Can I get a freakin race report?

oh F. - you doing ok?
you know we have a perverted desire for pics of stuff like that....

As requested:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/post-your-booboos.2559/page-13

I'll be fine. I decided against a hospital/urgent care visit. Mostly because:

a. My insurance is so convoluted that by the time I figure out where to go so I don't eat the entire bill, the wound will have totally healed.

b. What are they going to really do that I can't do with items that I can buy at the pharmacy.

c. Scarring...It's going to scar either way and at 54, I don't really care that much. My glasses will cover most of it up anyway.

The whole area is tender, but I'll survive. I was going to do Westwood as my final race of the year, but I'm rethinking that right now. This needs to heal first.

le sikiurele

Supercross

(Pre blather - @The Squirrel! Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry I missed you pre-gash. Does this mean you can still heckle?)

Day 1:
Up early and on the road w/out too many complications. Ok, yes, forgot the leggings, but remembered 1000 yards from the house, so all was well. Parked, jumped out, got onto the course and freaked the fuck out at the hills. I didn’t know there were THAT many ways to go uphill. And for all that climbing, there only seemed to be two downhills. Alright, it’s gonna be one of those days…

Trainer, immediatement! By 7:45 I’m hamstering away and things are on track. I’ve got some trepidations, and my mood is grey. Dunno if it’s just a phase, but seems like the stoke takes a bit of time to get going nowadays. One more lap at quarter of nine and back on the trainer to finish up the warmup. Starting to feel pretty good. The bike, at least, is runnin’ fine, so I’ve got that working for me.

Get to the line early-ish and do a few start sprints. Call ups are chill and I’m fourth row middle. Not terrible. It’s a slight uphill start into loose gravel and an off camber chute, so what could go wrong? Turns out that would be a crash in front of me. NBD. Everyone’s back up and grinding, but the field has been halved. Not that MY people, the 400+ points club on Crossresults, were too terribly affected.

Then we settle in for five laps of the worst roller coaster in the world. My goal was not to blow up on the first ½ lap, as that pretty much pointed straight uphill. The end of that mountain was effectively the barriers in the middle of the flat field past the pits. I hit em just shy of redline, still surrounded by delusional middle-aged men.

At this point it was power. All day power. Lots of folks were soft pedaling through some of the downhills, looking for a moment’s rest. That cost them places. To me. I realized early on that the uphills were just gonna suck, as I’m a fat underpowered bastard, but that if I kept the Hyundai motor moving through the downs and picked lines where I could pedal through the corners, I’d make myself happier. I’d also be in more pain. Sadly, this worked, and I was able to pick folks off throughout the rest of the race, taken a few chances on some off-camber sweepers, but mostly just being a bit more efficient.

Gave myself a lil break just before the pits on lap 2, when I pointed my front tire sideways on a dumb corner and burped it a bit. Happily I was 15 meters from the pits and the SRAM guy had me back out at 32 PSI just in time for the downhill! Whee!

End of the race was a fun sprint that I won before it started by dint of being the first guy on the pavement, which I knew had to happen about 10 turns earlier, so I dug into the cake of resolution with the soup ladle of tenacity and took a big “what the fuck” bite and ripped through a turn fully licking the tape and carrying enuf speed to pop me out in front like a teenagers boner. 31st doesn’t happen by itself.

Splits – 8:46 9:00 8:46 8:48 8:35

Super stoked that my last lap was my fast lap!

Warmed down for 20 minutes or so, stood around like a goon for another half hour and headed south to ride bikes at the Tourne with a friend who’s just getting started on this whole thing. His derailleur decided it’d rather be replaced by one that works at some later date, so it became a bit harum-skarum, but still a nice afternoon on the red trail. (This MAY have been a mistake. My legs were wood when we started, but they got going. Lots of lil rock gardens, meaning, even at The Tourne, lots of small accelerations, followed by holding onto a tree trunk shouting encouraging things as he tried to ride those same rocks in a pretty stout gear.)

