HVAC Repair Recommendation

I hope it is an easy and cheap fix for you, Jim.

I stopped using A/C all together. I was told that I should just replace my 2 units with new units that use newer refrigerant because the old, less eco-friendly refrigerant is hard to get and very expensive. Oh yeah and even though both furnaces are running great, that I should also get 2 new furnaces too so that both systems will then be new.

Thanks, I'm hoping for easy, but it's unlikely to be cheap. I don't own the house, so it's not really me that's paying for it, although it comes out of my rent money, so cheap isn't a huge concern. But I still don't really want to be violated.

My parents are going to swing by with a window unit for me to use in the meantime. Living without a/c is not acceptable.

For $40, I'll come to your house and set it on fire for you.

Nah that's ok. Someone will eventually want my money and return my calls. Or they won't, and I'll live with a window air conditioner like a heathen.

I stopped using A/C all together. I was told that I should just replace my 2 units with new units that use newer refrigerant because the old, less eco-friendly refrigerant is hard to get and very expensive. Oh yeah and even though both furnaces are running great, that I should also get 2 new furnaces too so that both systems will then be new.
I went the Costco route to replace everything, was still expensive, but much less sticker shock than the competitive bids I got from other HVAC contractors. overall 30% less than others, job was okay but not the best. But they came back to fix what I didn't like quickly, because they don't want to lose their Costco acct which is 50% of their business. Two complete units will run you between $15K to $30K, so not chump change in my wallet at least.

It's the deckfore or
Henway.

Or probably a thermistor.

Thanks all for the advice and recommendations! A contractor that my dad has worked with in the past recommended a guy, and he stopped in here on his way home from work. He said we were low on refrigerant, and he added more. He said there must be a slow leak somewhere based on that and what I told him, but hopefully we are good for at least a year or two. He suggested that we replace the system as it is ancient, but it sounds like we'll hopefully have some time. It's also possible that this is only a temporary fix and it's going to stop working again, but in the meantime:

4fbc10c17e69cbdbaebbeb5c0c679899.jpg

I went the Costco route to replace everything, was still expensive, but much less sticker shock than the competitive bids I got from other HVAC contractors. overall 30% less than others, job was okay but not the best. But they came back to fix what I didn't like quickly, because they don't want to lose their Costco acct which is 50% of their business. Two complete units will run you between $15K to $30K, so not chump change in my wallet at least.

Thanks @qclabrat for the info. Good to know. I figured $22-26K+ for 2 complete systems.

What about a contactor?

So it was working fine yesterday, and then this morning the fan outside was running constantly when the a/c was not on in the house anymore. I checked in the attic and the evaporator coils and pipes were all frozen up. I turned the temp down and the house cooled and the ice all melted. I did some researching and testing, and it must be a dirty, corroded, or faulty contactor. I turned the temp up inside so the a/c would shut off, and the condenser fan outside of course stayed on. I went out there and gave the unit a good whack where I think the contactor is, and the fan immediately shut off. I turned the a/c back on and then off, and the fan again stayed on. It once again shut off when I gave it a good hit, so that's gonna have to be replaced.

Post up or PM me if you find someone you like. I have a condenser fan that runs constantly. I've been using the breaker as an on/off.

When your a/c reaches temp inside and shuts off, go out to the condenser fan and give it a good whack right above where the two pipes connect to it. If the fans shuts off, you probably need a new contactor switch too. Looks like they are about $10 at Home Depot, and they look pretty easy to replace.

The plot thickens. I opened up the condenser unit outside to see what kind of contactor switch I need, and after closing it back up, the fan won't turn on. It also looked unsurprisingly horrendous on the inside. I guess that's what happens when you install a central air conditioning system and let it sit for forty years without any maintenance. Good times.

The plot thickens. I opened up the condenser unit outside to see what kind of contactor switch I need, and after closing it back up, the fan won't turn on. It also looked unsurprisingly horrendous on the inside. I guess that's what happens when you install a central air conditioning system and let it sit for forty years without any maintenance. Good times.
I think it's time, I'll also chip in to set it on fire.
07-1433679421-fire-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom