Can I get a freakin race report?

Robin

Cooper River doesn't really suit my strengths with it's long, flat, straight away sections. But I keep coming back. My field was smaller than other MAC fields but my nemesis (and friend) was racing along with some other familiar (and not so familiar faces). I was never a fan of the pavement-grass transition at CR so I knew I wanted to get ahead at the start - which I did. I held the lead with my "nemesis" on my wheel for 3 laps. I'm not used to this "racing" (i.e. strategy and people around me) but I knew I didn't want to pull her the entire race. At lap 4, she got in front of me, I rode her wheel...and then we started lapping other riders. My plan was to hold her wheel until the end and hopefully have enough gas to sprint to the finish. As we were coming into the last stretch before the pavement, two riders were spread across the course, unpredictable on their lines. My friend got onto the pavement ahead of me and gassed it. I couldn't catch her and ended up finishing 2nd. Bittersweet.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
@seanrunnette
1. Excellent write up of a very trying day.
2. Don't quit for the season.

Take a race to reset yourself. A race? Yes, race - don't rest. Go into it not thinking about the podium. Just pedal your bike and focus on your skills. Don't dig too deep, don't get frustrated. TAKE EVERY HAND UP and have yourself a good time.

I say this because I know personally time away from the races hurts me with everything you struggling with. Consider it a paid CX practice. Stay local, find some people you love being around and have a just good time.

Sometime's CX can be a cruel mistress but we like getting punched in the eye post coitus for some reason, don't we?

Rooting for you!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great job this weekend @hotsauce
Third place on Saturday is awesome!! 103 riders at the starting line. Good shit. I wasn't feeling it. I felt like the first half of lap 1 was too slow actually. Like we were gonna get caught by guys who shouldn't catch us. After the first lap, I know I was in trouble. Legs just weren't responding the way they should. I managed to hang on for 20th. meh.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
As promised, here goes race reports from Cooper River CX and West Chester Cross Classic this weekend. My week consisted of a long weekend off in Boston for my birthday (my racing age is finally only one year more than my real age now) then a work trip back to Boston Wednesday through Friday. Needless to say there was also plenty of poor eating, drinking, and training choices too.

Cooper River CX - Men's 4/5
Rolled up to Cooper River Park 10-15 minutes later than expected and was only able to squeeze in two easy laps before being kicked off the course for the juniors. Crap. My biggest issue so far is having a good start and I thought this would hurt me even more than poor starts have been in the past!! End up doing some good efforts on the pavement and practicing starting a half dozen times and semi-figure it out. The start is on pavement leading into a wide right hander then into a wide-ish left hander so I line up 2nd row on the left side but not all the way left since there are feet from crowd control barriers sticking out every 15-20 ft and I like my teeth the way they are.

The USAC official stands in front of the field in full view of the front row and the whistle goes and I miraculously clip in and have a pretty darn good start! Keeping places well and even gaining a few off the line!!! I was halfway in shock that I didn't screw up that I almost didn't know what to do. I went into the first corner in 5th position and stayed top 10 through the first few corners then settled into a group of 5 or so at the back of the group after the first half lap. It's amazing how much easier it is to ride from the front than frantically trying to pick off places from the back. My heart rate wasn't redlining the whole time and I felt like I had so much more in the tank.

This is Dan's video, you can see me on the left in the gray long sleeve jersey and pink socks.

I stayed 5th wheel most of the first 2 laps then a CRCA/e2Value rider comes up from the back to join our group, hangs for a few minutes, then solos off the front. My group is down to 4 for the last 3 laps with another ride who will/may remain nameless almost running me out the course tape twice then dive bombing me in a corner right after announcing to the group that his handlebars are loose and he doesn't have a lot of control. Thanks bro... After a love tap from me, he then has some other than savory words for me including a slur that doesn't have a place in sport or life and then tells me that he'll kick my ass on line. Rubbing is racing though, right? I plan on making my move on the 2nd position rider coming into the barriers where he's had trouble clipping in the last few laps but lapped riders and him having a good remount foils my plan. I stay in 3rd wheel coming onto the pavement for the finish in the drops and hold 3rd in the sprint across the line!

