Coffee

French press and electric kettle here. The old school kettle gets used when power is out. Sometimes I use pour over if I just wanna make 1 cup quick. Have a couple moka pots too. I promised someone on here that I would give them a moka pot, but I forget who. All that, yet I've been drinking a lot of Earl Grey tea lately.

I'm not a coffee snob, but I enjoy a good cup.
All the votes for French press, I might have dig it out for tomorrow.
I use a Krups drip most days- programmable- nothing beats waking up with coffee ready.
Nespresso machine for espresso- not a snob machine I'm sure, but it does well enough for me.

Soundz, a good starting place for a grinder is hand grinder- saves your cash for the monster machine.
It's a burr grinder which I gathered is important.

Also if you have a drill, you can upgrade it:
Grinder.jpg

Funny, that's kind of the go-to grinder. It's the one that people upgrade the bearings on.

I like the drill idea...

Funny, that's kind of the go-to grinder. It's the one that people upgrade the bearings on.

I like the drill idea...

Gotcha- yeah, I've been pleased with it.
From another thread on the subject, it sounded like you could spend as much on a grinder as your brewer. I'm not there yet.

Gotcha- yeah, I've been pleased with it.
From another thread on the subject, it sounded like you could spend as much on a grinder as your brewer. I'm not there yet.

Yeah, it's buy that grinder, or buy a $200 grinder it seems.

The downside to the French Press is it works much better with a consistent course grind. But either way, it still works great.

-Steve

Rocket Giotto, Bialetti Mukka and a French press. Beans from Joe's Coffee in GCT or Intelligentsia when they have Rwandan beans.

Rocket Giotto,...

yeah baby!

-----

what a price on the Saeco Aroma !! may get one just because....

-----

i think the bialetti is limited to stronger coffees - a fine grind on some of the medium roasts doesn't work. So i'll need to get the french press again. then can get back to the kona and sumatra coffees.

nobody has fessed up to a percolator yet - imho they do better than drip because of the multiple passes!!!

the keurig is convenient - still on my counter for hot coco, tea, hot apple cider, and the visitor that doesn't do dark roast.....or wants some cafe latte thingy...

I love a good coffee, so I agree that coffee from a french press is the best, by far. however I am waaay to lazy to bother. only time I do french press is when doing breakfast at The Turning Point....delicious

otherwise, its the Keurig. just too damn convenient. and its not a bad cup of coffee. certainly not "good" but not a "bad cup of coffee" either. as far as cost...I buy the 100 pack from Costco for $38 (38 cents per....far cheaper than getting from a coffee shop). as far as waste...no worse than a disposable cup from the coffee shop. gonna look into the reusable.

nice grinder! will also help solve the power outage problem.

tried the reusable, grind-your-own keurig thing. seems to be a bit temperamental about the grind size, so a little experimenting is necessary.

wow i learned alot from this thread! coffee is my only vice no alcohol, nicotine or drugs:cry:

i use a small starbucks grinder that i found at a garage sale along with two inexpensive espresso machines.

i like the starbucks pods (for espresso) although the stores do not stock anymore.

as for my daily brew, beans freshly grinded then brew in a mr. coffee.

i really need to try the french press. and the grinders you guys are speaking off are nice but im poor so they are out of my league.

i was at asbury perk yesterday and got a bag of somolia that he roasts in the store. as for those of you that roast at home, home hard is that?

good thread gentleman

time to brew another pot

for the quick cup in the AM I have the k-cup for the power out day we use a french press hand ground beans. for the make a pot days we have a moca-master which our daughter got us from Sweden it makes a great pot of coffee...

Broke the French Press in the dishwasher, new one is on it's way.

Went to Century 21 in Morristown as they tend to have them cheap, out of stock. Bought a stove-top percolator instead.

It's probably the most anti-coffee snob way of making coffee.

Made coffee today, found it to be slightly tricky to know when it's done but it didn't come out too bad. Reminds me of coffee from church functions as a kid. :)

I figure it'll be a good backup for the next time I break the french press.

-Steve

Oh, and to add to that, the glass percolator has got to be the 2nd coolest way to visually make coffee. It's like a little rain shower of coffee going on in the pot.

Vacuum coffee pots are by far the coolest. I just can't justify spending closer to $100 on a coffee pot, especially when I know I'm going to just break it at some point.

-Steve

Aeropress most often at home, sometimes French press if I'm making for two. French press at the shop. It's easy to figure out how to prepare good coffee, but without good beans, it's impossible.

Have limited space for an espresso machine, but I couldn't resist the zpm kick starter last year so ill be getting a nocturn when they ship. Pretty excited for that.

I would love to talk tea :hmmm: maybe a new thread?

While I love my Gevalia brand coffee in morning, its definitely tea for me in the evenings. There is nothing like a good cup of tea, especially next to a Dove ice cream bar :eek:

Back
Top Bottom