Can I get a freakin race report?

Marty’s 40+ 4/5…the flip side of the coin.

I was psych’d for Marty’s. I tried not to overdo the training the week before, packed early and meditated on my new mantra, Free Watts. I knew there was a hill and in watching some of the older videos on youtube I felt like it was doable. I also decided that I wanted to work more on the mental aspect. Was I letting up on the gas because of what I was thinking during a race or am I just not as strong as I expect myself to be?

Day of I woke early and had a solid breakfast and was out the door on time. Decided on some Meshell and Mahavishnu Orchestra for the car, which really put me in the mood to race. Got a nice spot by the start/finish line. Everything was going to plan.

First thing that really strikes me at the venue is the Hill of Pain. Whoa, this was not in the prep. I did some steep grass hill work, but this was something a little different. It was also cold and windy. I knew this change was coming and I thought I was prepared, but it still set me back a little.

OK, I can get over this. I had some really good pre-ride laps and felt the flow, especially down by the barn. This Free Watts thing lifted my spirits. As the 50+/60+ went I watched a little and felt good about my track observations. I decided to go across the street and continue my warm-up and found a nice hill on the left that I did repeats on.

I had a front row call-up again because of my amazing paypal skillz on Bikereg. Sadly, I had the last spot on the left (you can see my red sleeve in Madison Dan’s starting line image). I immediately knew this was a bad spot. The row of stakes was all leaning into the course and the tape was blowing in even farther. I had nothing but obstacles before the first turn. Due to nerves I took my jacket off early and ended up shaking like a $h!tting dog for a few minutes before the whistle. This was not starting well.

At the whistle I fight to get off the left edge, but lost some ground before the first turn. As we proceeded to the barn, I actually started to feel better since in every turn I seemed to be catching the person in front of me. Then we hit the hill…I knew I wasn’t geared to ride it so I first decided to run along side the bike up the hill. It sort of worked in the pre-ride, but at race pace I stunk up the course. A waterfall of racers goes by me like I’m standing still. Shouldering from now on, for sure. By now I am redlined and the 5’s are flying by me. I continue to push hard, but I am just going backwards. I get through the first lap and continue to keep who’s ever in front of me in sight to keep a carrot dangling. By the beginning of the third lap I am losing control of my breathing, it has no rhythm and I find myself constantly gasping, like I’m drowning. I get through the off-camber turns (I never had an issue with this) and start the climb back up and my chest starts to feel tight. With a known cardiac issue, I decide that it’s in my best interest to stop. DNF.

It clearly didn’t go as anticipated. I didn’t even remotely imagine a podium, but I had hoped to beat the race predictor by a couple of spots. There were a bunch of upsides to the day so I see it as a net positive. First, I met the Heckler. He was parked two cars away in the lot and how can you miss a KindHuman? Second, I really started to feel like I was confident in the course, bike-handling wise. It wasn’t perfect, but man nailing those turns was big fun, especially the off-camber. When I decided to trust myself and not brake I whipped around that second turn. And the two turns at the beginning of the back side of the course was another flow moment. Second, I’M ON A NINE SPEED! I bought the bike off ebay and never really checked what the gearing was. The Heckler rolled his tire and was in a flurry to regroup and I thought, I could offer him my wheel if he wants it. So, I hear the conversation and he says he’s on an 11 speed, so I lean over and start counting cogs and lo and behold, a 9’er. Not only that, but I think it’s like a 25/26t (I was still a little cross-eyed at this time). I’ll be slapping on my spare 12-28 10 speed this week. Lastly, I have to remind myself that this is a progression. I discovered a limit and I have to work with it. I missed one goal for the season, which was to finish every race. The second goal is not to finish DFL. I still feel good about this one. The third goal is to enjoy racing again. I still got that going for me.

I did a one-hour ladder workout this morning starting at 60% working up to ftp. Had no breathing or heart issues. I’m not sure exactly what happened, but I’m now in prep for Sunday at Bubblecross.

Extra points for anyone who catches the movie quote and names the film!

Race # 2 @ Marty Cross

I've adjusted my goals to stay upright, and not finish DFL .

Decided last minute to do the race and signed up race day and wanted to show off my snazzy new kitten jersey. I figured that since I'm always by myself in the back of the pack I should at least get some enjoyable heckles out of it. I go to zip the full length zipper up and the zipper just blows up in my hand. Normally I have 2X of everything in my race bag but not this time. So not wanting to be the 225 pounder in bibs and under armor I head over to the reg tent and grab a ton of safety pins.... off to a good start.

Practice lap: Almost bite it on the wet leaves on the lower half of the course and then get my first look at hill o' doom.

I opt to start in the last row this time, @SSmtbr I think I was right behind you at the start...

Halfway through my second lap I see it happening, after 22 years of running races, bike races, anything I can pin a number onto me races and I've never DFL'd but I just got passed and there is nothing I can do about it. My streak has come to an end but I'm in so much pain I don't care.

Lap 3 on the big sweeping downhill left that was slick as snot in the apex I see the guy who passed me on the side of the course getting up. I assume he slid out in the turn and was getting back up. A glimmer of hope and I pick up the pace for about 3 revolutions because that was all I had left. By now lapping traffic caught me and I got a few passing heckles from lead lap riders meowing at me on the way by.

I finish, want to die, take a picture with some random lady who was like oh i love cats can I take a pic w/ you...sure I'll try not to throw up on your shoes. Looked for waffles didn't see any packed up and went home.

Later that night the official results were in and I was DFL-1 so the streak remains in tact.

As much as it kicked my butt I thought this was a really fun course and look forward to coming back in shape for next years event.

@The Squirrel

No clue on the movie quote :(, but if you look at the photo of the start, you can also see the first stake sticking out like you said.... Remember to take these things into account when staging. Sometimes it may be better to drop back 1 row for a better position behind someone you know is a good starter....

Sucks you had to DNF, but better safe than not. DNF > DNS!

10sp.. get the 11-28, not 12-28. Why? Why not!!! See ya at Hippo.

Yeah, the start was an "Oh, $h!t" moment. I was 158, there were 7 in the front row and as I rolled up I thought "man it's tight on the left". Then the starter said one more in the front and I thought I'd give it a go. So I roll into the spot and look up and realize WHY that spot was open. At that point it was too late and the rest of the rows filled in. Lesson learned. Being mindful even before staging and the race starts well before the whistle.

I was just telling hotsause I had a 10 spd 28 in my kit in the trunk, but it only dawned on me after the race during heckler's conversation about his rolled tubbie. I still can't believe that got by me. I've had the bike since March! I'll slap the one I have on and then post season it'll be gear upgrade time.

Thanks, See you at Hippo.

I'm a slow person so take this with a grain of salt, but I pre-rode on Saturday with a 11-28 on my stock wheel then came on Sunday with my 11-30 on my nice wheel. Those two teeth make a difference in reducing the effort significantly for me on the hills. I'd consider 11-32 myself if I was buying another cassette.

I would not have enjoyed 11-25

Just curious, what time of day are you guys doing TR? I was trying mid volume earlier in the year at night and got killed. I'm pretty sure most of it was health related but I think nighttime just doesn't work for me as I can easily be on the edge of losing energy and popping. I found myself riding the trainer later at night (starting at 7 or 8pm) which is hours after I would normally ride.

Probably starting again once things calm down in life after the cross season, thinking of switching to mornings.

I'm up at 5a and usually on by 5:30 so I can have b'fast, shower, choose my wardrobe and out the door by 8:30. Choosing the wardrobe is the most time consuming. I may have to move this to the evenings to get more time on the trainer.

I was doing mid-volume as well, but when the season started I threw it out the window and just choose which workout I feel will help with my prep. I'm sure it's safe to say it will all help, but I have a lot of fun picking through the workouts. I'll be back on a TR block after the season and a short rest period.

11-32 if 1x 11-28 if 2x

11-32 for both if 1x A bike and 2x B bike because CROSS BASE/TRAINING and sharing cassettes and such

11-32 if 1x 11-28 if 2x

11-32 for both if 1x A bike and 2x B bike because CROSS BASE/TRAINING and sharing cassettes and such

Oh yeah. I'm 1x, should have mentioned that. If I had a 36T on the front that would make things easier.

The A Bike, B Bike thing must be nice. I love grabbing the cross bike for generic riding due to comfort but having 1 gear in the front makes it hard to use as as a road bike replacement. Makes sense how you have your B bike setup the way you do.

I'm sure if Utah was reading this thread he'd be yelling and spilling his coffee while doing so.

...wanted to show off my snazzy new kitten jersey.

I opt to start in the last row this time, @SSmtbr I think I was right behind you at the start...

That was me! Loved the jersey and the pre-race fun at the back of the staging. That course was tough! Hopefully we will be seeing rach other at more races soon.

Gonna be rather short this time...
HPCX Weekend...

Saturday - Men's Cat 4/5
9:00am race. Arrive at 7:45am. Ride two course inspection laps, drop wheels in the pit, get number (28), don't remember much else. Staging.... ugh, staging... The juniors are on course, and 81 of us are milling about. USAC official tells us at 6 minutes to race he will stage us, and will give a 2 minute warning to remove jackets.. Cool. "4 minutes!!!" :eek: Starts staging by name. Third row. Open slit in first row, so second row dude slides up, and I fill in second row. :p "2 minutes!" Jackets are flying, being passed across, etc. "15 seconds!" :confused: WHISTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a semi-shit show. Could have been worse, but arrgggghhhhhh. Once we start moving, I slide back a few spots, not bad. Ugh, uphill, then more uphill. Uneventful until the stairs. Got tied up in the tape somehow on the right side of the steps, just kept running with the tape attached. No idea how much I pulled down. Rode the stairs the next 4 laps. Clean over the barriers and on the off cambers. picked up a few spots here and there. Was on a guys wheel that I caught up to on the last lap. Waited for the pavement and outsprinted him for 17th. Sorry @1sh0t1b33r if I came around a little too hot. Loved the shouting from the gypsy camp. Thanks all..
Lap 1 video
Lap times
1 - 8:58
2 - 8:51
3 - 8:57
4 - 8:58
5 - 8:48

2:50 behind winner

Sunday - Men's Cat 3/4
3:30pm race. No idea how to feed myself for that start time. Third row of 4. Number 320. 36 registered racers, 27 showed. Normal staging. WHISTLE!!! Death. Should have some good video of @Harry Hamilton T-Boning some dude in the sand pit, but I haven't downloaded it yet. Finished 23 of 27. Dead. Empty. Disheartened. Frustrated. Hungry. Lonely. That's how I felt. Not dehydrated, despite the heat. Also strange finishing up in a ghost town.

Lap times
1 - 9:30
2 - 9:46
3 - 9:50
4 - 10:35
5 - 10:44
:dead:

8:18 behind winner

Last year I raced 4/5 both days, and did better on day 2.

Also strange finishing up in a ghost town.
EVERYONE was gone by that race on Saturday if it was held at the same time. Almost all of the tents and team trucks were gone by the time 3/4 even began. Now I'm kind of happy that I go off so early in the morning. And it's cool, I tried to stay as far over as I could to stay out of people's way. I guess I just didn't expect a sprint for the finish though because the last time I looked back it was just the slow crew. Don Madson had a good photo of you on of your finishing sprint... while I'm just lollygagging up the last hill to the finish riding my tops, lol. That start on Saturday was a shit show for sure. I was second to last row and nobody even moved at the whistle. I think I somehow weaved through like half the pack by the time we got onto the grass, then started getting passed again on those first stairs. See you at Bubble!

I raced the Men's 4/5 field at HPCX on Saturday. I was originally signed up for both days but ended up skipping Sunday to keep my wife happy. It ended up being the right move by a long shot. Double race weekends are starting to shave time off my lifespan. So I decided to go all in: balls to the acorns, I mean wall, for Saturday's race.

Since HPCX is the closest race to Hoboken I was able to sleep in until 5:45 and get to the course by 7:15. I've taken to arriving in my bibs so I can just get on the course and go once I pull in which most likely gave me the time for one more pre-ride lap. Saturday morning it was COLD! I wore 1 mesh base layer, 1 wool base layer, 1 thermal Liquigas Cannondale throw back jersey, 1 Catstelli Gabba jersey, and 1 REI down vest for pre-ride. The grass was still covered in frost and crunchy for the first few pre-ride laps. I proceeded to ride the wrong way on the course my first pre-ride lap and felt like a dummy but then used my wrong direction to work on riding the stairs. At slow speed they were fine but at race pace, I had nothing. Riding over obstacles is probably my weakest technical point, something to work on in the off-season (along with a bad stutter step).

I pared down the layers for the race and rolled to the start. I was quick on my credit card in August and nabbed #2 for the day. I lined up far left since I wanted as much space to make that first turn as I could get. As Dan alluded to earlier, the start was a clusterfuck. I luckily threw my jacket away at the 2 minute warning and started my Garmin so I was ready to go. The official said he would start us in 15 seconds and I got ready to go, even if we didn't hear the usual "1 minute" or "30 second" warnings.

The official blew the whistle and it was a certified mess. Some people didn't move but there were definitely an astute group that jammed the gas. The MAC series leader went from 3rd row to in front of me in a flash. I hit the grass up hill in maybe 6-7th wheel and then lost a few spots through the first few corners. As the stairs were approaching I made the decision to get off and start to run a corner early to carry extra momentum on foot, banking on someone in front of me taking a spill. Just as I dismount a guy goes down and I grabbed a few spots running to the top of the hill. The front group starts to settle in: the MAC series leader, 16 yo from Guy's (mini-Cam Dodge), CRCA/Health Warrior, me, and a tail gunner.

Mini-cam is super strong and starts to go solo off the front. The rest of us are just holding on for 2 laps, I felt confident in the corners and could hold my own in the technical areas and conserve energy better than the other guys, yet I found myself dangling from the group at times. The Health Warrior rider must have been riding file treads and got squirly on almost every off camber section on the course. On lap 3, he lost traction in the off camber section before the barriers and I narrowly avoid him to see mini-Cam caught in the course tape!! I thought he was gone. Holy crap, this may be a better race than I had started to think.

The group comes back together with mini-Cam chasing and he quickly grabs back on. We ride together through the bell with 1 lap to go. Those up-hills were killer, definitely started to taste a little blood at this point.

We go into turn 3 (acorn corner) as MAC leader, mini-Cam, Health Warrior, me, then tail gunner. MAC leader goes down! And takes mini-Cam with him! I looked back and they're up but working on chains, etc. Holy crap time to dig deep. We go down the small hill into the 180 corner before the barriers and Health Warrior overshoots the turn into the course tape! Now really time to dig!

Tail gunner gets around me at some point shortly thereafter, not sure when since it was just about as foggy as it gets. I put down as much power as I have left, take small risks around corners, and try not to touch the brakes. I can see Health Warrior a few seconds behind me in chase with tail gunner 10 seconds ahead of me. I hit the pavement into the finishing straight and give it one big push then take a second to assess the situation that I'm about to finish in second place!!

Lap times: 8:30, 8:15, 8:20, 8:24, 8:19

I rolled across the finish line and it felt like I was about to vomit my lungs out of my body, wow did that hurt! My mom came to watch me race to "see what this cyclocross thing is all about" and I think I gave her a good show.

After the race a cruised around and caught up with a few people then went over to the MTBNJ tent. I offered to bring coffee and walked over with my 40oz thermos then felt extremely outgunned by a generator powered espresso maker and hoagies for days. Turns out size does matter, but at least the people are nice!

Next up: Bubble Cross x2

Last edited:
congrats! if you can get into that front group, anything is possible, as you can see!

3rd place hat is better than all of your hats though

Back
Top Bottom