How the hell are we supposed to retire?

rick81721

Lothar
Here's another pro tip - debt free. Makes for easy living when your major monthly expense is less than $1000 in combined home owners association fees and property taxes, plus having low cost utilities (i.e. no heating expense).

rick81721

Lothar
I love Silver!!

hqdefault.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
is it possible to get this whole thread translated into English?

Cliffs notes: if you want to actually retire while you can still enjoy it, don't listen to clowns pandering "get rich quick" schemes. Invest consistently in traditional vehicles, hopefully with company match - more aggressively as you are younger and transition to somewhat more conservative as you get closer.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Cliffs notes: if you want to actually retire while you can still enjoy it, don't listen to clowns pandering "get rich quick" schemes. Invest consistently in traditional vehicles, hopefully with company match - more aggressively as you are younger and transition to somewhat more conservative as you get closer.
Double digit percentage point contributions, employer match, and index funds doesn't mean you can't have some play money in crypto on the side.

It's hard to get the same adrenaline rush from a Vanguard fund's candlestick chart that you get from Ethereum :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

rick81721

Lothar
Double digit percentage point contributions, employer match, and index funds doesn't mean you can't have some play money in crypto on the side.

It's hard to get the same adrenaline rush from a Vanguard fund's candlestick chart that you get from Ethereum :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes nothing wrong with a little speculation in new stocks, precious metals, etc.

And obviously the other half of the equation is to live within your means.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

or

images

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'm planning on being cash flow positive in retirement, with no change of habits.
(there might be a change during tanking periods, but i doubt it)
so i dismiss the 'have to live on a retiree's budget line of reasoning.

it has been an endurance race, and will continue to be.

besides, never know when you'll get paid for rendering your opinion. now that is a job for a retiree!!!

and 5.5% is not an investment return, that is income, with safe equity.
so the math is easy - equity&.055 + social security+RMDs = income stream.
(RMD is a required minimum distribution of holdings in a retirement account if you are over 70 or hold some other types of accounts.)

thegock

Look I'm sorry you are so obsessed with me but it is obvious you have serious "issues". From now on I'll leave you alone. Good luck in life.

Rick,

Please move to FLA and stop posting. Then I can achieve my lifelong ambition and be the "most negative poster on this board". Unless I can get a "posting vacation", my other ambition...

Sincerely,

#wingman

ReverendNewman

You will be lucky if you can work until you die. The unlucky ones will wither and starve in damp cardboard boxes under a bridge down by the river. The concept of retirement is a fantasy perpetuated by anyone who longs for the post WWII era (1945-1970) of massive, seemingly pyramid scheme level economic growth made possible by high taxes, big government spending, incredible volumes of domestic manufacturing, and huge population growth.

Generation X (Douglas Coupland's Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture, not MTV's or ESPN's X generation), born in the late 60s through~1980, is the first generation to make less than their parents and it only gets worse from there. Globalization piles on the misery because there is nothing a corporation, city, or state can do to keep $20/hr manufacturing jobs in the US when they can easily be exported to Mexico for $1.50/hr or China for $1.50/day.
So, so true. I'll work until they throw the dirt on me. And I dont have a problem with that! Its being without a job that would scare me. I dont see how these young kids aren't seeing it. Times were flush back in the 80's. I dont think kids today will ever see that. Coming outta college 100, 200 large in debt and a job for 40k waiting for them if they're really lucky. Luckily, I have a good job/salary with a healthy pension, if I make it there. I'm debt free, condo is paid off, no weddings or college tuitions to worry about. I worked hard, suffered and sacrificed through my 20's, 30's and 40's, most of my life working 2 jobs. I'm just on cruise control now.

Last edited:

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
so one could invest in the infrastructure
This is a big part of it. A lot of times, in Ethereum, you hear people referring to contracts or various verification operations ("mining blocks") as costing "gas". Basically, it comes down to these calculations needing to cost someone some sort of fee. More explanation here: https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/3/what-is-meant-by-the-term-gas
**Note: If you've never visited StackExchange or StackOverflow, be prepared to potentially enter the biggest clusterf**k on the internet. Where everyone is smarter than you and lets you know it. And they're not wrong most of the time.

I think this is what frustrates @gtluke when these discussions happen. I don't know how he views it (and don't want to speak for him), but based on reading what he writes I think we feel similarly; that the underlying infrastructure is very exciting. Putting money into the currency is more of an infrastructure investment, as fees for "gas" are paid using the actual ether token. It's less akin to currency trading and more like commodities or durable goods from that perspective. One day, the EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine, on which all of this code executes) could be huge and require lots of Ethereum in fee to continue running. In a few years time, 1ETH could be very valuable as a fee for transaction processing.

Disclaimer: I did make some money in ETH in a relatively short period of time, but I set a hard limit on myself to close some positions at a certain level, and I didn't get greedy. This is key with any short-term play. HOWEVER, I don't think either myself or Luke are claiming it to be a get-rich-quick scheme. It's a fairly long view, from where I sit. No doubt is it a fairly risky one, as well. Like @soundz said above, regulators could swoop in and strangle the system to the point where it's no longer viable and suddenly your ETH is worth nothing. We're already getting there - the IRS has released literature regarding how to claim capital gains from crypto. Personally, 90ish% of my investments are in the methods that others have espoused elsewhere in other threads. Traditional tax-advantaged vehicles, index funds, yadda yadda. But this is fun for me, and there's a certain risk-reward relationship that you need to be both able and willing to accept. Or, as my generation likes to say....HASHTAG YOLO

People generally assume that crypto fans are crazy (I'll fess up, I'm pretty nuts) and are just trying to pump and dump (some do). I'm just very excited that there's a new way of doing things that may or may not be better than the status quo, and it looks like it's on the fast track to upset the apple cart. I find pleasure in upsetting apple carts of many flavors. But more than that, people more broadly could really benefit from it, and I think that's pretty cool.

I think this is called "fanboy"-ing. See also: fatbikes.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What you just said made my brain hurt.

Which is why I just nowadays stick with boring Vanguard index funds method of investing and stick with that. I can sleep at night and I have better more stable positive changes in investments compared to spending time trying to beat the general market. It's not just a matter of when to get in, it's even more important when to get OUT.

rlb

@StayHydrated thanks for the perspective. For a while I've been thinking about the viability of the current retirement savings path (401k, IRA, etc.), and have been looking for another basket so to speak (though I haven't been looking too hard). I think tossing a few bucks in this direction (nothing crazy) is a worthwhile experiment, just to see what it does. However I think I might wait for the price to tank a little bit again.

rlb

Maybe someone should lop all of this off into it's own thread, we pooped on Norm's blog pretty hard this time around.

Top Bottom