IGVENTURE

Yes, I race without a Garmin.
I used to race with a Garmin and HR monitor but found I rarely looked at it nor went back to look at data, after awhile I questioned the need for it.
You can still use elapsed time as a means of guaging when to eat, just use the start of a lap or a point in a lap you feel comfortable eating to eat/drink and do it consistently.
I do use a Gamin to track pwr when doing intervals. Its a precise way to guage how you are doing and to keep you on track when putting out hard efforts. In a race, I race to win, who I beat is a guage as to how I'm doing;)
I can get behind this, you gauge your output by the results, for me i don’t know enough about the people in this area so it’s hard to tell myself if i did a good job or not by beating/not beating certain people. Plus, without thinking of ride titles for strava I’m sure I’d have way too much free time on my hands.

I'm the kind of person who likes to look at a picture/diagram when I build something, reading instructions is overwhelming to me. All those numbers with regards to training can have the same effect. I haven't done an ftp test in over 5 yrs. I do train with power on road bike and more or less have backed into numbers over the years and I know what is good, bad and mediocre when it comes to power. To simplify, cause I'm a simple guy, numbers start out low at beginning of training and rise with proper work out sessions.

Ask yourself questions, like, when/why did my best numbers occur. When/Why did my worst numbers occur. Try to come up with answers to these questions and replicate the numbers you are looking for, or avoid the numbers you're not looking for, so that on race day you have your best chance of being on the podium. This sounds simple but it's really difficult because you can't find this information in a book or formula, the answer is specific to each person and we have to analyze ourselves and use rational thinking.

We have access to all this great data these days to measure our output but we only go faster when we know how to interpret such data to improve ourself. Socrates said it best, Know thyself, unexamined data will not get you on the podium.

To switch gears, I was watching the tennis US Open over the weekend and want to comment on the Serina Naomi match. I think back to when I was involved in coaching baseball for my son in his competitive travel league. The best umps where the ones who let the kids play and you hardly knew they where there. The chair ump for the women's tennis final Saturday was the complete opposite of this.
His presence was so large that he basically took the game away from the players and made it about him.

Also tennis is so uptight and dare I say sexist, with regards to what women can wear and what is permitted on court. A French woman player got a code violation from a chair umpire for changing her shirt on court, it was repealed by US Tennis. Who the fuck are these chair umpires and do we even need them? If I'm the chair ump, I'm giving her a point for changing on court.
https://people.com/sports/female-tennis-player-violation-removing-shirt-on-court-us-open/

Finally, a pic from Saturday's ride, is this bad?
20180908_102943.jpg

I could not agree with you more about numbers, data and pictures. Some people work better with numbers others with pictures. I am a picture person too. You can be blinded by numbers and not know how to organize the information enough to better from that information. Much of this comes down to some sort of balance.

As for uptight, many country club types sports like golf and tennis are uptight. Just for the record; cycling falls into some of that stuff too. UCI rules are just as bad. No sleeveless jerseys is one of them. I have been at a cross race where officials would not score a first time racing woman in a sleeveless jersey on a 90 degree day. I was also told at Bear Creek National that sleeveless was not allowed. I find that crap totally useless. What for?

To switch gears, I was watching the tennis US Open over the weekend and want to comment on the Serina Naomi match. I think back to when I was involved in coaching baseball for my son in his competitive travel league. The best umps where the ones who let the kids play and you hardly knew they where there. The chair ump for the women's tennis final Saturday was the complete opposite of this.
His presence was so large that he basically took the game away from the players and made it about him.

Also tennis is so uptight and dare I say sexist, with regards to what women can wear and what is permitted on court. A French woman player got a code violation from a chair umpire for changing her shirt on court, it was repealed by US Tennis. Who the fuck are these chair umpires and do we even need them? If I'm the chair ump, I'm giving her a point for changing on court.
https://people.com/sports/female-tennis-player-violation-removing-shirt-on-court-us-open/

My take on the US Open final is that Serena was frustrated because she was being beaten, then took that frustration out on the umpire, who was within his rights to penalize her for her coach "coaching" (which he acknowledged doing). It went down hill for her from there (yes, umpire could have de-esclated too). The whole episode really took away from what should have been an amazing moment for Osaka. Glad that Serena had the sportsmanship to try to set things right during the ceremony.
The double standard in tennis is bizarre and sexist, but this episode isn't the vehicle to highlight it.

