Car-spotting thread

rick81721

Lothar
Driving south in I75 yesterday from Sarasota passed a flatbed truck transporting a 70ish vette and early 70s pickup truck. Both had Mecum plates and sold stickers on them. Didn't even know there was an auction going on down here - dang

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
RIP Dan!
gurneymkiv.jpg

Gurney4.jpg

qclabrat

no pics but an R8 blew by me on 78E going about 110
What surprised me was the loudness of the exhaust, I could hear it over a 1/2 mile away

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this is a sad day for sure,

while they arent saying this I feel that they finally caved in to all the crybabies that built there house next to a drag strip and then decided they didnt like the noise

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Wow, what a bummer. Raceway Park (or just "Englishtown" as we always referred to it) was such a fixture in my teenage life.

And I'm pissed that I've never made it to the Diesel Nats, and now the place is gonna close.

Phooey.

Mr.Moto

News of the new Mustang Bullitt has been circulating lately along with the original hero car coming out of hiding.

Thought it was cool that the original car has a Jersey connection. It even still has the plates and inspection sticker.

1516236648332.png

1516236814639.png

The guy lived in Madison, NJ.

1516236932465.png
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Neat.. Didn't know.... can't see the second letter of the VIN number but it could have also been built in New Jersey

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would find the value of that original car interesting.

A non movie version of that car...68 GT fastback with a 390 in that condition would probably bring in the $25-35,000 I would think. Like a mint restored car...maybe $65-75,000

I read that they would estimate that cars value in the millions...Which, I mean wow. But I guess that car is incredibly iconic. Outside of just being in the movie and what is thought of by many as the best car chase scene ever...The guy modifying it for movie duty was Max Balchowski...Who is a LEGEND is the car racing world...Having built low budget race cars for Shelby and others than went out and beat Ferraris, etc. Mcqueen drove it of course, but so did Bill Hickman who was another legend....Would love to see what that car would bring at auction.

Whats funny from the artice...
An ad on page 121 of the October 1974 issue of Road & Track magazine read: “1968 ‘Bullett’ [sic] MUSTANG driven by McQueen in the movie…Can be documented. Best offer.” The phone number had a New Jersey area code.

A man from Madison, New Jersey, saw the ad. He had always wanted a ’68 Mustang fastback, so he bought the Bullitt car for $6000, and it became a regular on the streets around Madison.

$6000 in 1974 for a used 68GT....Just to give you a comparison...My 67 GT is essentially the exact same car, same engine, etc....My Dad paid under $500 for it in 73 or 74. So at the time...that was a HELL of an investment.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Top Bottom