IGVENTURE

Some of the most inflammatory threads start out with such innocuous headings as the Olympics, Weather or What winter shoes should I get. If you ever come across a post with any of the above headings, stay away, far away. For some reason, these topics turn into your wrong, I'm right and to prove it I'm going to get over the top insulting. I can throw out some examples of what I mean but somebody will quote what I say a year from now and call me a nilihist or some shit.

So, let's get caught up with the past week. My off season continues to be blissful, with fun mtb rides, kayak paddles and occasional beer drinking.

20180724_145950.jpg

I met up with Mitchie last week at Allaire, he had a loner car, it was funny to see a big man get out of a VW Beetle.

Friday I paddled the Barnegat Bay with Evan, it felt good to get back on some playful water, this was our first outing on saltwater this year. Despite it being a bit daunting at first, getting rocked about on a 22"wide kayak, after about an hour the rhythm of the waters felt like 2nd nature. Like mtbing, it's all about going with flow and not tensing up, which can be counter intuitive, when we become uneasy we get stiff, recognizing this I remember to breathe and stay loose.

20180727_172607.jpg

Saturday I rode Hartshorne with Tony. It was good to see him after his bike tour to FL, he told me about his trip as we covered the trails. Riding a bike that many miles, meeting many different people sounded like an awesome adventure, the stories involved people who wanted to offer encouragement and help. We often don't hear about much in the way of good things people do in the news or on social media, I guess people would rather hear about crazy people doing mean shit to others. It was uplifting to hear Tony's trek.

Tony was a celebrity at Hartshorne, everyone wanted to hear his stories.
20180729_150538.jpg

To wrap up the week, I headed to Ringwood on Sunday to meet up with Kris, Utah, Kirt and 6er. Utah and the boys were raving about the new Sterling trails from a few weeks ago, so they decided to do a second edition with me and Kris. I have to say that these trails live up to the hype. Despite being located in close proximity to Ringwood, which has a reputation for technical trails with elevation, Sterling is a bit more tame, with just enough challenge for beginner to intermediate mtbers. There are those who may like the more raw trails of Ringwood, however they don't attract new mtbers and what we need in this sport is new folks to keep it going. Thanks to Art and Ellen from Jorba for getting these trails built, it's something the mtb community needs to keep it rolling.

20180729_145554.jpg

Lastly, Jimmy stopped by to get his car he left at my house before going to the airport to travel to Alaska, the largest state in the union, he was anchored down in Anchorage for a bike polo tournament. It seems like a long way to go to play bike polo, but he and I agreed that any excuse to go to Alaska is a good reason. Like Tony's stories of travel, Jimmys trip further echoed the good there are in people you meet along a journey, strangers who take you in and share there time and resources with you. I will say that I believe non threatening looking people are more likely to be taken in by others. Tony and Jimmy are as docile looking as they come, people want to take care of them like a little puppy dog.

20180729_173836.jpg

The title of the thread is wrong, because you're going to like win the cat 1 40+ Works at a Golf Course category. Nihilist.

Michelle Shocked. Though that song is a little sad.

I read the last entry in its entirety which is tough for me.

Although its known to never follow you on the trails because you can’t hold a decent line for shit, I do appreciate the Iggyisms that spew out of that skull.of yours. Quite entertaining.

My brother in law tells me stories of the barneget bay being a nightmare to kayak. Especially on weekends with all the boat traffic. His father got tossed and his kayak sunk recently.

Unlike reading @Mountain Bike Mike's wordpress recaps, I also read the whole post.

@ChrisG is hands down the sexiest person in a Cognition kit and he gets no mention?!

Also, are we at the point where only the OG and the old guys truly know 'bout the winter shoes thread? Like I feel it is something people say without know the origin.

@pooriggy @stb222 I've generally subscribed to the "If I can't be fast, I should at least look fast" philosophy. Probably truer now more than ever.

@pearl That is absolute gold.

@Norm IIRC, Iggy wasn't around for the avatar wars. That shit was happening when there were like 12 of us posting; before the team even existed. Maybe @walter was there for that? I'm trying to think of any other currently active peeps that might have been involved.

@pooriggy @stb222 I've generally subscribed to the "If I can't be fast, I should at least look fast" philosophy. Probably truer now more than ever.

@pearl That is absolute gold.

@Norm IIRC, Iggy wasn't around for the avatar wars. That shit was happening when there were like 12 of us posting; before the team even existed. Maybe @walter was there for that? I'm trying to think of any other currently active peeps that might have been involved.
If you go by the stats in our info, I joined in April 2006 and you are September 2006. So I guess I was here, however I know I created a login and then didn’t do the forum for awhile. I feel like I was present just after avatar wars.

If you go by the stats in our info, I joined in April 2006 and you are September 2006. So I guess I was here, however I know I created a login and then didn’t do the forum for awhile. I feel like I was present just after avatar wars.
I remember being daily on the forum pretty quickly. I'd noticed posts by this same "Norm Zurawski" character on MTBR, and somehow or another I got wind of this nuthouse.

I did see Star Wars in 1977.

I'm not a Star Wars geek but rather it was great childhood memories which added up to a summer I will never forget.

July 9th 1977, I went to Boy Scout Camp(Winnebago, near Split Rock), we always went the 2nd week in July. This was the week of the black out in NYC, it was a hot summer but I remember sleeping with a blanket at night in my tent.

The following Saturday my dad picked me up and we went to Barnegat Light in LBI for 2 weeks. At 11 yrs old I still enjoyed playing at the beach and painting seashells after dinner. At some point during the week, we went to the movies.

I'm heading to Barnegat Light tomorrow with the family for a week of vacation. This is a happy place for me. Cheers

July 9th 1977, I went to Boy Scout Camp(Winnebago, near Split Rock), we always went the 2nd week in July. This was the week of the black out in NYC, it was a hot summer but I remember sleeping with a blanket at night in my tent.

Summer of Sam

Back
Top Bottom