Can I get a freakin race report?

Good to know. Excellent write up, and primo scouting report :) Glad to see the new bike is working out. It's awful purty.
Thanks man.. Still have work to do regarding pressure in the tubulars. Only went down 1psi each from my tubeless set up. Could I maybe go 1 lower? Probably.

For Saturday at Solstice, I spy:

Elite Women
@Robin
LVG

Fat CX
Selene Yeager

Masters 55+
@Harry Hamilton

Masters 35+
me

C'mon! Who else is going?

Thanks man.. Still have work to do regarding pressure in the tubulars. Only went down 1psi each from my tubeless set up. Could I maybe go 1 lower? Probably.

For Saturday at Solstice, I spy:

Elite Women
@Robin
LVG

Fat CX
Selene Yeager

Masters 55+
@Harry Hamilton

Masters 35+
me

I'm hoping to be there. Right now it feels like there is an elephant sitting on my chest doe.

50/50. I'm probably going to keep an eye on the weather. Registered for Limestone on Sunday. I'm willing to drive to do the double (last chance of the year) but the logistics of cleaning a muddy bike and dealing with mechanicals is annoying. Plus I think I'm sucking at the logistics of cold weather gear for two days in a row...

I'm probably going to keep an eye on the weather.
High: 35°, Low: 22° in Emmaus on Saturday. 26° at 9 AM for the 4/5 race. Ouch! :eek:

I look forward to the race reports, I'll be watching The Grand Tour while on the trainer.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to be there. Right now it feels like there is an elephant sitting on my chest doe.
Prolly worse if starts moving around.....

50/50. I'm probably going to keep an eye on the weather. Registered for Limestone on Sunday. I'm willing to drive to do the double (last chance of the year) but the logistics of cleaning a muddy bike and dealing with mechanicals is annoying. Plus I think I'm sucking at the logistics of cold weather gear for two days in a row...
Yeah, clothing choices in the cold get a little dicey this time of year. Start off cold, but not too cold... it's a delicate balance between staying cold and overheating...

High: 35°, Low: 22° in Emmaus on Saturday. 26° at 9 AM for the 4/5 race. Ouch! :eek:

I look forward to the race reports, I'll be watching a The Grand Tour while on the trainer.

OOOOfffffff... Didn't even look at the weather yet.

I think I'm leaning towards Sunday. But there is a chance I do both.

I look forward to the race reports, I'll be watching The Grand Tour while on the trainer.
I thought cross racers hope for the absolute worst conditions? Channel your inner Belgian!
1618601195.jpg

What's funny is that's semi-ideal. I can deal (sort of) with the shitty cold and since it won't get above freezing for my race I probably won't have to deal with mud. Therefore I'm more likely to sign up.

After Sunday I can wash the bike and start riding the fat bike. And then the fun of getting anal when I have the free time over the winter to tear the cross bike apart to clean it up.

Sigh. I'm reg'd for Limestone. Would like to do the double. I heart Solstice. Actually sponsored the women's 1/2/3 payouts last year. It's a great course, and it looks like they've got some real food happening on the infield this year, BUT I'm prolly gonna miss it. Too much other crap going on, and saving up my "but the season's almost over" chips for the weekend following in CT.

For those of you who have done Solstice in the past- is the course really closed all day for pre-rides? From Bikereg:

---
Warming up on course: There is no warming up on course once racing starts. if you warm up on the course, you will be immediately DQ'd. However, the course will be open for inspection and warm-up at approximately 8:00 a.m., and will close to warm ups at 8:30 a.m.

---
My race is at 1:30- so yeah, don't think I'll be there at 8.

I find this hard to believe. Thanks!

is the course really closed all day for pre-rides?
That's just some confusing boiler-plate.
You should be able to get a lap in at the end of the earlier races. Just be sure to get on course on the far side of the start/finish line, where everyone else will be champing at the bit to do exactly what you're trying to do. Once you're out there, be sure not to pass anyone still racing and keep half an ear out for the announcer telling everyone to clear the course for the next race.
Have fun!

That's just some confusing boiler-plate.
You should be able to get a lap in at the end of the earlier races. Just be sure to get on course on the far side of the start/finish line, where everyone else will be champing at the bit to do exactly what you're trying to do. Once you're out there, be sure not to pass anyone still racing and keep half an ear out for the announcer telling everyone to clear the course for the next race.
Have fun!

Cool, thanks Sean!

I'd been entertaining thoughts of hitting one or the other of these last PA races, but we have a Christmas party Saturday that effectively makes both events problematic.

After my horrendous ride at Westwood this past Sunday, I'd like an opportunity to regain some mojo, but I doubt I'll make it to either race.

I capped off 2 weeks of a really bad flu with a shot of "eff it, I'm racing anyway." Made it to Limestone in time to get a few laps before the Cat 4/5 race at 8:00. Could hardly breathe but I was going to do my best to enjoy getting crushed in a training race to begin the very late season ramp-up to Nationals.Watched @Santapez race from the heated comfort of the minivan.

Then a very bad thing happened. All of a sudden there was commotion and frantic calls for a medic and folks in spandex desperately trying to save a life. I don't know the details and there was a lot of misinformation floating around even among those of us who were there but here's the facebook post from Guy's Racing some factual information:

https://www.facebook.com/WhirlybirdCross/posts/1190581411039648

It was not a day for racing so the M35/45/55/65 classes completed a solemn and silent walking pace procession around the course. There was much hugging and reflection about life in general. I do not know Frank but I am hoping with everything I have that he pulls through.

Last edited:
I saw Stacy at Hb yesterday and she told me about what happened. Saw the FB post later on. Hoping he's ok.

Ok.. so Solstice Cross - Men's 35+

11th of 11. :dead:

Somehow points wise it wasn't a disaster. Six Cat 2's and five Cat 3's. I didn't like the course. It wasn't the course, it was me.

@Harry Hamilton did much better in his 55+ race. 4th of 20 I think? :thumbsup:

Dan, why do you do this category? If I was old enough and was forced into being a Cat 2, I would sadly do this and get my face smashed in... but if you are a 3, why not just do the 3 race? Is it a time thing?

Back
Top Bottom