HVAC Repair Recommendation

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So my A/C isn't really working very well. It's blowing air but the air isn't very cold. The fan outside runs 24/7. There is some freezing up happening on the hose to the fan unit outside, and also up in the attic on some of the pipes going into the main unit. I obviously know nothing about air conditioners, but I did some googling and it sounds possible that the evaporator coil is just dirty. Anybody have a recommendation for an HVAC guy in Morris County? I'm in Parsippany. Thanks!

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Had a similar situation a couple years ago...called in buddy, mechanical contractor, and I had a frozen line of something on my blower/furnace, literally had ice covering the fins etc in my unit in basement. He told me to turn off and let it thaw, and would be OK...and it was...

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tried that and it thawed out, but it just froze back up again. It would have been nice if it was that easy.

qclabrat

you may have a similar problem I had in my previous house. you may need more refrigerant. What happened is that the ac stayed on constantly to keep the house cool, but the low refrigerant didn't cool well causing the lines and coils to condensate and freeze. If you have PSE&G sign up for their worry free plan, they can put in up to 10lbs of refrigerant and the annual cost will be close to a contractor call, plus you'll be covered for minor repairs for a year

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some of what I read online says central air needs routine maintenance every year or two. I've been in this house for over ten years and nobody has ever looked at it. It's possible that it was never serviced in any way, so there could be several things wrong. I'm technically renting, although I don't really have a landlord. However, my rent money pays for shit that needs to be done, so I'd rather just pay someone to fix it for me. I was hoping someone knew an HVAC guy in Morris County, but I'll just call some randoms today, or follow @soundz's advice.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just had the same exact situation this spring. Solved by hosing out the coils and adding some refrigerant to system. Runs great now. Obviously checking for a leak is imperative, too.

Oh my guy had me run the fan with the A/C off overnight before he showed up to defrost the lines.

Mr.Moto

What @qclabrat is likely the next step. If the filters and condenser coils are clean, there is a chance you are low on refrigerant. If there is a sight glass in the liquid line going to the evaporator, you can look at it to see if there are bubbles in it while the unit is running. Bubbles can mean you are low on refrigerant or have a clogged liquid line/filter. The system could have slowly lost refrigerant over the years or it could have developed a leak. If you are a little low, then a charge of refrigerant should do it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh and I should add that I had the same exact situation. We solved it by having the neighbor give me $20 while I set it on fire.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We solved it by having the neighbor give me $20 while I set it on fire.

I'm trying to make my house cooler. Setting shit on fire will make it hotter.

I appreciate all of the advice, as it will make me not sound like an idiot when I call in an expert. But I'm really just looking for a recommendation on an HVAC guy that I can call to come in and fix this for me. I'm too busy riding bikes and climbing on shit to bother learning how to fix stuff.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 to this. A dirty filter can really cripple a unit that would function perfectly otherwise.

I replaced the filter in the house last month when I first turned the a/c on for the sesson. I don't know if there are any other filters to worry about.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I replaced the filter in the house last month when I first turned the a/c on for the season. I don't know if there are any other filters to worry about.
Nope, that's it.

Sounds like you need refrigerant.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Post up or PM me if you find someone you like. I have a condenser fan that runs constantly. I've been using the breaker as an on/off.

I'll probably just set it on fire.

Will do. So far left messages with three people. I assume they are all super busy with people in similar situations, and will likely want to screw me in a very uncomfortable place.

Top Bottom