How the hell are we supposed to retire?

freakanomics and @Santapez have caused me to open a vanguard account. Took like 5 minutes. Wonder how long the move will take from fidelity or if they will call to beg me back.

freakanomics and @Santapez have caused me to open a vanguard account. Took like 5 minutes. Wonder how long the move will take from fidelity or if they will call to beg me back.

they'll call - ignore them.
think it took 5 days for me to roll pershing -> vanguard

Then how are we supposed to buy drugs, blood diamonds, pay hitmen, etc???

I don't know ... if only people who were interested in purchasing those things were also interested in the kind of anonymity that might lead them to some manner of illicit, undocumented web portal, then I suppose there could be some kind of marketplace thingy some imaginative young entrepreneur could throw together ...

That's all I did. When I was "into it" it was like 5% of my investment. It's since blown the F up and exploded into half of my investment now. I haven't bought any in years. If I get mildly interested in something I think it's worth throwing a paycheck or two at. And every time I go somewhere and I'm like "how the F is there not a chipotle within an hour of here?" I buy a couple shares ;) This method has not been working though. Damn hippies keep buying produce from local anti science hippies and now they keep making people sick.
that's impressive that you had the balls to speculate this over 5 years ago, would you consider cashing out at some point and move to the Bahamas?

man goes to church and prays every day:
"dear God, I am broke, desperate, destitute. my children are in jeopardy and I have no hope. please let me win the lottery"
after many days of this, the church grows dark, a beam of light comes in thru the stained glass windows and aims at the guy
a deep voice says

"meet me halfway my son, buy a lottery ticket"

that is my retirement plan at this juncture...

Think I mentioned this before but good health insurance is critical to retirement, especially if you retire before age 65. Even if you're healthy you never know when a catastrophic health care event can happen, and the consequences if you don't have good coverage. Seeing it first hand.

Think I mentioned this before but good health insurance is critical to retirement, especially if you retire before age 65. Even if you're healthy you never know when a catastrophic health care event can happen, and the consequences if you don't have good coverage. Seeing it first hand.

Keep an eye on "max out-of-pocket" numbers. Individual, and family. Good advice.

Bitcoin about to break through $10,000
Btc+bch+bcg is now around $12,000
Ether may go through $500 soon.

are you hedging against collapse?
Not that i'm predicting it, but big gains do require special attention.

Don't underestimate my ability as a weirdo to stay young at heart and continue wearing tight-ass jeans!

yes. exactly my point. :D

clothes will be 3d printed out of mylar, and you'll be wearing skinny jeans. There's that guy from the 1900s......

[QUOTE="Too many young people think of retirement as the time when they get to do whatever they want all the time. [/QUOTE]

And lets not forget your health might not cooperate with doing whatever you want all the time as you age.

Is everything Ok with your health Rick? I hope all is well.

I'm fine. Wife had a serious accident in the home tho - spent 11 days in ICU, 13 days in rehab in Chester. Much improved tho, getting discharged tomorrow. But I have seen some very sad situations the last ~ 4 weeks.

I'm fine. Wife had a serious accident in the home tho - spent 11 days in ICU, 13 days in rehab in Chester. Much improved tho, getting discharged tomorrow. But I have seen some very sad situations the last ~ 4 weeks.
Sorry to hear that, hope all continues to mend. Our health is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom