Evidence of new tick-borne illness

gtluke

The Moped
got 3 on me at wayway on saturday. but yesterday at jungle I got zero, even went through the tall grass to dumptruck.
anecdotal evidence, but good excuse to ride jungle more.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm finding 3-5 ticks on me every day. Yesterday I pulled 12 off of me just from hanging out in the yard. Fortunately non were deer ticks.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
are some people just more susceptible to attracting ticks? (knock on wood) but the only time i've ever had ticks on me was from helping out with a town cleanup. of course, one could argue i should be riding more...

rick81721

Lothar
are some people just more susceptible to attracting ticks? (knock on wood) but the only time i've ever had ticks on me was from helping out with a town cleanup. of course, one could argue i should be riding more...

Could be, ticks don't seem to like me much, I rarely find them on me after rides, I think I can count on one hand the number I've found the last few years. Or maybe I'm too fast for them! Mosquitoes are a different story tho...

Mountain Bike Mike

I'm noticing more ticks are in open areas.. The nica race in front of tent row.. pulled one off my dog and later one off me and one of our racers pulled on off him.. just hanging out in the grass field.

Yesterday at nica practice, one kid pulled one off his leg and we were riding in an open field and paved bike path

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Maybe you just aren't finding them? ;)

I found a deer tick that had bit me after riding Mercer in March. Luckily it was only a few hours so it had not barfed back in me yet and I have no had any symptoms of lymes.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
are some people just more susceptible to attracting ticks?
From the CDC: Ticks find their hosts by detecting animals´ breath and body odors, or by sensing body heat, moisture, and vibrations. I could see where some people might be more susceptible than others.

^This process of ticks waiting for one or more of these markers and then stretching its legs out to grab onto you is called "questing". Makes ticks sound like they have a dungeonmaster's guide at home or something. "D20 roll to attach to human..."

I have read that CO2 is a not insignificant marker for ticks (and other insects, one being mosquitos) to find potential hosts.

Anyone have feedback on/experience with treating their cycling clothing with permethrin? I bought some but am reluctant to spray it on all of my lycra and potentially wreck it. Would also be interested to hear if anyone has feedback on how often they reapply it, if they've had skin interactions, etc. I'm immunocompromised and had Lyme a few years ago (on top of the existing immune crap) and would prefer to not have do go through that again. I experienced one of these firsthand and it was probably the most miserable few hours of my entire life. Not exaggerating.

rlb

Count me as one of those people who rarely sees ticks on me. Though I do take a deet bath before going into the woods, so maybe that's more effective than I thought? Either way, those little shits are creepy.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought Permethrin once but never applied it to my clothes. I use some Coleman 40% deet bug spray that I get from Amazon, and I coat myself in it before heading out. I used to rarely get ticks on me, like I usually only pick off a few ticks a year that are crawling on me. I've been picking 2-4 ticks off me per ride the past few weeks though. It's getting crazy. Luckily, they are the big wood ticks or something, and I can feel them crawling on me. I've only had one deer tick so far. I'm not sure if the deet will prevent them from biting or not, but it doesn't seem to keep them off me anymore. In the past few years, I've only had one embedded, and none so far this year. I had Lyme once (pre-mountain biking) and was fortunate to have all the classic symptoms, including the bullseye rash. Antibiotics cleared it right up with no lasting issues.

JDurk

Anyone have feedback on/experience with treating their cycling clothing with permethrin? I bought some but am reluctant to spray it on all of my lycra and potentially wreck it. Would also be interested to hear if anyone has feedback on how often they reapply it, if they've had skin interactions, etc.

This is a pretty good guide. https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents.html
I used to use a spray containing DEET on my mtb shoes, socks, up my legs and on my bib shorts. Stopped after reading that DEET damaged lycra, spandex and car paint. Only use on skin now and take care not to get on clothes containing stretchy material.

Have used Permethrin on long sleeve shirts, jeans, socks and boots used for trail maintenance days. While others at TM found ticks, I never did. Directions clearly state not to use it on skin, only on clothes and allow to dry after applying.

gtluke

The Moped
I'm one of the people that rarely gets ticks and bites. But I'm getting them, so it's bad. I also never use bug spray because I'm gluten free and anti science (Monsanto)
My wife got 12 mosque bites yesterday and more than that the day before. I've gotten zero so far this year.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stopped after reading that DEET damaged lycra, spandex and car paint. Only use on skin now and take care not to get on clothes containing stretchy material.

I've been told to be careful with deet on climbing equipment and ropes, because it can degrade the material. I've been spraying it on all my biking clothes along with my arms and legs before heading out for years, and I haven't noticed any issues though.

Top Bottom