I've been channeling my inner Iggy recently; I now have Garmin screens that just have elapsed time. I did 2 back to back cx races yesterday this way. looking back at my HR numbers in the comfort of my air conditioned home,I would have easily pulled the plug and went home. Before my strap wiggled off my nips, my average hr was 189 for 31 minutes.

I think I may do this more often for races. I need to use the clock to make sure I'm eating/drinking, I'm bad at that. It boils down to is the person in front of me and catching them, or dropping the person behind me. Regardless of what my body is telling me, what technology is telling me, I need to catch that person. Thanks Iggs.

My take on the US Open final is that Serena was frustrated because she was being beaten, then took that frustration out on the umpire, who was within his rights to penalize her for her coach "coaching"
Yeah, I'm not saying she was right for the way she carried on, but I don't like when an ump has that much control of the outcome of a match. It always sounds like whining when you don't get your way in a tennis match, but damn raw emotion is really entertaining.

giphy.gif

Regardless of what my body is telling me, what technology is telling me, I need to catch that person
Hellz yeah, the guy in front of you ain't gonna wait for you because your hr needs to come down to recover. Get on the podium or blow up trying, at some point you have to make a move to stay in the game.

On umpires and refs and people in general.....

One needs to know who they are dealing with...They deal with the same officials all the time.
Hell, in corporate softball we had the officials with attitude....
Not to mention people we actually have to work with!

I'll also say if you want to establish yourself, punch the biggest star in the face. standard playground rules. even if you take a beating afterwards,
others think twice about f*cking with you.

my kid got tossed from a baseball game after being called out at 3rd. He thought he was safe, didn't argue. it was the third out,
so he was walking towards the dugout. since it was the third out, the umpire was following him to talk to the plate umpire.
as he was walking into the dugout, he exclaimed to the bench "out? my ass" - tossed for swearing.
The kids know not to engage an umpire, especially that one. just happened to be in earshot.
my kid told him to fuck himself, and didn't say another word, which made for a good lesson.
Most everyone thought the umpire was wrong, don't make him right.

he did not come in second, and only win $2M.

i have 100 things to do today. Maybe i'll visit @Norm.

was walking into the dugout, he exclaimed to the bench "out? my ass" - tossed for swearing.
my kid told him to fuck himself, and didn't say another word, which made for a good lesson.
If you get kicked out, you may as well get your money's worth. Honestly, umpires should not have rabbit ears, there is a certain amount of abuse they are expected to deal with. When you are playing in the finals of a grand slam tennis match and you are the ump, wear thick skin and let the game be played. If i'm umping a little league game and a punky 15 yr old looks at me funny he's gone.

Good day for webs.
20180911_130951.jpg

20180911_131133.jpg

Can u fix my wing?
20180828_084557.jpg

If you get kicked out, you may as well get your money's worth. Honestly, umpires should not have rabbit ears, there is a certain amount of abuse they are expected to deal with. When you are playing in the finals of a grand slam tennis match and you are the ump, wear thick skin and let the game be played. If i'm umping a little league game and a punky 15 yr old looks at me funny he's gone.

Good day for webs.
View attachment 76853
Spiders01.jpg

After taking 8 wks off from any type of training I'm ready to get back to some structured rides. I'm racing Cathedral Pines in November, even though I'm doing it as a team, I like to be in some kind of race shape. Also, I find jra on the road somewhat boring after awhile, focusing on Interval work makes the road more appealing and I feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction after those work outs.

When I mtb it's more free wheeling, I may push a pace but I'm not using a Garmin to track anything. During the week I'll mtb on the SS at Allaire or Hartshorne, come the wknds I like to head north to ride the rocks on my Tallboy. Mtbing with people is always more fun, my road training is strictly business, which is a different kinda fun.

No gears No suspension No problem
20180919_195757.jpg

@ChrisG @Tonychangeyourusername
20180919_195553.jpg

@pooriggy - do you enjoy the road less because you've ridden them all 1000x? I find this true for me.
Yes, it's somewhat mindless jra roads I've traveled many times. Its nice if you just want to mind wander and that can be useful sometimes but I also find doing interval work can be a release in that you are purely in the moment when going as hard as you can for 5 minutes or doing 10 minutes of microbursts.

I guess it's good to switch it up, I've done the jra for 8+wks, which was a nice break from hard riding but now I'm enjoying the interval type stuff on the road. Variation is nice.

Back
Top Bottom