Campmor H2H Ringwood Race

i'm not saying what should or should not happen. i suggest you take that up with those responsible for that information.

I tried that a few posts ago. The flames were so intense my Nomex suit was destroyed. :D

( personally I am in favor of eletronic scoring for amature racing)
also not for nothing but if you are an expert or veteran sport racer you should have the system down by now. Experts must have a licence and can't use a one day (technically). seasoned sports have been doing this long enough to get it figured out.
Thats just my .02$

I'm also in favor of electronic scoring - see my earlier post on this. I've already been talking with a database expert about developing a schema for my proposed programming project (which I STILL make no promises about).

I haven't had an annual license in years. I normally don't do enough races to make it worth while. Right now I'm not competitive enough to worry about my season standings, either. But I'm planning on getting on next year. I'm also planning on kicking ass and taking names next year, too. One of those has a better probability of actually happening.

Biz

There are several database-driven race timing and scoring software packages already available, but an open-source one would certainly be nice (especially one that works in Mac OS X!). In the future, expect more races to make race-day registration more expensive in an effort to push people to pre-register. Pre-registration makes things a million times easier for the race staff, and makes for far quicker race-day number pick-up for everyone. As for using the data from bikereg for the results, I absolutely did do that with our Highbridge race results, and it saved a lot of time to use that pre-registration data. No way on earth would I re-type that info if I already had it in tab-delimited form!

As far as manually entering license numbers into the results for those who didn't pre-reg, most promoters I know *do* do that when preparing the results. Heck, USA Cycling requires it. If you've found that the promoter has left off your license number in error, e-mail them and ask them to correct it. That is definitely your right as a racer.

There are several database-driven race timing and scoring software packages already available, but an open-source one would certainly be nice (especially one that works in Mac OS X!). In the future, expect more races to make race-day registration more expensive in an effort to push people to pre-register. Pre-registration makes things a million times easier for the race staff, and makes for far quicker race-day number pick-up for everyone. As for using the data from bikereg for the results, I absolutely did do that with our Highbridge race results, and it saved a lot of time to use that pre-registration data. No way on earth would I re-type that info if I already had it in tab-delimited form!

As far as manually entering license numbers into the results for those who didn't pre-reg, most promoters I know *do* do that when preparing the results. Heck, USA Cycling requires it. If you've found that the promoter has left off your license number in error, e-mail them and ask them to correct it. That is definitely your right as a racer.

Thanks for the first-hand information. Don't worry - I would be programming it for Linux using all standards-compliant APIs (POSIX, etc.), so it should compile and run on OS X, if I were to do it.

One last note from the Ringwood race -- be on the lookout for photos from Inner Mountain. I got my thumbnails today. Awesome.

I was at the Augusta Cyclcross race last weekend, and they posted the results 10-15 minutes after the first race was over. And the results were printed up nicely by a computer. As soon as I handed in my registration form, a guy typed all my information into a laptop immediately. I don't know what software they were using, but there's definitely stuff out there.

Moral of this story: there's no excuse for delays posting results either at the race, or online

It's been quite sometime since I offered to help out at next year's race, but no one has contacted me since I offered my help. My offer is now off the table. I guess people like to complain more than fix the problem. I may have complained, but at least I also offered to be part of the solution.

TTFN,

Biz

Back
Top Bottom