Lap times: 8:35, 8:15, 8:05, 8:27, 8:03

https://www.strava.com/activities/745795708

It's amazing how much different the race is without having to burn most of my matches in the first lap to make up positions and really "racing" a race. My form felt a bit off coming into the race so I was thrilled with the result. The course organizer did a lot with a small space, very technical with enough power sections, one set of barriers, a high two step run-up, and a pre-school sized sand pit. Lots of roots, sticks, and bumps added to the challenge. The highlight of the day was the promoter/timing guy providing emailed results with lap times an hour after my race finished. Why doesn't every race do this? It's a value add that will make me come to your race. Maybe a suggestion that it could be a requirement for all MAC races next year?

West Chester Cross Classic - Men's 4/5

I stayed with my mom in Bucks County PA on Saturday night to reduce driving time back and forth to Hoboken. Some dubious strip mall Korean food and tired legs had me awake before my alarm and I got an early start to the race though my stomach was unsettled and my legs felt like bricks.

I get to the course super early and get a prime spot. I get in 4 pre-ride laps though I don't feel like I have enough energy to ride a hot lap so I keep my pre-ride to working on form and memorizing the course. This course has a LOT of climbing! A few steep up, down, up downs plus a barrier into a run-up and lots of twisty turns. There were even a few off-camber switch backs that felt Zolder-esque though were probably only scale models. Plenty of power sections to go along with the punchy and gradual climbing.

We lined up for the start and I had a 2nd row call up and I line up behind a known fast guy. I look around and there are tons of hitters here. Basically everyone who has beaten me all season is here. (I'll learn after the fact that the podium was all cat 2/strong 3 road guys while I'm damn near pack fodder in cat 4). The whistle goes from behind the field like a good USAC official should do and I lose a few spots but then settle in to 5th again after the end of the prologue lap. We head into a climb up the hill, steep downhill into a sharp turn, then into a steep uphill on wet grass and my Grifo goes "slipslipslip" and I bleed a few spots up the hill but I'm able to make my way back up to 5th after a few turns.

A group of 3 of the hitters breaks away and I settle into the 2nd group of 3 riders for a lap or so before losing one rider and swapping leads with the other guy for the remainder of the race. The other rider has me on the power sections but I can make up any lost ground in the technical areas. On the last lap the other rider puts in a huge dig up a sustained climb through traffic and I crack and can't respond. Legs feel like Jell-O. I look back and the 6th position rider is close but not too close so I still dig my hardest for the last 1/2 lap and cross the line in 5th, 4-5 seconds behind 4th place.

Lap times: 10:03 (with prologue), 8:34, 8:44, 8:39 (Same timing guy as CRCX, now I'm getting spoiled)

https://www.strava.com/activities/747092078

PA does 5 deep podiums (weird) so I stick around for a goodie bag and awkward floor podium. I can get used to this doing well thing! It feels so much better to actually have good starts and race for 40 minutes compared to chase for 40 minutes. I came away with 6 points in my first weekend as a Cat 4 which isn't a bad haul. The cross hangover is real on Monday morning though. A few celebratory glasses of rose and tired legs had me awake at 4:50 AM so why not write some race reports?!?! I have GoPro videos processing now and will upload them later today.

Next up: Whirlybird Cross - Men's 4/5 and Marty Cross - Men's 4

Congrats on the upgrade points! Next time you're in Boston for business check bike reg for some races up there.

choop

Cooper River 4/5 Report.

Up at 5:30. Throw some frozen waffles in the toaster and start packing stuff up. Bike is set, bag is packed, shove some waffles into the belly and get moving on the road around 6. After getting in the car for 15 minutes I notice the temperature is dropping. I get into the pine barrens and I get a 33º reading. Thermometer must be broken, cause I didn't pack any knee warmers.

