Bike Rack and License Plate Visibility

HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THIS SHIT I FOUND TODAY.

View attachment 83085

There is a real chance that this meets the federal lighting requirements except for one thing. It looks like the license plate lighting has to be on when the headlamps or parking lamps are activated. Leaving the flashlight on all the time satisfies that at the expense of AAA battery life

- just read 40 CFR 571.108 "Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment" and the equivalent Canadian technical standard 108
- yes, I am that boring

Breaking laws...

2CF03533-90E8-4CE4-A2F4-58EB5A78C0FC.jpeg

Having the poster on your cubical wall is boring.

Boring is awesome! Any mention of incidence angle for the plate light on your poster?

A hitch rack with a bolt-on anti-rattle feature is as "attached" to the car as the OE license plate frame/bracket/plastic anchors. So, we all need two extra license plates, one for when loaded with bikes and one when the rack is tilted up. We also need lights on both those positions or at least flashlights taped in place.

Boring is awesome! Any mention of incidence angle for the plate light on your poster?

No mention of angle on the poster. We did just have a customer get a ticket in TX for obscured plate. Truck rolling down the road with explosives placards will draw attention. Only thing he found was obscured state name on plate.

plate01.jpeg

And the fix.
plate02.jpg

Ok, so let me explain a bit.

After watching this a few times, one of the things I noticed, and agree with. The license plate is partially blocked with a plate frame..

This had me thinking, what can I do legally. My plate is completely blocked from rear view.

Oh and "she" got what she deserved. UGH!

Ok, so let me explain a bit.

After watching this a few times, one of the things I noticed, and agree with. The license plate is partially blocked with a plate frame..

This had me thinking, what can I do legally. My plate is completely blocked from rear view.

Oh and "she" got what she deserved. UGH!

Yes she did - this is the third time i've watched this - and i'm just amazed. it is sunday, monday morning, they register the car on-line, she gets a judge to release it monday afternoon, they pay the towing charge, and some "other" ticket. home monday night.

officer could have been more leading - as in, ask the driver for me to explain it to him again. but the 'tude.

You bastard! Ratting me out man.

I did get pulled over once in Jackson NJ in this rig...I was speeding and he wanted to auto read my plate and couldn't...let me go and said not much about changing it.

I drive around like this all the time, lots of multi state trips too....only had that one cop in many years.

Just wanted to add another one to the "ticketed" count - Montclair (cash grab town). First time being stopped in 6 years of having a rack on in this state. He was on a side street facing the intersection I was driving through and immediately pulled out on the road with his lights on. Pretty good night vision considering at a 90 degree angle he "couldn't read my plate" but I can only guess he saw the rack with no bike and assumed it would be partially blocked. Funny thing is that I drove right past another Montclair police vehicle 10 minutes prior and never went for me. Officer said if I were carrying a bike then he wouldn't have even thought about pulling me over and said to take it off when not carrying a bike...Anyone selling a BSO I can permanently affix to my bike rack? :banana:

Back
Top Bottom