Kept the food intake and drinking to a minimum and crashed out early, serenaded by the wind generated by the inversion of the atmosphere that would lead to tomorrow’s SNOW!

Day 2:
Up and out 5 minutes earlier. Quick stop at Quickczech for a couple of breakfast egg muffins and some road coffee. All is well. The further north I drive the more fluffy loveliness is happeing. Find myself smiling as I drive.

Arriving before the team trailers set up across 12 spaces in a row, I grab a nice vista, set up the trainer, get kitted up and realize the price of my view is a hard, blowing wind, with zero cover. Down in the lot, where the view sucks, the wind is blocked by 100 other cars. …and now it’s time for the pre-ride!

The course is reversed. And already muddy as hell. Like, deeply muddy, with grit.
And here, I wanna pause and mention that I usually do well in mud. HPCX after the snow 5 years ago, blew my start, into the hill DFL, finished 7th. Limestone Kiln 3 years ago, 8 inches of snow on the ground, not terrible at 16th in the Bs. Madison Natz in conditions so bad they ate the brake pads on both my bikes in one race, beat my Crossresults predictor by 30 spots, w/a last row start.

So, mud good, right?

I put on the Kenda Kommando wheelset, eschewing the PDXs for the tractor tread, get the PSI down to 28 rear, 26 front (I’m 207lbs, leeme alone), adjust the pads, do another half lap to make sure it’s all working ok. It is. But the ground is soooooo soft. I’m sinking into it. Mentally, this pops a lil warning flag. Like a turkey thermometer.

Get to the line early. I thought. They’re already calling folks up. I don’t even brake as I hear my name called. Boop, right back into fourth row. Not sweating the timing. Off come the leggings (embro, bro), jacket goes cape and holyfuckwhatareyourseriouswe’reatthirtysecondsallready? Everything flies off into the woods and the whistle goes. I didn’t even have time to get into the big ring for the start. Weirdly, this affects nothing, and I get off well. Even finding a way to pass the 3rd row going into the off camber by riding low while everyone is queuing for the top section. Same on the next one, and the third long one. Then we pass the pits and HUGE FIGHT erupts behind me. Never heard anything like it in a race. It goes on from the pits to the barriers. I so desperately want to see who’s involved, but also have zero desire to give it any kind of audience, so I focus on riding and it all falls away, sucked into the earth with my watts.

The first lap wasn’t horrible. I was able to reclip after the runups, find good lines on the 180 down and ups, etc.

After that though, shit show. Clipping back in became almost impossible. Rather than standing up and pounding through the accumulation, I was trying to finesse it. Wrong. And my head went, too. Shifting began to require thought. Like real, which button should I be pressing now? thought. This race did make my butt look big. Every lap, I gained weight. By lap three the bike was howling as grit and mud found their ways in between every. Single. Moving. Part. Including the smoking gears in my head.

The cold itself wasn’t bad. And the course was amazing. I just wasn’t able to get going. And not being able to go on a dry day still looks like bike racing. But one a day like today, there’s nowhere to hide. I was molasses slow. I was slow-motion slow. I was sad. And perversely, I was sadder still to be pulled at four laps, 51 minutes in. I’d missed the next lap by one rider.

Splits - 11:57 12:42 13:15 13:56

Those numbers are hard to look at. As is this:

15181123_771847419637632_2813635694198536248_n.jpg

Thanks Chris Labudde for keeping the shutter open long enough to take this pic.

This was a wakeup call. These lovely days have been lovely. But this was cx, revealed as the ugly brute it can be. And most likely WILL be in January at Hartford. All the cold weather gear has to be in the car. SPDS and down tubes and bottom bracket shelves MUST be Rain-X’d. Stay-warm protocol and warm-up have to be locked down. And post race clean up, from towels, to shower locations, to a go-bag of dry clothing, has to be solid. Not to mention brushes and water for the bike after the prerides and the race. I was able to put none of this in the “check” column, and it cost me mentally.