Pull into the race. Get number. Throw on a hoodie and check out the course. Only race #2 for me, so I live in paranoia that I must have a few laps on the course. I got 4 in. Extra credit! I feel ok about the course. I take some extra time trying to figure out the lines and the approach to the steps.

Lap 1: I line up somewhere in the middle of the pack. I debated in the brain if I should line up on the left. That would set up the first turn but I would be on the inside of the second turn and I thought that turn would be fast going wide. So I set up on the right side of the grid to hopefully be in a good position for the second corner. Mistake. Whistle blows. Clip in was good and I don't feel like I lost many positions and come of the pavement onto the grass. Pinched. I get through but slow to a crawl. Second turn was ok, but I lost enough spots at this point that it was a mad rush to make them up. Log jams at the next two pinch points but I get through and stop the bleeding. I really need to work on my starts. Set up for the first turn, nothing beyond that if you are starting mid pack. Lesson learned.

I quickly learning that the lines you want and practice in warm ups probably won't be there in the first lap. I get to the steps and the inside is full, so I go wide and after the turn stay on for a few more pedal strokes. Dismount a bit awkwardly but in time. Up the steps and remount. After the steps field seems to spread out a bit and there is some room to work. 9:38

Lap 2 was faster and I am feeling better. Its starting to hurt and I am pretty sure that the dude mis-counted when he yelled 3 to go. 9:04

Lap 3 was my fastest and it was mostly trying bridge up to a group ahead that I was very slowly reeling in. I make it up and hang with them for a bit. Exchange pleasantries with a friend and such. 8:59

Lap 4 I slowed a bit. I was now in maintenance mode. Just trying to hold what I had and negotiate where I was and not pushing beyond the limit. Towards the end of the lap I realized I was making some stupid mistakes and wasn't as clean. 9:05

Lap 5 I really wanted to catch the guy in front of me. 1/4 of the way through the lap I caught up to him and he pulled away. I couldn't stick with him. A bit later in the lap I got passed right before one of the straights and I couldn't hold his wheel either. I was still riding a bit sloppy. I couldn't figure out if I didn't have anything left or I just couldn't get my brain to dig a bit deeper. I closed the gap a bit at the end of the lap, but didn't have enough. 9:08

I finished 46/103. I am ok with that I guess. I was fearful of a bad start and not finishing the race on the lead lap. My fitness has slipped since August which is annoying when you go to grab that little extra, and its just not there. Next up is Marty Cross on Sunday.

bm1981

I'll chime in with my take on Cooper River.

Cross Race #1

Get a new bike the week before the race - Check
Put 20 miles in on the bike and call that training for the race - Check
Practice mounts and dismounts for 15 minutes on Friday afternoon - Check
Tune up the bike while drinking a margarita at 10PM Friday night - Check

Sign up, show up- with this amount of preparation and careful planning I'm expecting a big day for race number 1

Initial thoughts:
Dam its cold
Why the big issue w/ pinning on numbers?
Dam its cold
Pick a number for air pressure
Get half a lap of practice in before getting pulled to go line up
Not so cold anymore

Strip down and see everyone else around me has snazzy this and that warmers, bib and short sleeves for me I'd rather start cold vs overheat on lap 4. I get instructed to line up smack in the middle lane row 9, exactly where you don't want to be for your first race. The whole first lap was spent trying not to fall and get clear of passing riders. 2 minutes in and my HR is 181 and this is bad, I went our way too fast and now I'm paying for it. The back stretch along the lake was pretty fast until I thought I got a flat, turns out it was just a patch of Zoysia grass that was liker riding in mud. At this point I realized I was in trouble and don't have the legs to hammer w/ the pack. I got dropped off the back and was in no man's land after 3/4 of a lap and hurting. The next 40+ minutes was just an introspection of what the hell was I thinking and look at all these sadists standing around the barriers waiting for a wreck.

I did get the dollar bill heckle, based on my performance I was expecting more heckles.

I finished 98th, hurting like hell its not at win but its not a DFL., I'll take it.

Can't wait to do Mary Cross next weekend.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll chime in with my take on Cooper River.

