IGVENTURE

walter

Fourth Party
Ah yes, avatar wars, the glory days............ I believe they were right before my time. Norm clued me in on our daily AIM meeting
heythorpe went on to form the wildly successful Aroond NJ site. Im an active member to this day.
And that ytc100 guy...........

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
After some nudging from others to change my Blog title, I've decided to do so. Finding the perfect catch-phrase, word or words to encompass your thoughts, actions and what exactly you are doing at this point in your life can cause one to tense up or over reach in an effort to not sound like a tool, which is probably why my title has been the same since 2011. So maybe I sound like a tool but hopefully not an unusual tool.

After 7 years I guess it's time to revigsit and reigvent, I owe it to myself and use. I'd say something like...join me on my journey, however that line has been used so much in the past by so many people, like such cliches as head em off at the pass, surely you must be joking and I got a pool and a pond. While these are classic lines, I'll try to keep my words meaningful and share real thoughts. I'm not going where others have not gone before however I will put into words my adventures, why I go there, and try to be insightful as well as interesting, which can be a challenge in and of itself.

There is more to cover, but I don't like looking at many paragraphs, reading that much stuff can become like home work, also writing it can be like something you have to barrel through, which is not fun for either of us.

20180812_152411.jpg

I found this yesterday while cleaning up, this is from my first mtb race. Tymor, 2010, H2H Cat 2 40-49, 2nd place. I jumped right into Cat 2 back then, ain't no one got time for Cat 3. While this is nostalgic for me, it's also interesting to note that there is no more Tymor race and there is no 40-49 class.

Some people say I'm a one hit wonder but what happens when I have two.
FB_IMG_1534077015469.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is manopause a thing?

I think D saw you riding in downtown Warren on Sunday, which I guess is yesterday. Was that you?

Yeah, manopause is a thing, some of which I'd say I'm guilty of...like
Wearing socks with slippers and walking around in underwear sometimes in public.
Loss of hair where you need it (scalp)and growth of hair where you don't.(eyebrows, nose, ears)
Hate everything (ie Rick)
Take naps
Wear glasses to look at phone or anything
Say anything you want.

I did a 55 mile loop yesterday out WV Rd to Rattlesnake rd and back, so yeah, that was probably me she saw. It felt good to get in a solid 3 hrs after being off the bike a week.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does manopause come with getting Strava so we can track your road rides and not have to actually ask you if you went for a ride?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does manopause come with getting Strava so we can track your road rides and not have to actually ask you if you went for a ride?
I did have my Garmin on and I uploaded it to GConnect. Actually as I get older there is less data I feel the need to capture and save. I Garmin my road rides, because I like to use pwr to set my pace, however on the mtb I freewheel it, no Garmin, ever. I generally ride the same trails, so I know how long I've been out by how much ground I cover. When I race, I pay someone else to track my time. On wknds mtbing up north with the crew, I'll ask Utah our pedal time so I know how long we were out.
Turn off, Tune in, Enjoy the ride.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I did have my Garmin on and I uploaded it to GConnect. Actually as I get older there is less data I feel the need to capture and save. I Garmin my road rides, because I like to use pwr to set my pace, however on the mtb I freewheel it, no Garmin, ever. I generally ride the same trails, so I know how long I've been out by how much ground I cover. When I race, I pay someone else to track my time. On wknds mtbing up north with the crew, I'll ask Utah our pedal time so I know how long we were out.
Turn off, Tune in, Enjoy the ride.
I agree! It is easy to be a slave to data and start to miss the whole point of being out there. I know quite a few mileage junkies and wonder how much they smile when all they see is the mile.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm Iggys milage bitch on our rides together.
Yes, I use Mitch on my mtb rides south of the bridge and Utah for rides north of the bridge. I'm usually just concerned with how long we rode, but they start talking miles and other stuff.

There are times I rely on data and times that I don't concern myself with it. For me I find the need to disconnect and free wheel it at times. My best thinking comes when my head is rested and free to wonder.

@thegock I detect some anger in your message!!!!
People volunteer because they want to, you can encourage others to help but guilting them into it is poppycock.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Shouldn't you have started a new thread with the new title? I know Norm used to refer to these blogs as chapters.

That being said, I don't see the point of threads for chapters, other than easier to navigate.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@stb222 I didn't want to start a new thread because I would it be able to find the old one. It seems that the search thing sucks here and I would probably forget the name of old blog.

