Drivetrain

qclabrat

Believe me I got the itch.. my first bike back home.. It got all replaced.. I replaced frame to Merida, then groupset from tourney to Alivio (rd fd) then shifters from Altus to Alivio.. alivio hollowtech cranks.. all that was left on the orig bike was the hubs, spoke and casette.. and the hydro brakes.. as of the moment.. Im not leaning on changing any.. (or else my wife will kill me LOL) used to be an adrenaline junkie with sportbikes ( knee drags on canyons, circuit racing..) not anymore.. got old. I guess..
Merida? did you previously live in EU or Asia?
Deore and SLX are fine for the casual rider, once you ride more, get a new bike to feed your addiction (you will eventually lust for a full suspension, trust me...)
jumping up 2 grades makes a big difference IMO
Don't be that guy that rides their XTR bike once a month (gasp!)

Ride it until something breaks.
^this, though C8N and I are amongst the cheapest addicts here, so listen but don't follow by example.

Seriously... I think i go used part moreso because of this reason. No UPS delivery to get caught with lol
amateur, a few tips
1) connect your paypal to an electronic bank account or card, no mailed statements. Money Order your payments from cash you find in the couch. (treat it like your own Swiss acct)
2) buy during vacations and holidays, there's so much extra spending during those times it's hard to keep track (take advantage of the chaos)
3) ship to work or friend's/neighbor's house (I've done this for over 20 bikes/frames)
4) make a big deal about selling bikes and parts (give your family half of sales in cash, cash is king, even $20)
5) sell things your family doesn't need, just tell them you donated them (no I don't feel guilty selling the beanie baby collection)
6) strip your unused bikes, hide the frames, get tubs for parts bin (wheels suck, can't hide those)
7) get bikes of all colors (because that one red or yellow bike will stick like a sore thumb)
8) donate what you don't need, gotta pay it forward for all that deceit ;)

Richard

Yeah, Asia.. I wont dare getting another bike.. not until few years pass.. at least.. I don't have the luxury to spend more for now, leaning more on some getting fit and having the fun factor.. but could not afford to spend more. XTR - dang those are serious dough man.. I wouldn't dare for one of those.. too expensive.

Merida? did you previously live in EU or Asia?
Deore and SLX are fine for the casual rider, once you ride more, get a new bike to feed your addiction (you will eventually lust for a full suspension, trust me...)
jumping up 2 grades makes a big difference IMO
Don't be that guy that rides their XTR bike once a month (gasp!)

^this, though C8N and I are amongst the cheapest addicts here, so listen but don't follow by example.

amateur, a few tips
1) connect your paypal to an electronic bank account or card, no mailed statements. Money Order your payments from cash you find in the couch. (treat it like your own Swiss acct)
2) buy during vacations and holidays, there's so much extra spending during those times it's hard to keep track (take advantage of the chaos)
3) ship to work or friend's/neighbor's house (I've done this for over 20 bikes/frames)
4) make a big deal about selling bikes and parts (give your family half of sales in cash, cash is king, even $20)
5) sell things your family doesn't need, just tell them you donated them (no I don't feel guilty selling the beanie baby collection)
6) strip your unused bikes, hide the frames, get tubs for parts bin (wheels suck, can't hide those)
7) get bikes of all colors (because that one red or yellow bike will stick like a sore thumb)
8) donate what you don't need, gotta pay it forward for all that deceit ;)

so listen but don't follow by example. <<<<<<<<< gave me a good laugh there LOL I remember my Dad saying that to me when I was a kid LMAO -- turned out I surpassed him with it LOL

Last edited:

Richard

Looking For: 2nd hand budget Deore XT hollowTech Cranks and Bottom Bracket / budget HollowTech Cranks

Please HELP! =)

Top Bottom