Evidence of new tick-borne illness

Permethrin is the way to go. Toxicity is practically non existent in humans, when you follow directions (ie, don't spray it on you). FYI, it's a derivative of the chrysanthemum flower.

Causes paralysis in insects...paralyzed bugs can't bite.

I had a bottle of that stuff from when I was going to go to Africa. The CDC type of people I saw during that time sold it to me and told me this goes on your clothes w/o any more warning than that. I never ended up going to Africa, but I sprayed myself with that stuff all over even on my skin and emptied the bottle during all my rides. After I used all of it I read the instructions and was like oh crap. I didn't die. Now I only use 97% deet because I seem to be crazy allergic to deep woods mosquito bites.

Last edited:
A lint roller sounds like a really good idea, but how well does it work when your clothes are soaking wet from sweat?

to save money you can buy permethrin at tractor supply in a 10% concentrate (for farm animals). 1.4 oz of the 10% into a 28oz spray bottle of water gets you the equivalent concentration of the stuff they sell for spraying on your clothes (o.5% permethrin). For $20 to buy the concentrate you can make 5 gallons of the stuff.
Yep, that's what I do also. I used to buy the Sawyer stuff, but it's really expensive when you consider most of the bottle is water. Although, it's a good idea to read some reviews and check the other ingredients, as some of the concentrates have foul-smelling carriers. The one I use right now (and which seems to be a popular choice) is Permethrin SFR, which comes as 36.8% Permethrin. It is a bit odoriferous when wet, but the odor goes away once dry.

So, my clothes get treated with Permethrin every few washes, and then in addition, I use Picaridin on my skin as an alternative to DEET.

I'm one of those folks who ticks don't seem to care for. I'd very rarely find any on me. However, all it takes is one. Three or four days after returning home from a camping trip a few years ago, I found one hiding in an inconspicuous location. A little while later, the telltale bulls-eye rash developed. The first blood test for Lyme (at approximately 2 weeks) came back negative, but the next one (at approximately one month) came back positive.

I had a bottle of that stuff from when I was going to go to Africa. The CDC type of people I saw during that time sold it to me and told me this goes on your clothes w/o any more warning than that. I never ended up going to Africa, but I sprayed myself with that stuff all over even on my skin and emptied the bottle during all my rides. After I used all of it I read the instructions and was like oh crap. I didn't die. Now I only use 97% deet because I seem to be crazy allergic to deep woods mosquito bites.

Yeah, even wildly misused, adverse reactions only happen in something like 3% of people. It's a different story for people who are actually producing stuff, but for the end user, short of bathing in it, you'll be fine.

sauce: I used to work for a veterinary practice.

Pro-tip: permethrin's effectiveness drops rapidly the more skin you have exposed. You can't rely on it for protection if all you're wearing is sandals, shorts, and a sleeveless shirt. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that you should supplement with DEET/another preparation. You can use citronella oil as a safe alternative to DEET...just remember that you can use a whole hell of a lot less DEET than citronella--it's kind of like removing sticker residue...you can use a ton of baby oil, or you can use a tiny bit of acetone or high-test alcohol.

Pulled on off of me last night at 1:30am...

Not sure if it was on me after riding yesterday even after a shower or if it was on the dog who hangs on our bed until we go to bed

I posted this in the SSAP thread but one lap of the SSAP course and so far I pulled SEVENTY TWO ticks off my dog. I'm sure there are dozens I haven't found too.
It's freakin bonkers.
Only 5 on me, I"m also the "I never get ticks" person. Maybe 3 a season is my average.
i-xwHcWSJ-X2.jpg

I posted this in the SSAP thread but one lap of the SSAP course and so far I pulled SEVENTY TWO ticks off my dog. I'm sure there are dozens I haven't found too.
It's freakin bonkers.
Only 5 on me, I"m also the "I never get ticks" person. Maybe 3 a season is my average.
i-xwHcWSJ-X2.jpg

Want to partner with me to invent a thing that we attach to bikes, hikers, trail dogs that sprays natural tick repellent / killer along the trail edges as we move along?

It's freakin bonkers.
i-xwHcWSJ-X2.jpg

Did you turn that stove on after, and where is the picture of that? The number of ticks is directly proportional to the number of deer/rabbits/other vermin in the area. Curious, do you ever take the dog down into Big Piece behind your house, and what is the result? Place is loaded with deer, but floods.

Did you turn that stove on after, and where is the picture of that? The number of ticks is directly proportional to the number of deer/rabbits/other vermin in the area. Curious, do you ever take the dog down into Big Piece behind your house, and what is the result? Place is loaded with deer, but floods.
I have but only in the winter. I ride through there a lot but only with long pants and knee high boots.

I had a tick crawling on my leg yesterday when I was in my driveway getting ready for a ride. Must have picked him up when I took three steps in my front lawn.

my vet tells me the chipmunks are carriers of the deer ticks,
the dog has had a few in the past month and she only goes out to use the bathroom and is treated with frontline
She was diagnosed with Lyme earlier this year already

between the deers and chipmunks I don't know which is my least favorite animal in the world...

Alright, all you "I rarely ever get a tick" people are pissing me off.

I grew up screwing around in the woods and I'd be hard pressed to recall a day in my youth when I DIDN'T have a tick on me.

They still get me and the dogs in the back yard now, even tho the dogs love chasing the deer away :eek:
Little bastards have radar for me. Its just a miracle I don't have all these tick diseases. I did develop a habit of always looking for them on me tho, so the majority I find are crawlers.

I guess it's time to get rid of that leaf pile...we already poisoned the dogs with some chemical this year for ticks.

seems like the topical treatments are not effective this year and my vet thinks I should do it every 3 weeks instead of monthly
I'm actually switching over to the oral doses as he thinks they are more effective

Back
Top Bottom