Of course, this was all made more difficult by sucking at the race. Plenty of unprepared chilly folks kicked my ass today, so it wasn’t a question of ticking those boxes and going on to win. But nailing the other stuff makes being tolerably mediocre at the main thing a lil less painful.

Did the MTB post-race hurt me at all? Prolly not. Didn't even think about til I was writing this. SO many variables. Adding another prolly didn't help, but could it have hurt THAT much?

Anyone want a set of tubeless Kenda Kommandos? Used 2x and possibly cursed.

Last edited:
Supercross

(Pre blather - @The Squirrel! Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry I missed you pre-gash. Does this mean you can still heckle?)

I ran to Harbor Freight in North Bergen on Saturday to buy a cowbell for this race. I had planned to stay all day. After the cashier helps me find the cowbell, she asks with a totally straight face, "you have cows?"...NORTH BERGEN.

My heckle game needs more work than my riding. I just can't bring myself to heckle properly. I'm more of a positive reinforcement type of guy. As far as the gash hindering me, I just can't make any faces. Anytime I move my eyebrows it hurts.

I'm more of a positive reinforcement type of guy.
Funny you mention that. My Sportybooks kit has HeckleNice written on the butt. Being supportive is so much more fun than being a dick. Being mean isn't heckling. It's just being a dick. Unless it's you, @The Squirrel, in sand. I can't control myself.

If you're at a loss for what to say, count riders or time gaps and give 'em useful info. Hero-time!

Enjoying all the SuperReports. I was super bummed to miss it all but alas I have been sick for 3 weeks. I reg'd for Nats so maybe i can ramp up the season starting NOW

Sand is not my natural habitat. But I have to say, I enjoyed it.

There was a guy at Nittany who was being a little brutal. Every lap he was giving me a hard time. Lap before the last, he had nothing to say, so I sat up and put my hands in the air with a "what gives" look. I totally pissed him off. It made my race.

Supercross Cup Weekend 2016

Saturday....
Upgrade went thru this week for 4->3, but after looking at the race times, I opted for the Master's 35+ (1/2/3/4) race at 10:45am. Oooffff....
Drove up solo on Saturday morning, since @Harry Hamilton was racing in the 55+ race an hour earlier and he had to leave right after he was done. Packed up everything Friday night. Hit the road in the morning, and arrived at 7am. Wanted to get there nice and early to get in a few laps to check the joint out, cause new venue. Also had a co-worker, Jeff, doing his first race in the 4/5 at 8am and wanted to point him in the right direction for reg/pre ride/staging, etc.

The course... Holy hills batman. #TooMuchSuper Rode two full laps, and doubled back on the stairs a few times. Decided to run them.
Get Jeff over to the start of the 4/5 Race, then grab megaphone and vuvuzela to head over to the stairs for some heckling... Beautiful weather for suffering. And yelling at people. Much fun was had here.
Rode another lap between races, watched Harry and @seanrunnette in their 9:45am 55+ and 45+ races, photos in the Weekend Thread.

10:15 I head to car, change into skinsuit for race and ride around the parking lot on the hill for a bit.

Staging...
They call up the Vittoria Series leaders for the first row or two. There was a national champ in there somewhere, a junior I guess. The 35+ was mixed with the 15-18's. Call up by name. WTF am I doing here. I'm 5th row? maybe 6th? Doesn't matter. We go. Up the pavement to the first off camber along the fence. I find myself on the high line, make up a few lost spots along the way . Then we hit the off camber turns, and the right hander is a little jammed up. The front guys are gone already. As we make our way up to the pit area, it thins out a lot. I make a pass or two, get passed by a few, and eventually settle in behind a Kissena guy. For the next 3-4 laps we go back and forth, until I get a decent gap on him after the stairs on lap 4(?). I come thru the S/F and see 2 to go as I start my 5th lap. 30 seconds later I hear the announcer calling out the leader and hear the bell for the last lap. I will get caught. Soon. Going up the first few turns, I can see over my shoulder the two leaders on the off camber along the fence line by the track. As they're about 15 yards behind me I pull over as far as I can to the left to let them by..... They pass like I'm going backwards. Ugh. Shortly after a couple more guys lap me, and I finish 29th, one lap down, getting passed by 5 guys. Not bad... First lap video HERE