When I leave for vacation, I am on this high, just knowing I'll be off of work for a week. As the days go by, this high fades and I settle into the moments that are the vacation, the good times. I'll admit that I have a depressed feeling as I get closer to the end of the vacation, knowing that it's going to be over.(first world problems). The yoga class I went to on my last day on the island helped me acknowledge how I felt and move on, sometimes just acknowledging a feeling or thought makes things easier to deal with.

While at yoga class the instructor spoke at the end of class, basically saying that life is not a test of endurance, to see how much we can push ourselves, at times we need places to go heal. This is something I greatly believe in and after thinking about this, I can name 3 such places that I feel this healing energy.

The first and most obvious is Barnegat Light. Coming here in August is how I stay connected with my family, spend time on the water kayaking and enjoy yoga daily with Mary. 2nd is the Kingdom Trails in VT, mtbing with the team and enjoying each other's company on and off the trails in a beautiful setting makes the experience highly enjoyable. The last is New Paltz or VT in the winter, depending upon who has good snow for xc skiing. I usually am solo on these excursions, it's tough to find people who are hard-core xc skiers, although Paul M and I did spend quite a bit of time together last year skiing.

So, here are some of the fun moments from my vacation a few weeks ago at Barnegat Light.

The walk to the light house. This hat puts me in old man status, but it's really nice not having the 90 degree sun beat down on your face.
20180810_140339.jpg

Mid week beer run via SS.
20180808_165655.jpg

Enjoying some kayaking with Mary
Below that is an island in Barnegat bay me and Evan paddled to, you can see light house in back ground.
20180808_150027.jpg
20180807_160331.jpg

My mom is 79, at this point in her life her grandchildren are her greatest joy, they can get her to do anything, even party like it's 1999.

20180809_221005.jpg

Kaleidopete

@stb222 I didn't want to start a new thread because I would it be able to find the old one. It seems that the search thing sucks here and I would probably forget the name of old blog.

When I leave for vacation, I am on this high, just knowing I'll be off of work for a week. As the days go by, this high fades and I settle into the moments that are the vacation, the good times. I'll admit that I have a depressed feeling as I get closer to the end of the vacation, knowing that it's going to be over.(first world problems). The yoga class I went to on my last day on the island helped me acknowledge how I felt and move on, sometimes just acknowledging a feeling or thought makes things easier to deal with.

While at yoga class the instructor spoke at the end of class, basically saying that life is not a test of endurance, to see how much we can push ourselves, at times we need places to go heal. This is something I greatly believe in and after thinking about this, I can name 3 such places that I feel this healing energy.

The first and most obvious is Barnegat Light. Coming here in August is how I stay connected with my family, spend time on the water kayaking and enjoy yoga daily with Mary. 2nd is the Kingdom Trails in VT, mtbing with the team and enjoying each other's company on and off the trails in a beautiful setting makes the experience highly enjoyable. The last is New Paltz or VT in the winter, depending upon who has good snow for xc skiing. I usually am solo on these excursions, it's tough to find people who are hard-core xc skiers, although Paul M and I did spend quite a bit of time together last year skiing.

So, here are some of the fun moments from my vacation a few weeks ago at Barnegat Light.

The walk to the light house. This hat puts me in old man status, but it's really nice not having the 90 degree sun beat down on your face.
View attachment 75550

Mid week beer run via SS.
View attachment 75555

Enjoying some kayaking with Mary
Below that is an island in Barnegat bay me and Evan paddled to, you can see light house in back ground.
View attachment 75556View attachment 75558

My mom is 79, at this point in her life her grandchildren are her greatest joy, they can get her to do anything, even party like it's 1999.

View attachment 75559
I'm glad you've been able to find those special places to heal, not everyone can.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
do you race mtbs with no garmin too? how do you make sure you are eating/drinking enough? i still cant go by feel with that stuff and use the elapsed time to make sure im eating X amount per hour and going through a bottle ever 90m or something like that.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
do you race mtbs with no garmin too? how do you make sure you are eating/drinking enough? i still cant go by feel with that stuff and use the elapsed time to make sure im eating X amount per hour and going through a bottle ever 90m or something like that.
Yes, I race without a Garmin.
I used to race with a Garmin and HR monitor but found I rarely looked at it nor went back to look at data, after awhile I questioned the need for it.
You can still use elapsed time as a means of guaging when to eat, just use the start of a lap or a point in a lap you feel comfortable eating to eat/drink and do it consistently.
I do use a Gamin to track pwr when doing intervals. Its a precise way to guage how you are doing and to keep you on track when putting out hard efforts. In a race, I race to win, who I beat is a guage as to how I'm doing;)

Top Bottom