Can I get a freakin race report?

That's me in fourth, where I would remain. Apparently you needed a mustache to podium at Bubblecross...

Bubble Day 1 Photo Recap! (most photo credits go to @Dominos )

I missed @hotsauce and @MadisonDan but here's @rsinger814 on his way to winning the Cat 4 NJ World Champs

@seanrunnette with intake valve wide open

@ChrisG is a mountain biker

@seanrunnette so. pro.

@Robin on her way to winning the 40+ State Champs

Cosmic Jenny looks like a badass here

@TriChick gets yet another Elite State Champ Medal

@jShort So pretty in sprinkles

@Chris26er in his second race of the day. Glad to have you back from softball, man

At 8:00am the Cat 5's go off, so there are loud words of encouragement thrown in the direction of @StayHydrated @1sh0t1b33r and @Santapez as they "race". Just kidding. Love watching everyone out there.
I really liked that they separated Cat 5, I had a blast yelling at the 4's and 4/40+'s afterward, that was a fun little change from what I'm used to.

Harry's solo off the front for the last lap
Harry's revenge!

Reward for lunch today.
Diso's Italian Sandwich Society food truck.
Meatball parm special. This is the second half. First was gone in a nanosecond.
+1 for having your lunch photobombed by the Bloomberg Terminal keyboard.

That graphic makes me sad.
Look at it this way: at least you didn't get trimmed off the spreadsheet? Does Microsoft Excel have a "lanterne rouge" setting for me?

Double Bubble Weekend!!!!

Saturday - State Championship Day...
Men's Cat 4 40+ Race

I finally clip in after 100 yards and in 6th or 7th wheel. We go up the grass to the first tight left hander and Schwartz buzzes Chris's wheel and goes down. A few other guys dabble a little, but cause I'm back a few spots, I swing out wide right for the left turn and make it around clear. Phew! 4th wheel. Chris is out front, already with several bike lengths of a gap. We go up the grass swithchbacky climb, down it, then a little back up before the little sweeper of a turn before the gazebo. Chris is RIPPING IT! He's easily 10-15 seconds ahead already. Rider two & three are just ahead of me.

I was rider three in front of you when you went down at the Gazebo - amazing effort to scratch your way back to 2nd from that first lap mishap. The first lap wasn't all that fast so if you hadn't gone down I'm sure you would have shortly passed me - instead it just took another lap.

Speaking of mishap - little surprised to see classic Cat 5 Pile Up/Crash on the first turn in a Cat 4 40+. I know one of the riders in our field left with a broken collar bone - Not sure if it happened at that corner or it was self inflicted but certainly something you never want to see happen.

Speaking of mishap - little surprised to see classic Cat 5 Pile Up/Crash on the first turn in a Cat 4 40+. I know one of the riders in our field left with a broken collar bone - Not sure if it happened at that corner or it was self inflicted but certainly something you never want to see happen.

Was that on day 1 in our race? I know Dave buzzed Chris's rear wheel and went down, but he was third. Not sure who went down behind him. That sucks. Never want to see that happen to anyone.

I was rider three in front of you when you went down at the Gazebo - amazing effort to scratch your way back to 2nd from that first lap mishap. The first lap wasn't all that fast so if you hadn't gone down I'm sure you would have shortly passed me - instead it just took another lap.

Thanks man... yeah, it took a lot to get back up there. After a while it was tough to tell who was a 4 and who was a 40+. Frankly, I was shocked to hear Sean announce where I was. I thought it was a mistake, but kept pressing.

Rq7GML43e854.gif

i'm not as mythical as you think, just a guy with too much time on his hands while WingFH

Was that on day 1 in our race? I know Dave buzzed Chris's rear wheel and went down, but he was third. Not sure who went down behind him. That sucks. Never want to see that happen to anyone.
Yup Sat Day 1 40+. Can see it in the video - I was to your left and cut in front of you to your right to go around the pile up. I was able to totally avoid the traffic and got away cleanly till my lack of fitness caught up and you went buzzing by.

I'll summarize this as:

Day 1 -
-Cat 5 race - otherwise known as Fun Ride w/ Magic.
-Hangout, scream and yell. Watch Joy eat 15 empenadas.
-Singlespeed Race. Wow legs don't feel great starting a second race of the day. Otherwise known as 2nd Fun Ride w/ Magic. MTB is so much easier at this course than a cross bike.
-More Hanging out and partying

Day 2 -
-Cat 5 race. Otherwise known as sprint finish to the end thinking it's the last lap. Hang out with guy I passed discussing race. Realize race was not over when leaders come through. Hop back on bike for fastest half lap of the weekend. (Confusing due to tons of reasons including my garmin failing, listening to Sean call out places as people came in, thought they called out it was over and not the last lap. Oh well). I'm not even sure I lost too many spots as I passed a ton of people. The times were crazy as half the field had @lap.
-Rush to get home as it was actually cold this day.

Things I took note of:
1-I still can't figure out last lap obviously. There was no lap # when I came through when I thought I finished. Guy behind me thought we were done also. Usually I'll gauge by Garmin time and laps but that didn't work this time.
2-I liked the course both ways. 2nd day seemed easier and one constant course. Day 1 felt more like a series of different sections, if that makes sense.
3-I need to work on pacing myself. Looking back at the races I seemed to put a lot more effort into the 2nd race on the first day than the 1st race.
4-Starting near the front is nice and a huge benefit. Wasn't comfortable day 1 taking advantage but did on day 2.
5-I was very inconsistent on the sand. Day 1 I was mostly OK but I did get held up in the long section I believe twice in the first race and horribly in the 2nd. 2nd may have been the knobby mtb tires. 2nd day no issues at all.

Day 2 Cat5 - There was certainly an MTB advantage coming down the hill from the woods out onto the beach. The first couple laps I had good passes and flew down the hill with great momentum for crossing the beach. Then on lap 3?, I'm side by side with a guy on a yellow cross bike, I ask to pass, he responds with an out of the saddle sprint. So here we are, side by side, railing down this hill filled with rocks and roots. I'm on a full floater, he is full rigid. I was quite impressed so decided to let him have the lead and avoid a crash. Took the position back on the beach.

Pedal damn it!!!!
Yeah. I watched you guys race and realized losing momentum was probably the worst thing to do. I didn't know any better, n00b status.

My "pretending to be a peeing dog" balancing act was a close second. In the wise words of Lil' Wayne on the timeless track "Truffle Butter" by one miss Nicki Minaj: "Girl, this my new dance move, I just don't know what to call it".

More Hanging out and partying
Did you guys bust out the stove? Now that I have thoroughly confirmed my addiction to 'cross, next year's schedule plans will try to include more pop-up tents, camp stoves, and eating. I want to step my tailgate game up.

Never busted out the stove. I kept eating other things as I overpacked on food. The stove was for soup anyway so nothing special.

I'm now debating SSCX

You said buying cross bikes is dumb.
That being said, DO IT.
I was referring to the Sussex Race on Sunday. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I'm still sticking to the "buying cross bikes are mostly dumb and people should just race their mountain bikes in cross". At least in Cat 5.

Back
Top Bottom