Cross Race #1

Get a new bike the week before the race - Check
Put 20 miles in on the bike and call that training for the race - Check
Practice mounts and dismounts for 15 minutes on Friday afternoon - Check
Tune up the bike while drinking a margarita at 10PM Friday night - Check

Sign up, show up- with this amount of preparation and careful planning I'm expecting a big day for race number 1

Initial thoughts:
Dam its cold
Why the big issue w/ pinning on numbers?
Dam its cold
Pick a number for air pressure
Get half a lap of practice in before getting pulled to go line up
Not so cold anymore

Strip down and see everyone else around me has snazzy this and that warmers, bib and short sleeves for me I'd rather start cold vs overheat on lap 4. I get instructed to line up smack in the middle lane row 9, exactly where you don't want to be for your first race. The whole first lap was spent trying not to fall and get clear of passing riders. 2 minutes in and my HR is 181 and this is bad, I went our way too fast and now I'm paying for it. The back stretch along the lake was pretty fast until I thought I got a flat, turns out it was just a patch of Zoysia grass that was liker riding in mud. At this point I realized I was in trouble and don't have the legs to hammer w/ the pack. I got dropped off the back and was in no man's land after 3/4 of a lap and hurting. The next 40+ minutes was just an introspection of what the hell was I thinking and look at all these sadists standing around the barriers waiting for a wreck.

I did get the dollar bill heckle, based on my performance I was expecting more heckles.

I finished 98th, hurting like hell its not at win but its not a DFL., I'll take it.

Can't wait to do Mary Cross next weekend.

Congrats on the first race... Sounds similar to my first race a few years ago. Marty Cross will be a smaller field, but it's going to hurt so much more... That was my first race. You'll know what I mean when you get there..

vlkslvr

Cooper River doesn't really suit my strengths with it's long, flat, straight away sections. But I keep coming back. My field was smaller than other MAC fields but my nemesis (and friend) was racing along with some other familiar (and not so familiar faces). I was never a fan of the pavement-grass transition at CR so I knew I wanted to get ahead at the start - which I did. I held the lead with my "nemesis" on my wheel for 3 laps. I'm not used to this "racing" (i.e. strategy and people around me) but I knew I didn't want to pull her the entire race. At lap 4, she got in front of me, I rode her wheel...and then we started lapping other riders. My plan was to hold her wheel until the end and hopefully have enough gas to sprint to the finish. As we were coming into the last stretch before the pavement, two riders were spread across the course, unpredictable on their lines. My friend got onto the pavement ahead of me and gassed it. I couldn't catch her and ended up finishing 2nd. Bittersweet.

I watched the race Robin and was rooting for you. I saw your strategy to not lead all the laps and really hoped you were going to get that finish line sprint. When you guys hit the pavement I thought you still had a chance but saw that you just couldn't quite catch her.

Great job on the second place - it's not my type of course either with those long flat straights and way too wide corners. In the end though I totally enjoyed it more than I expected and will be back next year.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cooper River CX - Men's 4/5 (yeah, that's what, three of us now?)

Raced here in 2014 as a Cat 5, and got smoked pretty good, missed last year to go get beat up in Gloucester or Providence, whichever was that same weekend. So here I am, having a good start to the season with a 22nd in the 4/5 at Nittany Day 2, 3rd at Hippo in 4/5 40+, followed by top step at Caffeinated in the 4/5 40+. Good start so far, and crossresults has me finishing 14th at CRCX. I want top 10. Well..... Didn't get in my two work outs during the week, and the one I did wasn't that great. Stomach was off from maybe Wednesday night/Thursday morning onwards. Just never felt right. Hopefully Saturday morning is better.......

5:45am Saturday wake up, go thru the usual morning rituals, feeling better. Not great, but better. 6:30am Harry & I are on the road, he's driving, which is a change. Arrive at the race at about 7:45-7:50am. Throw on shoes, adjust tire pressure to standard race #'s and do two course inspection laps. Similar from two years ago, little different, but close enough. Aside from a few big divots and a few roots, I thought the course was pretty smooth. The two steps were bigger than two years ago, good location, no shot of coming in too hot. The sand pit was a nice touch, would have liked to see more (yeah Bubblecross!!!!). Barrier placement was great, near where people were naturally milling about, and I felt the spacing was great for my stride. Finish the two laps, hit the port-o-shitter, stomach still in the good not great ballpark, then get race number while the juniors are on the course. Number 10, second row. Purely by registration order.

Staging/Race
Second row, second or third from left. Good spot. The juniors are still finishing, and the entire 100+ field of 4/5's cheer as the last few come thru to the finish. I'm yelling at one of the kids to ATTACK!!!!!! Ref says 30 seconds just as the last junior is about to roll thru, I yell "Two more laps!!!!" <crickets> Ok.. now 30 seconds........ Go! Pavement sprint, right turn, sharp left turn, soft right, sharp right around a tree/little hill and I'm in 6th or 7th. We get to the open part of the course, and two things occur to me. First is we're not going fast enough. Whoever is in front won't be there for long, we're all going to get caught, I can feel it. Second thought is I feel like shit, and can't go any faster, even if I wanted to. Fuk. Game plan is not to bleed as little as possible. Rode everything clean. No problems at all with the steps/sand/barriers. I lost the most ground on lap 3 of 5. I really didn't feel well there. Seeing 2 to go lit a little fire, and I made up a spot or two that I had lost, and guessed I was somewhere between 18th & 25th. Started passing lapped riders on the 5th lap. Everyone was cool, there was a group of 4 or 5 just ahead of me that I really wanted to catch, hoping I could pick up a spot or two on the pavement sprint to the line, so I called out passes and made it up to the group with less than half a lap to go as we passed the pit. Made a pass after the barriers, then lost it thru a turn. Onto the pavement, didn't have the chops to outsprint anyone, but no one else caught me. 20th of 103. Not what I hoped for, but considering I was probably 25th or so on the 3rd lap, I'll take it.

Video of lap 1 here

Lap times were:
8:43 - too slow!!!
8:31 - prollay a little too fast....
8:47 - :dead:
8:42 - Hanging on, starting to ramp it up a little..
8:21 - Made up some spots, near vomit after finish line......

The rest of the season look like this:
Marty Cross 4/5 40+
HPCX 4/5
HPCX 3/4
BubbleCross 4/5 40+
Bubble Cross 4/5 40+
Sussex 4/5 40+
SuperCross 4/5
SuperCross 4/5

possibly Solstice CX & Limestone. At some point, I will probably cat up to 3's. I have 8 points now. Maybe Marty CX gets me to voluntary status, HPCX won't do much for me, then Bubble day 1 or 2 hopefully will be the nail in the mandatory coffin, so Sussex and SuperCross hopefully will be as a 3.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At some point, I will probably cat up to 3's.

Now is as good as ever :).

It's crazy how big the 4/5 are compared to the 3/4, although I think start time has something to do with that.

I'd love to have the 4/5 start times. I think they should swap for my own selfish reasons. But I could see promoters worrying about losing some of those 4/5 #s if they changed. Not all the 4/5s would upgrade to keep the start times.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Now is as good as ever :).
After Bubble 1...... ;)

I've been doing these early races for a few years now, as much as it doesn't ruin the rest of the day, I get up at 5:30 for work during the week, I'd love more sleeps on the weekends. Besides, I can also do the Open Masters if the times are better too... :D

hotsauce

Finally got my videos from Cooper River 4/5 and West Chester 4/5 up. Still feeling pretty shot out after the long weekend of racing and traveling so no overlays this time.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
always love watching the starts, you can see how number 13 in the cooper river video is watching the whistle and crushes the start.

hotsauce

you can see how number 13 in the cooper river video is watching the whistle and crushes the start
Nobody actually wanted that first spot on the barriers, it was open for a bit before he snuck in. Given the feet of the barriers sticking out into the road it was a gamble that paid off for him and his teeth.

I don't mean to be a hater, but the USAC official that was at CRCX was the same guy who was at Caffeinated and I'm sure is at most of the races. His whistle blowing technique is to stand in front of the field and blow 5 seconds after the 30 second warning. I was under the impression that proper form was to walk behind the field and not do the same thing every dang time. What gives?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Much better angle of that dude eatting shit at about 4:30 in. Looked like he hit it harder from that angle.

Most of the races in the area have the same USAC officials. At least he didn't blow the whistle while the junior was still on the course.
30 seconds!
Nah bro, we'll run her over.
Ok, erryone relax.

That would have been a first.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was under the impression that proper form was to walk behind the field and not do the same thing every dang time
I've yet to see that done. My suggestion to file this under local knowledge and get ready to rock when he's inhaling.

hotsauce

tl;dr - Whirlybird was messy AF and I did well. Marty's was hilly AF and I did not do well.

Whirlybird Cross - Men's 4/5

Totally miserable weather in the morning. Wake up at 5:20 and its in the mid 40's and slightly raining. Down the turnpike the temp stays pretty consistent but the rains picks up pretty good. I totally underpacked for the day, besides a thermal vest I didn't have any cold weather gear or rain gear. Plus I only had one change of dry regular people clothes. The rain lets up right before the start of the race thankfully!

Lined up first row but I had a pretty miserable start. Missed my pedal then couldn't seem to find it anywhere I looked. I worked my way up to top 5ish through the first 1/4 lap after burning a few matches I didn't want to. I wasn't paying attention over the barriers the first time through and generally spaced out that it would be a mess since it was so close to the start. I ran into traffic and ran into the guy in front of me. Whoops. Did an awkward waddle around him and up the incline before the left hand turn but lost a bunch of spots. Luckily after a few quick turns the course opened up in to a big power section on a tractor road where I could open it up a bit. Got chopped by another rider that I was trying to use as a wind shield which was annoying so I went around him and kept powering through. I ended up catching the lead group relatively quickly but burned a few more matches than I anticipated so early. By the time I catch the leaders a 16 year old kid from Guy's is about to solo away so I ride with a small group for a bit before it's just me and one other rider from BBC in Baltimore for 2ish laps. We trade leads a bit and each bumble over obstacles in the woods/muddy section before a CS Velo rider catches us and we're a group of 3 for a while. I can tell I don't have the legs to keep grinding all day and coming out of the woods on the last lap the CS Velo rider goes, the BBC rider follows, and I bumble over the log. There's too much ground to gain and I do my best to make up time without spending too much remaining energy while not letting the rider behind get too close and cruise in for 4th.

Roll right from the finish to the bike wash and spend an exorbitant amount of time washing my bike with the weakest hose on earth. The freezing cold mud starts to feel horrible really quick and I'm feeling a quick exit. Missing the podium by one spot has it small advantages. Luckily my mom lives nearby to the race and I drive barefoot and teeth chattering to her house for a much needed hot shower.

Lap times: 9:01, 9:08, 9:13, 9:09
https://www.strava.com/activities/752465190

Marty Cross - Men's 4
Race time was 2:30 and thanks to the scheduling help of those on the board I arrived at 11:00 where there was a nice 45 minute window to pre-ride. I found the Squirrel and he showed me the ropes from the course and I soon realized I was overgeared for the hill, big time! My legs weren't responding the way they should, serious fatigue. Also have a quick chat with tall podcast guy (I suck with names), he wishes me good luck, and I chuckle since I know I'm about to get smoked.

I had a first row call-up since it sounds like it was based on reg order instead of series points like I thought it was supposed to have been done. I got a good jump off the line and come through the first two turns close to the front but as the course opens up the field is powering through and I'm just not moving... I lost a few spots in the off cambers down the first hill then kept my own through the rooty section then slammed right into the hill. There was more traffic than I expected on the first lap and I could only make it up in my easiest gear out of the saddle. Still thinking I had a glimmer of hope to make back ground I pushed hard but pulled my cleat out of the pedal and had to get off and run. Final nail in the coffin that today is not my day. Settle in to 15th position and ride the wheel of a King Kog rider all the way to the finish after the end of the first lap. Passed a few guys along the way and did my best to conserve power as much as possible. Come through the finish in 12th of 30 and the 'cross hangover hits immediately.

Lap times: 9:01, 9:08, 9:13, 9:09
https://www.strava.com/activities/754090622

I have GoPro videos of both days but my camera got caked in mud on Saturday and Sunday was a bust so I may not even bother processing them. Drinking a couple of Harpoon Friday Flannel's seemed like a better idea the evening.

Two races per weekend is turning out to be much harder than I thought and I need to dial it back a bit if I want to stay competitive all season long, especially with a looming upgrade. With two race days, a cross practice, a few trainer sessions, and yoga each week, it's just too much and something has to give. For next weekend it's going to be skipping Sunday at HPCX. I'm registered for the 4/5 race on Saturday and was planning on racing the 3/4 race on Sunday due to other scheduling conflicts but after this weekend I'm all in for Saturday and will put my feet up on Sunday. Still planning on both days of Bubble, one day of Supercross, one day at Kutztown, and maybe trips up north for two days at NBX and mid-December CT races.

SSmtbr

Marty Cross - Men's 5 - WARNING! LENGTHY FIRST CROSS RACE POST MATERIAL

What a day! After 4 weeks of talking about pulling the trigger on entering my first cross race, I finally got off my ass and did it; just barely before the Friday night cutoff (more on that in a second). My first MTB XC race was Marty's LewMo race in 2014 and had a great time so I knew that the Marty's guys would make today a blast as well.

I pull up around 7:45am, Specialized Crave MTB in tow, with a full lot and plenty of riders and my pre-race anxiety shifted to pre-race stoke. Grab my number and pin it on; double check it and triple check...I think it looks okay! Now for the fun stuff.

Because I waited until nearly the last minute to reg AND was too busy talking during call-ups to get in the correct row, I slotted into the next to back row. In my limited MTB racing experience every time I go off the front hard, I blow up and burn every single match in the first 30 seconds. I'm fine (or so I thought at the moment) with a slower start. I quickly realize that I'm getting stuck in traffic and I'm lacking the confidence to aggressively pass in a few sections, which leads to a bit of frustration.

Second lap feels much better! I'm starting to settle down from hitting my redline and gradually pick off a few riders and hold them off. I cleared the hill climb on the first lap and wanted to try to catch a few positions on the hikers on round 2. I power up it and nearly blow up when I encounter my first heckle from I think was @The Heckler "Mountain bike wheelie!" Now on a good day I'm at about a 75% proficiency rate with a respectable wheelie. Today, no way in hell, and all I can manage muster up is a smile of pain. I knew that cross would be hard, but this is a new level of suffering I've never experienced. I get the wheelie heckle one more time at the start/finish line where I finally get enough air in my lungs to yell out a promise to pull one next lap...which never came. I owe you one next time!

Lap 3 out of 4 - This is where I start thinking to myself that there's probably a chance I'll get lapped and call it a day one lap earlier, which means I wouldn't have to hammer the massive hill and the seemingly 15 other grinders on the course. The announcer calls out that we're finishing on the lead lap...Wow, one more to go! I catch a few others and we trade back and forth for the final lap with my HR creeping higher and higher and my legs giving me the signs that they've had enough of this torture. Shut up!

I roll through the finish line gasping for breath and am greeted by a few other racers asking if it was an appropriate time to puke. Not 5 minutes after I finish, I decided that in some sort of sick way I love this feeling of suffering! We begin discussing upcoming races and I grab some water and cool down. Results post and I find that I finished 23rd...Super stoked!

I don't think I was able to formally meet anyone today who posts on the cross threads here, but hoping I can meet up in the coming races. I loved the vibe and atmosphere and the course was brutal but fun! I've learned a ton just from today that'll be useful for future races. Next two for me are HPCX and BubbleCross...and maybe a true cross bike in the near future?!

Top Bottom