Can I get a freakin race report?

Bump_sign.jpg

@fidodie I thought this was supposed to be the "anyone's race report cx-related" thread, but I'm bad at forums and was waiting for someone else to go first because I don't have a blergh thread and also I don't want to be wrong.

i dunno - i was drinking.
my fantasy team made me do it.

• First cross race this season at Town Hall. Woooo!
  • First time building and gluing wheels and I didn't die today. Success!
  • I wasn't last. 59th of ~100. Success!
  • Trying to run from @Santapez was fun. He finally caught me on lap 4. Having to walk the steep section of the hill eventually caught up to me, not to mention my pathetic barrier skills. After the pass at the barriers, I was being blocked by some guy that would change his lines a few times a turn. I eventually blew by him along with Steve and a few other guys on gradual climb beginning our last lap and tried to stay on it. One last, brisk walk up the steep hill and I tried to keep on the gas to stay ahead. Some Strava segments showed that my last lap may have been my fastest.
  • The hill didn't get longer every lap. @seanrunnette lied and doesn't understand science. I did only ride it once for my pre-ride, after which I died and walked the steep crest every lap thereafter.
  • Saw @The Heckler for a minute or two while he was professionally pinning @Mrs. The Heckler for the 5k. How did she do?
Joy took some cool pics.
IMG_20170923_092351967.jpg

Hit the food truck with @Santapez and @MissJR and watched a couple more races.

Mr @ChrisG
IMG_0480.jpg

Mr. Other Chris (Forgot his username)
IMG_0471.jpg

• First cross race this season at Town Hall. Woooo!
  • First time building and gluing wheels and I didn't die today. Success!
  • I wasn't last. 59th of ~100. Success!
  • Trying to run from @Santapez was fun. He finally caught me on lap 4. Having to walk the steep section of the hill eventually caught up to me, not to mention my pathetic barrier skills. After the pass at the barriers, I was being blocked by some guy that would change his lines a few times a turn. I eventually blew by him along with Steve and a few other guys on gradual climb beginning our last lap and tried to stay on it. One last, brisk walk up the steep hill and I tried to keep on the gas to stay ahead. Some Strava segments showed that my last lap may have been my fastest.
  • The hill didn't get longer every lap. @seanrunnette lied and doesn't understand science. I did only ride it once for my pre-ride, after which I died and walked the steep crest every lap thereafter.
  • Saw @The Heckler for a minute or two while he was professionally pinning @Mrs. The Heckler for the 5k. How did she do?
Joy took some cool pics.
View attachment 57578

Hit the food truck with @Santapez and @MissJR and watched a couple more races.

Mr @ChrisG
View attachment 57580

Mr. Other Chris (Forgot his username)
View attachment 57579
Moe finished 2nd of the 3 ladies!

Okay - now that other people have reported, I feel significantly less awkward reporting also. THX YO. @Mountain Bike Mike @1sh0t1b33r @pearl

Nittany Lion Cross - Day 1
Big day for your boy: first race on a team, first time at Nittany, first time in a field > 50 people, first time racing without my security blanket there (girlfriend). This sounds like an ass-backward "first day of kindergarten" for an adult. I decided to try to make a crazy Instagram story to distract myself from my nerves.

Leave the house at 5:45am after taking selfies with the moon, eat some yogurt and a cranberry muffin in the car while listening to Lil'Yachty, pull up around 7:10ish. Note to self: return to watch races at the velodrome. I've never seen track events in person and my great uncle dabbled back in the day, so I think it would be cool to check that out/channel him a little bit in that way. Walk over to reg, see two teammates (Jon and Ben) and chat, and then head back to the car to pin/dress. Team preride at 7:45, and got two laps in. This is the first time I've actually gotten more than 1/3 of a lap of preriding in ever because I never had any idea as to what I was doing. The structure of the team environment is really good for me in this way (and in countless others). I notice my rear derailleur is shifting kind of funny, like it's slipping when I try to shift in certain parts of the cassette. I use the potty, try to troubleshoot it but can't quite figure it out, and then do a brief out-and-back on the road to keep my legs warm. Again, warming up was something I had never really done before, and there was definitely a difference.

Now comes the excitement...staging. Reg'd somewhere in the 40s, get called and pedal into the grid only to find my bike is now failing to shift. Paddle clicks totally freely and cycles allllllll the way through. Seems like there's cable tension? Derailleur. Won't. Move. Trying really hard to not panic, I back the cable anchor alllllllllll the way out until I get close to the middle of the cassette. Go down to the small ring in front and VOILASINGLESPEED™. Staged right next to another teammate (Chris) with most of the guys in the next two rows deep. Whistle blows and Chris gets shot out of a cannon; I try to follow, but VOILASINGLESPEED™ and I just do what I can. I live that VOILASINGLESPEED™ lyfe until the end of the second lap, where my dumb oxygen-deprived brain realized that SRAM Neutral Race Support was there.

"Not shifting. Rear. Just clicks."
"Okay, hang on man, let me take a look...maybe the cable is broken or snagged in there?"
*panting and shugging*
"Okay, well...wanna ride a bike?"
"Oh. Hell. Yes."

And that's how I wound up on a $4k Canyon with some weird-ass geometry. I now deem the ability to shift to be a blessing purely of the kindness of the Norse gods (thank Odin) and tear out of the pit. Apparently this is the bike that SRAM-homie rides when he does events, so it even had SPDs already on it. I put the hammer down and manage to make up some spots. About 3/4 of the way through the 4th lap, I see a dude wearing Richard Sachs socks and a Stan's Veloclassic kit.....I THINK I KNOW THIS DUDE. TL;DR is that a friend of mine/surfing buddy from high school is a mutual friend/surfing buddy of this dude (Jay), who also happens to be Brittlee Bowman's boyfriend (hence the SachsSox and matching red kit). We have a funny convo at 185 bpm p/b serendipity and wind up finishing within a few spots of each other. I immediately come over the line, head to the drainage ditch, and vom. Hello again, dried cranberries from the muffin! Once I feel semi-normal, I get a photo op with mutual friend dude (Jay) and hang out with the rest of the Jalapenos at the Von Hof tent to cheer on our teammate (Geneiveve) in the Womens 4/5 race. Saw @jShort and @The Heckler, took a matchy matchy sock photo. Also said the hellos to @Harry Hamilton . Talked some other teammates (Ben and Tun) into making a pit stop in Easton at Sole Bar&Bottle for short pours and crowlers on the way back to our respective homes. Beer <333

74/114. I'm really proud of the way that I didn't totally melt down, and salvaged a result. Growth points for ya boi. Bonus points for a chardonnay handup (classy) and a half of a dollar bill handup (I pulled too hard and ripped it - asked for the other half on the next lap but it was gone? WHO PURPOSELY TAKES A HALF DOLLAR?)

In the grid with Chris:
IMG_5235.JPG

Suitcasing a bike that's probably worth as much as my car:
IMG_5293.JPG

Surfer Dude Jay looks like a Surfer Dude even at a cross race:
20170916_095642.jpg

Chillin' in the tent with Big Man Ben and Genevieve:
IMG_8273.jpg

p.s. Here is why my bike wouldn't shift:
20170919_205301.jpg

Race report for Bridgeton being drafted right now!

What's up with the fancy new bike!? I hope it doesn't shift on Saturday so we can be on equal terms.

Okay - now that other people have reported, I feel significantly less awkward reporting also. THX YO. @Mountain Bike Mike @1sh0t1b33r @pearl

Nittany Lion Cross - Day 1
Big day for your boy: first race on a team, first time at Nittany, first time in a field > 50 people, first time racing without my security blanket there (girlfriend). This sounds like an ass-backward "first day of kindergarten" for an adult. I decided to try to make a crazy Instagram story to distract myself from my nerves.

Leave the house at 5:45am after taking selfies with the moon, eat some yogurt and a cranberry muffin in the car while listening to Lil'Yachty, pull up around 7:10ish. Note to self: return to watch races at the velodrome. I've never seen track events in person and my great uncle dabbled back in the day, so I think it would be cool to check that out/channel him a little bit in that way. Walk over to reg, see two teammates (Jon and Ben) and chat, and then head back to the car to pin/dress. Team preride at 7:45, and got two laps in. This is the first time I've actually gotten more than 1/3 of a lap of preriding in ever because I never had any idea as to what I was doing. The structure of the team environment is really good for me in this way (and in countless others). I notice my rear derailleur is shifting kind of funny, like it's slipping when I try to shift in certain parts of the cassette. I use the potty, try to troubleshoot it but can't quite figure it out, and then do a brief out-and-back on the road to keep my legs warm. Again, warming up was something I had never really done before, and there was definitely a difference.

Now comes the excitement...staging. Reg'd somewhere in the 40s, get called and pedal into the grid only to find my bike is now failing to shift. Paddle clicks totally freely and cycles allllllll the way through. Seems like there's cable tension? Derailleur. Won't. Move. Trying really hard to not panic, I back the cable anchor alllllllllll the way out until I get close to the middle of the cassette. Go down to the small ring in front and VOILASINGLESPEED™. Staged right next to another teammate (Chris) with most of the guys in the next two rows deep. Whistle blows and Chris gets shot out of a cannon; I try to follow, but VOILASINGLESPEED™ and I just do what I can. I live that VOILASINGLESPEED™ lyfe until the end of the second lap, where my dumb oxygen-deprived brain realized that SRAM Neutral Race Support was there.

"Not shifting. Rear. Just clicks."
"Okay, hang on man, let me take a look...maybe the cable is broken or snagged in there?"
*panting and shugging*
"Okay, well...wanna ride a bike?"
"Oh. Hell. Yes."

And that's how I wound up on a $4k Canyon with some weird-ass geometry. I now deem the ability to shift to be a blessing purely of the kindness of the Norse gods (thank Odin) and tear out of the pit. Apparently this is the bike that SRAM-homie rides when he does events, so it even had SPDs already on it. I put the hammer down and manage to make up some spots. About 3/4 of the way through the 4th lap, I see a dude wearing Richard Sachs socks and a Stan's Veloclassic kit.....I THINK I KNOW THIS DUDE. TL;DR is that a friend of mine/surfing buddy from high school is a mutual friend/surfing buddy of this dude (Jay), who also happens to be Brittlee Bowman's boyfriend (hence the SachsSox and matching red kit). We have a funny convo at 185 bpm p/b serendipity and wind up finishing within a few spots of each other. I immediately come over the line, head to the drainage ditch, and vom. Hello again, dried cranberries from the muffin! Once I feel semi-normal, I get a photo op with mutual friend dude (Jay) and hang out with the rest of the Jalapenos at the Von Hof tent to cheer on our teammate (Geneiveve) in the Womens 4/5 race. Saw @jShort and @The Heckler, took a matchy matchy sock photo. Also said the hellos to @Harry Hamilton . Talked some other teammates (Ben and Tun) into making a pit stop in Easton at Sole Bar&Bottle for short pours and crowlers on the way back to our respective homes. Beer <333

74/114. I'm really proud of the way that I didn't totally melt down, and salvaged a result. Growth points for ya boi. Bonus points for a chardonnay handup (classy) and a half of a dollar bill handup (I pulled too hard and ripped it - asked for the other half on the next lap but it was gone? WHO PURPOSELY TAKES A HALF DOLLAR?)

In the grid with Chris:
View attachment 57695

Suitcasing a bike that's probably worth as much as my car:
View attachment 57690

Surfer Dude Jay looks like a Surfer Dude even at a cross race:
View attachment 57691

Chillin' in the tent with Big Man Ben and Genevieve:
View attachment 57693

p.s. Here is why my bike wouldn't shift:
View attachment 57692

Race report for Bridgeton being drafted right now!
THOSE CANYON'S ARE SO GROSS.

saw them at the pit and actually Vom'd.

Good to see you and way to stay at it!

Back
Top Bottom