Car-spotting thread

Sweet pic. That one has been rolling around CNJ. I do have to admit it has a weird roof height, oh well. Not buying a Chevy Bolt.. haha. x

How is the cost to own for a 2nd hand Tesla?
That's just a part of the game. I bought mine for approx 15% less than the going rate. I sent the seller a deposit the day of listing. Money you "saved" not buying new goes into fixing anything. However, you don't really see anything catastrophic fail on a Tesla. Battery replacements are not common (warranty 8 year, unlimited miles). Tesla battery's capacity don't really depreciate more than 5% even after 100k miles. I made sure mine had the extended bumper to bumper 100k miles warranty. So I have a little bumper-bumper warranty left. Some owners control screen craps out but that's a hit or miss. That's the big one but no gas, no oil changes, no other gear fluids. Annual inspection is like $800 to $1,200 depending on what you want to get done but even that I read you can just do every other year. They change brake fluid which is not all that necessary if you are on regen all the time which most owners are. They change battery cooling fluid but I read that's not a big deal to skip. You can also review their inspection checklist and just pick out what you want done a la carte too if you want to be in the low hundreds for annual work. This is our 3rd used EV. I do not have any concerns with EV durability. I have the rear facing seats too that my kid and niece and nephew love. It's super convenient. Seat 5 adults + 2 kids max.

Sweet pic. That one has been rolling around CNJ. I do have to admit it has a weird roof height, oh well. Not buying a Chevy Bolt.. haha. x

That's just a part of the game. I bought mine for approx 15% less than the going rate. I sent the seller a deposit the day of listing. Money you "saved" not buying new goes into fixing anything. However, you don't really see anything catastrophic fail on a Tesla. Battery replacements are not common (warranty 8 year, unlimited miles). Tesla battery's capacity don't really depreciate more than 5% even after 100k miles. I made sure mine had the extended bumper to bumper 100k miles warranty. So I have a little bumper-bumper warranty left. Some owners control screen craps out but that's a hit or miss. That's the big one but no gas, no oil changes, no other gear fluids. Annual inspection is like $800 to $1,200 depending on what you want to get done but even that I read you can just do every other year. They change brake fluid which is not all that necessary if you are on regen all the time which most owners are. They change battery cooling fluid but I read that's not a big deal to skip. You can also review their inspection checklist and just pick out what you want done a la carte too if you want to be in the low hundreds for annual work. This is our 3rd used EV. I do not have any concerns with EV durability. I have the rear facing seats too that my kid and niece and nephew love. It's super convenient. Seat 5 adults + 2 kids max.

What about charging? Do you plug in at home or use supercharger stations?

Thanks that's what I was wondering, I've heard claims of ridiculous costs to replace batteries after 100k and wasn't sure if the cars had some unique maintenance, normal cars don't. Also have you upgraded the charging system at home. Or are you still using the 3 pronged 110? Considered a Leaf like your previous for the kid, but the range wasn't practical for how it's driven. Enjoy the car, it's hot

I had electrician install 240v outlets inside and outside the garage. This is a must for a long range EV. You dont need a charging kit for a Tesla. The OEM mobile cord can charge 110 or 240v. Charge at 4mi/hr Vs. 40mi/hr. We still have the Leaf. Sold the gas cars (not s2000). However, I did get a J1772 kit installed on the outside 240v. Makes the Leaf even more useful and with the way the EV market is changing, visiting friends/family will need to top off. Tesla is the next iphone. Whoever at Toyota made the decision to sell their stake in Tesla is probably fired by now. Then again I was heavily invested 3 years ago so I’m an asshole too. The germans MAY do it better with fit and finish and driving dynamics but that is still several years out. Additionally, you asked and brought up an important subject, Superchargers! Tesla has the most convenient infrastructure to support long range EVs and they are continueing to expand.

I only used the supercharger a handful of times. VA where a picked up to NJ and to MA last week to visit a friend. They are mostly placed at good places you want to stop for long trips. Pee, snack/meal, and you should have enough charge to get to your destination. However, if your end destination does not have an adiquate charging source then you would need to juice up a little before getting there. It does take a little planning but its easy. Superchargers can be as little as 20-40 miles of each other and the car calculates your trip and what charger you need to stop at and for how long. It also shows how many chargers are in use and not. 1% of use is not convenient but to me, the pros far outweigh the cons.

I had electrician install 240v outlets inside and outside the garage. This is a must for a long range EV. You dont need a charging kit for a Tesla. The OEM mobile cord can charge 110 or 240v. Charge at 4mi/hr Vs. 40mi/hr. We still have the Leaf. Sold the gas cars (not s2000). However, I did get a J1772 kit installed on the outside 240v. Makes the Leaf even more useful and with the way the EV market is changing, visiting friends/family will need to top off. Tesla is the next iphone. Whoever at Toyota made the decision to sell their stake in Tesla is probably fired by now. Then again I was heavily invested 3 years ago so I’m an asshole too. The germans MAY do it better with fit and finish and driving dynamics but that is still several years out. Additionally, you asked and brought up an important subject, Superchargers! Tesla has the most convenient infrastructure to support long range EVs and they are continueing to expand.

