Can I get a freakin race report?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, it was a time slot thing. The Masters 35+, 55+, and 65+ were all at 10am, and the 3/4 race was at 1:30pm. Same thing with this coming weekend at Elm City in New Haven CT. It's a 2 hour drive each way, and the Masters 40+, 50+, and 60+ are all at 10:45am, while the 3/4 is right at noon. This late in the season, after 14 races, the time away from home is taking a toll, and I want to minimize that as much as possible now, so I can do more stuff later. Regardless of the race time, I'm getting up and out of the house early, so really just spending less time at the venue. Next year I will evaluate B's vs Masters partly based on time slot, and also to try to line up with Harry, since it's always easier to drive to/from with a teammate who lives less than half a mile away.

Pokgirl

Spork
Some random thoughts about today's awesomeness at Elm City, New Haven, CT.

They had 6" yesterday, but when I arrived, I was surprised to see the juniors whipping around the course quite quickly. There was a nice mud line forming in the center. This course is pretty flat with one long climb, ride along the street, and one long downhill. Happy to see both the up and down were ride-able.

So, conditions changed considerably since my preride. The mud had turned into split pea bogs (thanks Masters and 3/4's). The fog off the snow was spooky, and at times, couldn't see the track in front of you. The first 1.5 laps I'd be la, la, la pedaling, and in some deeper mud/slush bog my wheel would just go sideways and slide under the tape. Five times this happened, and I couldn't tell you what caused it. Lost 3 places with this silliness. And I don't know what I changed either, but somehow got that under control. I got the hang of where to pedal and where to be careful, and made 3 spots back again (thought it was 4 but I think one was a P123 lady). So basically finished where I started off the line.

Super fun - I am so pleased because I didn't stress about it and had fun, or is it because the season is officially over for me? With the mud and the hill, I got to put down some watts today, didn't feel frustrated or boxed in, passing went smoothly (really my only goal for this season), felt pretty great, and I'm completely satisfied. Yay cross! Also got accused by Hubs of being a roadie - falling all over the place, then making a good gap on the road. Ouch!

Last edited:

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Elm City CX - slip sliding away...

Early up, driving carefully through the fog of a rapidly warming day. Didn't see sunlight til CT, many coffees dranken.
Saw pics from March Farms CX, the Saturday of what was going to be a weekend double header. Heard rumors that folks just ran the whole thing. Not too sorry I missed it. Running is verboten for the time being: thanks sacrum! (And thanks years of ignoring the pain, hoping it would just go away.)
Scored one of the last legit-ish spots in the tiny main lot. Yes, it was a handicapped spot. Have I mentioned my sacrum? Dressed in the van and got out for a sightseeing lap at 8. First race was scheduled for 8:30, so no pressure. Or rather too much. Even at 28 front, 30 rear, my PDXs were all over the place. The snow was still pretty coherent, but rapidly switching colors. What can brown do for you? On speedy singletrack, a major up and a rollickin' down, plus a field pretty much made of short flick-up turns, brown can make your day fun. Provided you have the right tire. Finally, something went right this season. I skidded back to the car and switched to the Clement BOS shod wheelset. These are new from Clement. They're tractor tires. Unlike the PDX, they don't do other thinks well. They do mud well. Jumped back out for a quick roll through the initial stuff I'd reconnoitered, and BAM, hooked up. Felt solid. Happily waved off as the first race lined up, I went back and warmed up.
Spent a goodly amount of time debating clothing choices. It was a consternating morning. Kept getting warm, then cold, foggy, then clear... Plus I'd gone a bit hard in my rain kit and gotten, um, moist. Note, don't do that. Finally settled on a sh*t-ton of embro, leg warmers, LS regular skinsuit and visor cap. The radar had rain coming, so I threw a light thermal shirt under, just in case. Remembered I hadn't done the pre-ride with my glasses and hoped I wouldn't have any fogging issues.
Got another 1/2 lap in, punching it a coupla times. Was hitting the rim a bit too much for comfort, so notched the air up to 28 front, 30 rear. When you're 210, those are legit numbers. At this point, the snow had given up. We were in mud-land. Not a soft mud, either. This was black grit. Brake pad killer. And for all the grit, super-slid-y. It may have been that most of the corners were TIGHT, but if you pushed, or hit 'em too hard, you were gift wrapped in yellow instanter. Takeaway from the second pre-ride? I love this effing tire.
The race was getting a lil behind schedule, so there was some riding around, second-guessing clothing choices. Hung out in the Rec Center with @MadisonDan for a while, being warm and stretching a bit. Then down to it!
All the old guys went together: 40+, 2 minutes, 50+, 1 minute, 60+. I went 50+. At the whistle, we had about 100 yards to question our life choices before the first 180 left. This was the widest corner on the course, and even THIS one was tight. The cement to mud transition wasn't bad, and despite setting myself up for the inside corner, I got through ok. Yay old people! Then it was chicany mud for a while, a skate-park ramp (whee!), barriers (boo!), single track, more chicany mud, long straight-away with a deceptive looking opportunity for passing that was really a big pit (extra boo!) and then a loooooong and wonderful uphill. Brow of the hill was 500 yards of lovely wide super-passable stuff that worked well if you could forget how hard you worked on the hill. It was a great place to ditch folks who'd gone too deep. A tight through the trees whip-it kept things honest up there. Deceptively tricky, that. And then a bonkers down hill that spilled out onto the road for a moment before handing out a bit more single track and more field. Don't rinse. Do repeat.
My group was Marty Jones from EC Devo, @Harry Hamilton, two Horst guys (one, Paul, was super-cool, during and after) with guest appearances, coming and going. Marty was a target for me, as he routinely kicks my ass. I wanted to be near him. Period. The initial scrum settled down early. No one was flying away. The turns were too tight, and the mud made those kinds of efforts so obvious that responding to them was pretty easy. I tried an early pass, but the not-Paul Horst guy saw it and moved into the lane in front of me. I mentioned that that was "very New England of him". Not kidding. They are there to beat you. He smiled and I was happy his kit was carrot colored.
Was right on Marty as he tried to bunny the barriers and exploded. Silly Marty :) Post hill, Harry screamed out that his glasses were fogging. I told him to aim for the brown line.
The conditions were weird for glasses. Warm patches on the field that got the glasses fogged, followed by cold, then warm again. And we were never going fast enough clear out the moisture. Which meant it was tough to see. But if you toss 'em, here's mud in your eye. I finally diced to toss and whipped 'em toward Bill Elliston, who sold them. For a brief moment, it was a great choice. And then I spent every other minute blinking like Herbert Lom in A Shot in the Dark. Dagnabit.
Power is way better today than StuporCross. And the grinding noises arent' getting to me mentally. Yeah, I'm tired, but when I dig, there's coal left in the hopper for the next time...
I was blinking my way toward the back end of 10th (Matt from Cyclesmaht). He and another guy got around a Kissena rider on a flat. I was sooo close to making up that gap. I got excited and passed on Kissena's inside just before a lil hill. Remember that thing about hitting em too hard? Yup. Overcooked it and went down, right in front of Kissena. He rode up my back and we played pieces parts for a while. Lost mebbe four places, Oh Hi Marty! Hi Harry!, apologized profusely for being That Guy and took off. Things that were also lost - my garmin and the name plate on my left shifter.
W/in two laps, by NOT riding like an asshole, I was closing back in on Marty. Penultimate lap, I started to push a bit. The downhill had been a safe-space for me. Gravity enjoys my company. We get along well. And my brakes were lovely. I'm excited. I'm pushing. We're down to a lap and a half and I am GOING to catch Marty. I know how to go downhill. OK, yeah, there's someone else there, but I can get around him. He pulls slightly out of my way. Nice! but my line wasn't. I ended up too wide, out in the thin mud at the trail/road transition. Out goes the back end, save it, over correct, there goes the front and the next thing I know, I'm under the tape, having taken a pretty hard tap to the helmet. Up I get, quick check of the body parts, all good-ish, let some folks know I'm not broken and get ready to finish it out. But I can't get the bars straight. Wheel between the legs, mighty efforts, nothing happens. Fahk. Calm, breathe, breathe, try again. Nope. Locked solid.
Thanks for playing.
Riding back with bars akimbo, I take stock of what's not correct. Shoulder, both knees, no Garmin, one name plate gone, the other scotched. An expensive lesson, but a lesson nonetheless. Patience. When it's this weird and the difference between upright and uptight is this close, just... effing... wait... And hope Marty tries to ride the barriers again.
I got a chance to apologize again to the Kissena guy, Eloy, at the wash. Turns out he felt bad for crashing onto me. Funny how different things look in the moment. Still, it was my fault.
Spent the rest of the day hanging out with Bill and Cassie over by the skate ramp, hassling Dan Larino's son, eating the volunteer's food at the Rec Ctr and kicking at mud for my Garmin. No luck. Karma. Highlight: Friefelder flips his glasses to me at the barrier, I catch them one handed like I'd been training for that moment my whole life. Sold them.
I heartily recommend this race to anyone who enjoys riding bicycles. Even if the conditions are not, as yesterday, PERFECT, it's a lovely lil jernt, and this late into the season, a fantastic place to be.
Big shout-outs to @MadisonDan, @Pokgirl, Dan Larino (who raced 1/2/3 AND SS, which he won), @Harry Hamilton and Christie Da Werld Champeen for a job well done.