Lap times
1 - 8:40
2 - 8:58
3 - 9:03
4 - 9:08
5 - 9:25

Sunday

What can I say. Cold. Wind. Snow. Mud. Cross...
Harry & I drive up together. Check in on newbie Jeff. He has mud tires today instead of file treads. Good boy.

One lap course recon. Holy fuck. Sit in the car for an hour. Watch a little of the 4/5's. Yell at @1sh0t1b33r , Jeff, and a few others. Back in the car for an hour. Watch Harry & Sean again in their race. Go to car, change socks, cover shoes with duct tape (yes, it did help, so fuck off :)), change gloves, ditch skull cap and jacket, and make it to staging as call ups start. Same staging. 4th row. Go! Up the pavement to the first off camber along the fence. I find myself on the high line, make up a few lost spots along the way until the end when I catch my bar on the chain link fence. Stay upright, but loose a few spots. Then we hit the off camber turns, and the right hander is all jammed up. Running, remount, hot that long off camber straight by the tennis court, try to ride, and slide out. The mud is just nasty. As we hit firmer ground, I notice my chain dropped. ugh. 3rd time this year? fix, remount, still not DFL, how is that possible? I see @jShort but the corner of the building and say hi as I ride by. I managed to make a few passes up on the flatland by the barriers. A few before, and a few after. This was a battle to stay upright the entire race, Even while running up the mud hills.

IMG_6615.JPG

I rode three of four laps. I finished about 10 yards in front of the leader, and the official took pity on me and said "You're done. I'll put you out of your misery" Thank you sir.

Lap times
1 - 12:43
2 - 14:09
3 - 14:37

Next race thoughts? Solstice or Limestone? Need to choose 1

No Westwood? Looking forward to the wind coming off the lake at wawayanda

No Westwood? Looking forward to the wind coming off the lake at wawayanda
No... gonna be away...

I've done Limestone twice. Once in 8 inches of snow, and last year. I have unfinished business there. After that is Natz. We be racing each otherz...

How is this possible??

52 Jeremy Short Glen Gardner, NJ 276.36
53 Dan Arnstein Team Marty's Madison, NJ 276.86

per USAC

Supercross Sunday - Men's 3

Like @MadisonDan, my Cat 3 upgrade came through on Thursday. I wanted to pick only one day of Supercross to race, starting to feel a bit charred around the edges after 13 races already this year and 4-5 more in the hopper. I was supposed to ride up with @The Squirrel and he could only do Sunday so I opted for Sunday too which seemed like a good idea at the time. Yay mud!

I got there around 10 AM and watched Dan go by a few times, he definitely embraced the suck pretty well. I hopped on for a pre-ride lap and it's pretty muddy but there are some good rideable sections. Take my chances at the long off camber first time through and quickly take a nap.
IMG_2360.JPG

I got up and realized this was the cleanest that I'll be all day and today won't be all that fun. I got another 2 half laps of pre-ride where the course started to get significantly worse after every race. Then the snow flurries started to come down and I started to get colder and colder and just couldn't get warm before the start of the race. My brain also stopped functioning a little bit at this point...

I rolled over to the start and lined up 4th or 5th row. After the whistle went, I floated to around 3/4 of the way back of the pack and there was just carnage on the off camber along the track. I got off and ran from there all the way through the tennis court off-camber. The course went to complete shit between races, and my bottom bracket is already caked in mud. This is quite the baptism by fire for a dirt-crit racer. I slogged through the next 3 laps doing as much running as riding, slowly fading out the back, and came through the finish line 10-15 seconds ahead of the leaders. I then realized I'm riding this last lap out solo, take a PBR handup, and slog my way through one more miserable lap.

Thank god this venue had showers. Post race, I showered, warmed up and got a $15 artisinal rice bowl from the food truck that quickly froze solid and the rice kept blowing on the course during the UCI race as I was eating. I caught up with @seanrunnette who kept yelling "THIS IS CROSS!!!" and told me to buy tubulars.

Next race: NBX Sat/Sun but maybe not if its this muddy!

Strava
Lap times: 13:30, 15:02, 16:20, 16:36
IMG_2356.JPG

drivetrain carnage post-race. I may need to replace a bottom bracket this weekend.

IMG_2365.JPG

Thanks to @1sh0t1b33r for the picture in ankle deep mud.

Last edited:
Holy shit those lap times! I feel for you. Sounds like you came thru the line in almost the same spot I did in my race, but the official told me I was done. I definitely would have thrown up a 16 handle on the last lap had he not pulled me... Thank god.

Kenda Kommandos
Cursed means free, right? One mans curse is another mans good luck, right!?

Maybe it's still my lack of understanding in cross, but why did the 4/5 first place duder get pulled at just a hair over 20 minutes in a 30 minute race? Is it because another lap would have gone over 30? The following 45 minute race went for just under an hour so it seemed a bit unfair. Does the promoter get to make any and all decisions regarding race times? I still wish I got another lap in. That was FUN.

Supercross Sunday - Men's 3

Like @MadisonDan, my Cat 3 upgrade came through on Thursday. I wanted to pick only one day of Supercross to race, starting to feel a bit charred around the edges after 13 races already this year and 4-5 more in the hopper. I was supposed to ride up with @The Squirrel and he could only do Sunday so I opted for Sunday too which seemed like a good idea at the time. Yay mud!

I got there around 10 AM and watched Dan go by a few times, he definitely embraced the suck pretty well. I hopped on for a pre-ride lap and it's pretty muddy but there are some good rideable sections. Take my chances at the long off camber first time through and quickly take a nap.
View attachment 43797

I got up and realized this was the cleanest that I'll be all day and today won't be all that fun. I got another 2 half laps of pre-ride where the course started to get significantly worse after every race. Then the snow flurries started to come down and I started to get colder and colder and just couldn't get warm before the start of the race. My brain also stopped functioning a little bit at this point...

I rolled over to the start and lined up 4th or 5th row. After the whistle went, I floated to around 3/4 of the way back of the pack and there was just carnage on the off camber along the track. I got off and ran from there all the way through the tennis court off-camber. The course went to complete shit between races, and my bottom bracket is already caked in mud. This is quite the baptism by fire for a dirt-crit racer. I slogged through the next 3 laps doing as much running as riding, slowly fading out the back, and came through the finish line 10-15 seconds ahead of the leaders. I then realized I'm riding this last lap out solo, take a PBR handup, and slog my way through one more miserable lap.

Thank god this venue had showers. Post race, I showered, warmed up and got a $15 artisinal rice bowl from the food truck that quickly froze solid and the rice kept blowing on the course during the UCI race as I was eating. I caught up with @seanrunnette who kept yelling "THIS IS CROSS!!!" and told me to buy tubulars.

Next race: NBX Sat/Sun but maybe not if its this muddy!

Strava Lap times: 13:30, 15:02, 16:20, 16:36
View attachment 43798
drivetrain carnage post-race. I may need to replace a bottom bracket this weekend.

View attachment 43799
Thanks to @1sh0t1b33r for the picture in ankle deep mud.
By the way..... that first picture makes me giggle. It almost looks like you did it on purpose, and I definitely had that thought several times as I was riding around out there. If I was 10 years younger, well, ok, 20 years younger I definitely would have done that on purpose.

Back
Top Bottom