I only used the supercharger a handful of times. VA where a picked up to NJ and to MA last week to visit a friend. They are mostly placed at good places you want to stop for long trips. Pee, snack/meal, and you should have enough charge to get to your destination. However, if your end destination does not have an adiquate charging source then you would need to juice up a little before getting there. It does take a little planning but its easy. Superchargers can be as little as 20-40 miles of each other and the car calculates your trip and what charger you need to stop at and for how long. It also shows how many chargers are in use and not. 1% of use is not convenient but to me, the pros far outweigh the cons.
You have any idea of charge times of the leaf and efficiency?

I was reading that the Bolt is 3mi/hr charging at 120VAC which is pretty slow, and you mentioned 4mi/hr with the Tesla. But I was thinking the older Leafs with the lower range means they are lighter cars, lighter batteries so they would be more efficient on a KW/mile, therefore charging rate per hour @ 120VAC would be better.

-Steve

I have a 2012 leaf. The car shows I average 4mi/kw since ownership. Sorry, I dont really pay attention to charge times. The leaf shows the estimated charge times 80% or 100%, 110v and 240v. It overestimates. The biggest difference is the 3.3 kWh onboard 240v charger vs the 6.6kWh onboard 240v charger on 2013 and later.

The leaf doesnt show mi/hr rate but the Tesla does. I read that my year leaf charges 5mi/hr but there are a few factors that impact charge rate. Temp of battery, ambient temp, percent of charge, what percent you want it charged to. For the leaf I usually charge 80% but in the winter I set the timer to charge to 100% right before I have to use it. The tesla I have been keeping 50% to 70%. Charge more as needed. Just following healthy battery mangement as with any battery powered device.

The Model S is the least efficient out of all the EVs but it has the longest range. The 3 is WAY better. Different batteries, lighter, battery management. No doubt the 3 already has better tech than the S. The S is due for an update if it wants its place in the lineup.

Oh yea these were at Paramus NJ when i dropped my car off. They made it to the east coast pretty swiftly. Quicker than the X which is still a nightmare of a product. The 3 seems to be executed as close to perfect as they can. They said they already deliverd about 15 thus far. Hopefully they figure out how to get to max production but they are churning them out as fast as possible. I’m in no rush to spend money. Patiently for changes/options. Half the reason I bought an S is because of the model 3 reservation priority bump haha.

A6B7DE84-6EC0-4A95-BF66-12EE3FA72A8A.jpeg0B2C33CE-DE45-4F2D-88B8-EB6B210BBB52.jpeg

I think you're 5mi/hr charge time beats the Bolt's 3mi/hr time by nearly 65%, so that does make a big difference. I doubt it's pulling in more watts, so it's probably a bit more efficient.

It doesn't really work out for me to get a Leaf as a second/third car as we live in a Condo with no outlets and one parking spot for our two cars. But a used one would be on the radar otherwise.

I'm probably leasing a bolt in the spring. Similar range and price as the 3 in a hatchback. Going chevy because their finances and product exist in this dimension.

I was strongly considering getting a Bolt last year. Felt like a $15k car plus a couple iPads glued to the dashboard with a $40k sticker price. It was pretty quick but fit and finish was Fisher Price. Decided to wait to make the leap because everything will probably be electric by the time i buy a new car and there will be tons of options.

Just passed a Bolt on the road. Boy are those ugly. I'd gladly pay for the gas to drive a real car over one of those.

Doesn't matter if you're leasing now. Bolt is ugly.

Its all about function over form, they are all ugly. The Tesla is ugly, it looks like a mashup between a Kia and a Hyundai, which ok for a $25k car, but not an $80k car. And relatively speaking, the Volt isn’t as ugly as that atrocity known as the Prius.

Decided to wait to make the leap because everything will probably be electric by the time i buy a new car and there will be tons of options.
this is where im at...my focus gets 35mpg and at 95,000mi...I figure I can get another 5 years out of it without much trouble. By then, options should be better.

I was strongly considering getting a Bolt last year. Felt like a $15k car plus a couple iPads glued to the dashboard with a $40k sticker price. It was pretty quick but fit and finish was Fisher Price. Decided to wait to make the leap because everything will probably be electric by the time i buy a new car and there will be tons of options.
I can see myself backing out at the last minute. But they are like 35k -8 from the government plus I get employee pricing.

My fleet will be liquidated this summer.
Big van and keeping the STI, need a beater.
If it's not electric it'll be a piece of crap like I normally drive. Would be nice to not drive junk for once.
But we'll see, I may bail on this idea and get a used Hyundai or Fit.

Back
Top Bottom