Pokgirl

Spork
I second the recommendation on this race. Done it for all of its 3 years so far. Racing through the skate park, singletrack, and urban setting is always a blast! And the Laurel/Amity Bike Club is the bestest (after MTBNJ, of course)!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's a lot of words bro. Read them all. I heart this course. Quick recap of my race, since @seanrunnette laid out the course specifics so eloquently.

Elm City CX - Master's 40+
Read Sean's description, then watch this.

Was wearing my 45NRTH Fasterkats in an attempt to keep my feets warmish and dryish. Cleats are in slightly different spot, so I'll just go with that as a reason for my start. Mad Alchemy Madness (thanks @The Heckler ) kept bare legs warm as a side note :). I too was second guessing this right until the whistle. Anyway. Badish start, got stuck behind dude in yellow, then closed gap up to a group of 5 or so in front, yo-yo'd a bit for the next few laps. Caught and passed a few guys. On lap three, there was a bit of mud bog before crossing the pavement to the lone climb, and a Kissena guy goes down in front of me, I veer right to pass the carnage and...... OTB. Get up, bars sideways, take a few to get em straight (almost) remount and keep moving after watching several guys go by. I get about 30 yards to the pavement and they're still not straight. Pull far right to be out of the way, and make another adjustment, then hit the climb. From here I was a little more tentative for the next half lap, but pushed best I could for the last 2 1/2. 14th. Not DFL.
Crash video here.

@Harry Hamilton did great in his race. Was bummed to hear Sean DNF'd, but happy he's not broken. Tried to look for missing Garmin with him for a few minutes. Washed bikes, changed clothes, and drove home with legs a fire. Gotta admit, I like the embro afterglow.

Back is a bit sore this morning, prolly from the OTB.

Wood race there again.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Elm City CX - slip sliding away...

Early up, driving carefully through the fog of a rapidly warming day. Didn't see sunlight til CT, many coffees dranken.
Saw pics from March Farms CX, the Saturday of what was going to be a weekend double header. Heard rumors that folks just ran the whole thing. Not too sorry I missed it. Running is verboten for the time being: thanks sacrum! (And thanks years of ignoring the pain, hoping it would just go away.)
Scored one of the last legit-ish spots in the tiny main lot. Yes, it was a handicapped spot. Have I mentioned my sacrum? Dressed in the van and got out for a sightseeing lap at 8. First race was scheduled for 8:30, so no pressure. Or rather too much. Even at 28 front, 30 rear, my PDXs were all over the place. The snow was still pretty coherent, but rapidly switching colors. What can brown do for you? On speedy singletrack, a major up and a rollickin' down, plus a field pretty much made of short flick-up turns, brown can make your day fun. Provided you have the right tire. Finally, something went right this season. I skidded back to the car and switched to the Clement BOS shod wheelset. These are new from Clement. They're tractor tires. Unlike the PDX, they don't do other thinks well. They do mud well. Jumped back out for a quick roll through the initial stuff I'd reconnoitered, and BAM, hooked up. Felt solid. Happily waved off as the first race lined up, I went back and warmed up.
Spent a goodly amount of time debating clothing choices. It was a consternating morning. Kept getting warm, then cold, foggy, then clear... Plus I'd gone a bit hard in my rain kit and gotten, um, moist. Note, don't do that. Finally settled on a sh*t-ton of embro, leg warmers, LS regular skinsuit and visor cap. The radar had rain coming, so I threw a light thermal shirt under, just in case. Remembered I hadn't done the pre-ride with my glasses and hoped I wouldn't have any fogging issues.
Got another 1/2 lap in, punching it a coupla times. Was hitting the rim a bit too much for comfort, so notched the air up to 28 front, 30 rear. When you're 210, those are legit numbers. At this point, the snow had given up. We were in mud-land. Not a soft mud, either. This was black grit. Brake pad killer. And for all the grit, super-slid-y. It may have been that most of the corners were TIGHT, but if you pushed, or hit 'em too hard, you were gift wrapped in yellow instanter. Takeaway from the second pre-ride? I love this effing tire.
The race was getting a lil behind schedule, so there was some riding around, second-guessing clothing choices. Hung out in the Rec Center with @MadisonDan for a while, being warm and stretching a bit. Then down to it!
All the old guys went together: 40+, 2 minutes, 50+, 1 minute, 60+. I went 50+. At the whistle, we had about 100 yards to question our life choices before the first 180 left. This was the widest corner on the course, and even THIS one was tight. The cement to mud transition wasn't bad, and despite setting myself up for the inside corner, I got through ok. Yay old people! Then it was chicany mud for a while, a skate-park ramp (whee!), barriers (boo!), single track, more chicany mud, long straight-away with a deceptive looking opportunity for passing that was really a big pit (extra boo!) and then a loooooong and wonderful uphill. Brow of the hill was 500 yards of lovely wide super-passable stuff that worked well if you could forget how hard you worked on the hill. It was a great place to ditch folks who'd gone too deep. A tight through the trees whip-it kept things honest up there. Deceptively tricky, that. And then a bonkers down hill that spilled out onto the road for a moment before handing out a bit more single track and more field. Don't rinse. Do repeat.
My group was Marty Jones from EC Devo, @Harry Hamilton, two Horst guys (one, Paul, was super-cool, during and after) with guest appearances, coming and going. Marty was a target for me, as he routinely kicks my ass. I wanted to be near him. Period. The initial scrum settled down early. No one was flying away. The turns were too tight, and the mud made those kinds of efforts so obvious that responding to them was pretty easy. I tried an early pass, but the not-Paul Horst guy saw it and moved into the lane in front of me. I mentioned that that was "very New England of him". Not kidding. They are there to beat you. He smiled and I was happy his kit was carrot colored.
Was right on Marty as he tried to bunny the barriers and exploded. Silly Marty :) Post hill, Harry screamed out that his glasses were fogging. I told him to aim for the brown line.
The conditions were weird for glasses. Warm patches on the field that got the glasses fogged, followed by cold, then warm again. And we were never going fast enough clear out the moisture. Which meant it was tough to see. But if you toss 'em, here's mud in your eye. I finally diced to toss and whipped 'em toward Bill Elliston, who sold them. For a brief moment, it was a great choice. And then I spent every other minute blinking like Herbert Lom in A Shot in the Dark. Dagnabit.
Power is way better today than StuporCross. And the grinding noises arent' getting to me mentally. Yeah, I'm tired, but when I dig, there's coal left in the hopper for the next time...
I was blinking my way toward the back end of 10th (Matt from Cyclesmaht). He and another guy got around a Kissena rider on a flat. I was sooo close to making up that gap. I got excited and passed on Kissena's inside just before a lil hill. Remember that thing about hitting em too hard? Yup. Overcooked it and went down, right in front of Kissena. He rode up my back and we played pieces parts for a while. Lost mebbe four places, Oh Hi Marty! Hi Harry!, apologized profusely for being That Guy and took off. Things that were also lost - my garmin and the name plate on my left shifter.
W/in two laps, by NOT riding like an asshole, I was closing back in on Marty. Penultimate lap, I started to push a bit. The downhill had been a safe-space for me. Gravity enjoys my company. We get along well. And my brakes were lovely. I'm excited. I'm pushing. We're down to a lap and a half and I am GOING to catch Marty. I know how to go downhill. OK, yeah, there's someone else there, but I can get around him. He pulls slightly out of my way. Nice! but my line wasn't. I ended up too wide, out in the thin mud at the trail/road transition. Out goes the back end, save it, over correct, there goes the front and the next thing I know, I'm under the tape, having taken a pretty hard tap to the helmet. Up I get, quick check of the body parts, all good-ish, let some folks know I'm not broken and get ready to finish it out. But I can't get the bars straight. Wheel between the legs, mighty efforts, nothing happens. Fahk. Calm, breathe, breathe, try again. Nope. Locked solid.
Thanks for playing.
Riding back with bars akimbo, I take stock of what's not correct. Shoulder, both knees, no Garmin, one name plate gone, the other scotched. An expensive lesson, but a lesson nonetheless. Patience. When it's this weird and the difference between upright and uptight is this close, just... effing... wait... And hope Marty tries to ride the barriers again.
I got a chance to apologize again to the Kissena guy, Eloy, at the wash. Turns out he felt bad for crashing onto me. Funny how different things look in the moment. Still, it was my fault.
Spent the rest of the day hanging out with Bill and Cassie over by the skate ramp, hassling Dan Larino's son, eating the volunteer's food at the Rec Ctr and kicking at mud for my Garmin. No luck. Karma. Highlight: Friefelder flips his glasses to me at the barrier, I catch them one handed like I'd been training for that moment my whole life. Sold them.
I heartily recommend this race to anyone who enjoys riding bicycles. Even if the conditions are not, as yesterday, PERFECT, it's a lovely lil jernt, and this late into the season, a fantastic place to be.
Big shout-outs to @MadisonDan, @Pokgirl, Dan Larino (who raced 1/2/3 AND SS, which he won), @Harry Hamilton and Christie Da Werld Champeen for a job well done.
THAT is how you recap a race. Beautiful.

http://www.adorama.com/iomwsabk.html?gclid=CMTvjqn9gNECFU1YDQodbn0IFg

hotsauce

OK, one last race for 2016. I did the Rainey Park Cyclocross A race yesterday in freezing cold windy conditions. It's great that cross is back in NYC, the race had a definite grassroots vibe and @keithgarrison did a great job pulling everything together last minute. Rainey Park is in Queens right along the East River, it's on the smaller side and doesn't have a ton of terrain variation except for a slope down towards the river. The course was laid out very well for what was available, a lot of tight turning and off cambers with a stair run up, 3 Belgian steps, a somewhat sketchy drop in.

The course was nice and dry in pre-ride but as the A women's race got on, the course really started to get slick and muddy in many corners. Not Supercross mud, but enough to stick to my Grifos and get some good sliding going in the corners. I pulled the last call up in the 2nd row in the Cat 1/2/3 field and lined up dead center. I felt out of place in the grid, no familiar faces from Cat 4/5 races earlier in the year.

When the whistle blew, I jumped well but couldn't get clipped in and faded a bit in the start chute back to 20th or so. Hitting the course with some muddy corners after pre-riding a dry course made the first lap a big unpredictable and many people were slipping, sliding, and falling over. Someone ran right through the course tape in the 4th or 5th corner, proof that no one is immune to mental derps. I picked up a few spots in the first half lap then came up to the barriers which were in the middle of an S turn and turned to soft mud during the women's race. I rounded the corner after the barriers and tried to plant my foot and get a good push off only to slip right out on the soft mud and destroy a nice new course stake. Whoops! I got up and then settled into a rhythm for the 9 lap race, yikes. I passed a few other riders along the way and, realizing I was on the slower side, grabbed a dollar bill handup on the Belgian stairs and simultaneously whacked my derailleur on the step. I'll add that $1 to my $150 derailleur fund...

In lap 7, I started to feel the leader, Roger Aspholm start pushing up against me. I was a bit bummed to get lapped but I knew the leaders in the race were no joke. I finished a lap down with 8 laps of racing in an a few seconds past the one hour mark. Damn that's a long race. Moving from 40 to 45 to 60 minutes is a big jump and definitely rewards consistency. My mind started to get fuzzy after 40 minutes and my turning wasn't as good as it should have been simply because it was hard to stay focused. Looking at the results post-race only 11 of the 28 riders didn't get lapped so I shouldn't feel so bad. I finished 16th and was lapped by the first 4 riders but finished better than my Crossresults predictor of 18th.

It was a fun day in Queens but the wind and cold was tough, maybe I'm soft but I can't wait for this race to move earlier in the year. Outside of the dollar bill nabbing, I enjoyed the "do it for Italy!" heckle I was getting since I was wearing Castelli head to toe. I drug my wife out to the race since it was local and she was nice enough to nab a few pictures, even with frozen fingers.

Lap times: 9:10, 7:02, 7:15, 7:14, 7:16, 7:28, 7:19, 7:24
Strava

Now onto 2017! I think I may start a blog thingie to lay out some goals I have for the year and track my training up to next cross season. I'm glad I found MTBNJ this year, hoping to seeing more people in real life and contribute a bit more going forward.

IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2544.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2543.JPG

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good write up Matt... Bummed to have missed it. If you're gonna get lapped, not a bad guy to get lapped by. Racing with 1s and 2s changes a lot!

Happy New Year

Top Bottom