Coffee

rlb

Interesting map design, but failure in choosing dot colors. Also would be interested in the generalization method. For example, NYC is represented by one Starbucks dot.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

A year and a half ago I was on vacation in Victor, ID. We stopped went through Jackson, WY on the way back from Yellowstone and stopped in a food store and hung out in the closed Starbucks inside the food market eating makeshift dinner.

A week or so later I read an article that Jackson, Wyoming is the furthest you can get from a corporate Starbucks in the continental US. They don't have any stores there due to lack of need and logistics of getting supplies there.

So the furthest place from Starbucks at the time in the US, I hung out at...Starbucks.:hmmm:

-Steve

rlb

After a 6 month break in roasting, and tripping over the green beans and popcorn "roaster" for the nth time I gave it another shot a few nights ago. It was some soft of Colombian bean, and I feel that it came out the best of all attempts to date. However I think the machine is limiting me. I'm roasting about 8 minutes a batch and I would still hesitate to call this an all city roast.

I just can't seem to get them any darker. I might try another batch tonight and let it go until I see dark beans or fire. Maybe I'll put an actual roaster on my Christmas list. Haven't made one of those in years!

rlb

20141029_181012.jpg

Got to second crack finally, then shut it down about 5 seconds later. Going to do another batch and let it go a bit longer. Apparently the popcorn popper has a limiting thermostat that doesn't let the beans get hot enough. Thanks to the internet I've solved that problem!

rlb

Let er rip? Here is batch 2. Second crack started ~ 6:20 and kept going until I stopped at 8 minutes. I'm not sure why the beans have "cratered" like that, I've never noticed that in a store bought bean. You can just barely see a sheen on the beans, I'm thinking I went a hair too long. Was aiming for FC to FC+

20141029_183040.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Johnny Utah

They are quite nice, I tried to get them on my wedding registry, my other half was not againsit it, but she did not seem thrilled for $120 salt and pepper shakers.

Man they are nice though. Even on eBay they go for almost $85 shipped for used ones.

I am sure I will pull the trigger one day.......if I was still drinking I would have bought them by now on a late night eBay binge:puke:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Cause i'm still drinking it!

more coffee/health benefits. the coffee people must be funding the heck out of research this year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coffee-mortality-idUSKBN0U027D20151217

- note that it correlates, but does not claim causality.... since statistics has come up a couple times in the last month.....

"In a 10-year U.S. study, people who drank coffee regularly were less likely to die of many causes, including heart disease and diabetes, than those who didn't drink coffee at all."

And all along I thought it was wine... with the amount of coffee I drink I am not going any where quick :)

jnos

It probably is, but I own 2 coffee roasters and love me some good poison a few times a day.
Which roasters do you own? I kick it old school with a cast iron dutch oven in a fire pit. Would love to do larger more controlled batches, but don't want to spend money.

rlb

This reminds me, gotta roast my green beans. They've been kicking around a while, still good I hope!

Top Bottom