Drivetrain

Hi newbie here.. Any inputs with Deore to XT and SLX? how do we shift properly?
What exactly are you asking? SLX is good, and XT is just slightly lighter SLX. If you're taking in the same #of gears, they're all interchangeable. As for shifting performance, try to get the best shifter you can afford, and drop the derailleur if you have to.

Hi @Richard
what are you riding now and what's it got
we all itch to upgrade, but it's sometimes not the best economic decision, but it is fun regardless

Hi newbie here.. Any inputs with Deore to XT and SLX? how do we shift properly?
Shifting performance IMO, is about indexing. As long as its indexed well, should be good to go.
My philosophy is to go mid line (I'm cheap LOL) so I have no experience with the current XT (altho I do have an old XT RD). Having said that, I went from somewhat current versions of Acera to Deore to SLX. I did notice that as you go up the hierarchy, the shifting is a bit more smoother. Not much of a weight weenie when it comes MTB (again... I'm too cheap) so never really paid much attention in the weight aspect.

Last edited:
I have a 10 spd XTR setup on one of my bikes and I have to say its really nice. Much much better than the SLX or Deore I have had. I used to have a 9spd shadow XT setup which was good but I'm guessing Shimano made some big changes in the 10 spd designs to challenge SRAM which I had switched to almost exclusively. I'm still going to ditch the XTR for XO but I think the performance gap has closed between the two there. Now if you are talking 11spd, no clue as I'm not there yet. Maybe next year...

What exactly are you asking? SLX is good, and XT is just slightly lighter SLX. If you're taking in the same #of gears, they're all interchangeable. As for shifting performance, try to get the best shifter you can afford, and drop the derailleur if you have to.

This.

I have a 10 spd XTR setup on one of my bikes and I have to say its really nice. Much much better than the SLX or Deore I have had. I used to have a 9spd shadow XT setup which was good but I'm guessing Shimano made some big changes in the 10 spd designs to challenge SRAM which I had switched to almost exclusively. I'm still going to ditch the XTR for XO but I think the performance gap has closed between the two there. Now if you are talking 11spd, no clue as I'm not there yet. Maybe next year...
XT... what?... R? lol
That kinda stuff doesn't exist in my vocabulary. Way... WAY out of my league.

back to the gear ratio issue: if I don't care about the high end (i.e. I am slow anyway, not worried about top speed), then is there any other problem with matching the chainring to a 11-36 10-speed so I get the same granny gear I get out of my current 3x9? (Assuming I keep same wheels, hub, cranks)

back to the gear ratio issue: if I don't care about the high end (i.e. I am slow anyway, not worried about top speed), then is there any other problem with matching the chainring to a 11-36 10-speed so I get the same granny gear I get out of my current 3x9? (Assuming I keep same wheels, hub, cranks)
Not sure what granny you have but 24x36 should be pretty close to 30x42.... hmm maybe 30x42 is slightly harder. Not sure if there is anything smaller than 30t for a regular spider tho...

North Shore Billet makes a 28T that's offset that will fit the inner/granny bolt circle. That still wont get you the same as your current 3X9 set up, But pretty damn close.

Do you spend any time on the road on this bike? I have a 30t with 11-16 cassette and on the trails it's great, but it spins out on the road very quickly. That would be my only hesitation going smaller than 30 up front.

Do you spend any time on the road on this bike? I have a 30t with 11-16 cassette and on the trails it's great, but it spins out on the road very quickly. That would be my only hesitation going smaller than 30 up front.
This is exactly the reason why I have a 36t N/W in my parts bin. I doubt I would get to a point where I would use it anytime soon... but that was the reasoning behind it.
Hopefully I will get there some day.... so.... anyone wants to buy it? LOL jk

Reactions: rlb
thanks, looks like I can make this work, either with standard 11-32 or with a range extender. I'll just keep track of what gears I am using for a while and go from there.

Hi @Richard
what are you riding now and what's it got
we all itch to upgrade, but it's sometimes not the best economic decision, but it is fun regardless
Hi qclabrat, I got Talon 2 27.5 with Deore RD FD and shifters, epixon fork.. just a noob rocker wannabe.. hoping to get there

Last edited:
Someone else has a Talon and he replaced every single part except the seat post.... oh wait... that's me!
Im not going to replace the groupset anymore, I think ill settle with my current groupset deore.. whats important for me is that it shifts smooth like butter and it is a bit lighter so i already got the epixon.. well maybe not at this time.. will be enjoying it for quite a while before thinking of replacing any =) ( I dont have the dough to replace these LOL)

Im not going to replace the groupset anymore, I think ill settle with my current groupset deore.. whats important for me is that it shifts smooth like butter and it is a bit lighter so i already got the epixon.. well maybe not at this time.. will be enjoying it for quite a while before thinking of replacing any =) ( I dont have the dough to replace these LOL)
Ride it until something breaks.
I don't want to say that I made a mistake not doing that but could have not wasted money. Making all the changes was a good experience in learning how to wrench on the bike and not to mention, mine was bottom of the line 4.

If you get the itch, buy used parts to keep the cost down.

Ride it until something breaks.
I don't want to say that I made a mistake not doing that but could have not wasted money. Making all the changes was a good experience in learning how to wrench on the bike and not to mention, mine was bottom of the line 4.

If you get the itch, buy used parts to keep the cost down.
Believe me I got the itch.. my first bike back home.. It got all replaced.. I replaced frame to Merida, then groupset from tourney to Alivio (rd fd) then shifters from Altus to Alivio.. alivio hollowtech cranks.. all that was left on the orig bike was the hubs, spoke and casette.. and the hydro brakes.. as of the moment.. Im not leaning on changing any.. (or else my wife will kill me LOL) used to be an adrenaline junkie with sportbikes ( knee drags on canyons, circuit racing..) not anymore.. got old. I guess..

Last edited:
Seriously... I think i go used part moreso because of this reason. No UPS delivery to get caught with lol
Aaaah! the advantage and disadvantages of being tied up LOL! but all is good! cant complain about being tied up on a marriage.. I love my wife and kids and will do all to serve and protect my family =)

( sounds like a "cop" line LOL)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting me used parts as long as I can afford them and still is in good condition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom