the best bet, but with the sun setting at 5:30 it's not a good time of year to maximize the daylight. Sun rises at 6:40, so if I want to ride 5-8 in the morning I'll need to bring lights. As for temps, low in the 10-day is 50, high is 77. So I'll likely rent a road bike as I may need to be in the office at 8am Tue-Thu. And it's also likely we'll go out after work each of those 3 days too. Plus, you know, I gotta work.

Ironically, we may go skiing again the weekend before. From 20 to 70, in a day.

I intended to write about the Falcon 9 launch today after I watched it. But the launch got delayed and the day got away from me. This is a parallel to the space shuttle launches we used to watch in school. Here is my question for those of you who know. Do they televise this in school? It used to pretty much be an all-hands-on-deck event at our school, and it was awesome. Ok so I wasn't able to watch, so I don't have too much to say about it.

Been listening to 1027 WEXQ since we left Bill's cabin. Really enjoying this station and happy to be back in touch with some source of music again. Bill and I have similar tastes in music. So through the weekend it was fun to discuss the bands, especially the stuff on the throwback morning(s) and trying to guess what was what. Good stuff. Definitely plugging me back into music. It makes me feel a little more human. Does that make sense?

I can imagine getting a subscription to The Atlantic one day. I mean if I saw it at the checkout line at a market I would probably grab one. Though I did that with one of those NatGeo History magazines once and I never picked it up after that. As I am trying to make a bigger effort to read these days, maybe I'll try to find it and chip away at it. Of course, with the paper every day and the current set of books I am reading (another blog post to explain), I don't have much more reading time to give. When we got back Sunday I read the paper for 2.5 hours on & off. It was glorious. The Arafat article from the previous NYT Magazine was solid.

Got on my Swiffer today, for 90 minutes and 1200 Kj of energy. I learned how to customize my kit but sadly they do not have a Ski Outfit from the 1990s option. Real quick on this one: Before Zwift, an hour would be damn hard and I would burn 500-600 Kj. After Zwift: 90 minutes is easily done, 1200 Kj burned. Not for nothing but that's worth something.

Then I made dinner for @Mitch but he was not around so @Dominique gets his for lunch tomorrow:

287F9E89-9376-4B31-830B-8BFF3F8536ED.jpeg

San Diego conference:
I went to one years back.
Statsapalooza I think it was.

I was new on FB, connected with someone I hadn't seen since HS.
He picks me up as soon as I check in after an early am flight.
I have not eaten in like 14 hours, and we go straight to Coronado Brewing, and crush multiple pitchers of IPA.
(Foreshadowing)
He pours me back into the lobby of my hotel, where they are now having free happy hour, so of course I grab another beer.
I get to my room and my wife calls me-
I manage "Hello"
In those two syllables she knew what was up- "You're drunk!" Hangs up.
Somewhere in here I threw up.
I had a whole week out there and couldn't stand the taste of IPAs for the rest of the trip.
This was when the west coast was IPA land. Bummer.

I also did play hooky one day and rented a car to go rent/ride a little north.
Then somehow managed to get reimbursed for a convertible mustang.

I did have the best fish tacos of my life there. Multiple times.
Do that. Skip Coronado.

KJ?
This is 'Merica and we just put a sports car in space. Wtf is a KJ?
Let's nevermind that this immigrant may have used the metric system... In the interviews he's saying mph and pounds like a real American.

We watched the mets in the world series in 1973 in school - it was cool that they played in the afternoons. light bulbs were just invented.
Watching science shows - both real science and scifi with my Dad are some great memories.
Dad got to pick the tv, and the car. everything else was in Mom's domain. We had a great tv - with a real remote (vs me) in the 1960s for the lunar mission.
The green plymouth duster with the slant 6, i dunno what happened there.

Was in kolledge for the early space shuttle - being it was a tech college with connections to the space agency (George Low was president) - it was a big deal.
it was the real deal. like meeting KfC at rep night, only better. school was small enough that you could actually talk to the president when he walked across campus.

This transitions nicely into the fact that WEQX would come in at night in beautiful troy, ny. Always been a fan - although i don't stream it.
Probably because we have something sirius going on here. side note - sirius and xm merged about 10 years ago.

Have a safe trip. oh, you leave monday. never mind. well, not never mind. ugh. ;)

Got on my Swiffer today, for 90 minutes and 1200 Kj of energy. I learned how to customize my kit but sadly they do not have a Ski Outfit from the 1990s option. Real quick on this one: Before Zwift, an hour would be damn hard and I would burn 500-600 Kj. After Zwift: 90 minutes is easily done, 1200 Kj burned. Not for nothing but that's worth something.

Truth. Sorry for turning back the time machine on this one and talking power but its hard to believe the CP30, CP45 numbers I'm seeing in Swiffer. I hate to admit how much fun it is...its kind of like the good ol' days of crit racing without crashing or dudes yelling "hold your line".

I remember a few shuttle launches in school, however for whatever the reason I didn't watch the challenger live... I remember like it was yesterday walking in my house and my grandmother telling me what happened. Seems odd that they didn't broadcast that one since Crista McAuliffe was on board and I remember the hype about that. I remember Reagans speech... Man go watch that and compare and contrast to the garbage we now have. I remember the next one, discovery in 1988 as we all watched on edge.

1200 kj is dam impressive, especially for 90 minutes.... I mean if I went out on the trails last night In the dark... Would be be pretty much impossible to match those numbers... Never go outside again.

without boring everyone with the math...KJ to calories is a 1:1 ratio

Yes because our bodies are only about 20-25% efficient.

?

ok - wrapping my head around this one....so if we eat 1000 calories of bon-bons, we'll extract about 250?
Or if we generate 1000 KJ of energy, we'll burn 250 calories ? (kcal?) - which would be backwards?

Back
Top Bottom