Bike Rack and License Plate Visibility

Why not use roof racks..
CDtd1vy.jpg

How about getting a trailer plate? Would that fly?

Would be nice if the state could issue a small plate like used on motorcycles, and affixed to the rack.

Just trying to avoid any reason to be pulled over.

No. Trailer has an axle touching the roadway as per the definition.

I was thinking about this thread this am. I'm not going to say this is a sure thing, but i'd bet this plate would help a lot!

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/lawenforcement.htm

We have them on all of are cars. Let's just say they have been helpful.

Not if it's obstructed!!

Actually they are teaching in advanced interdiction classes now that some of the bad guys are using these plates with the hope that the police will not bother them. So no guarantees.

I can't believe guys actually bother with this to begin with. What's the best case scenario with stopping a mountain biker? You find a little weed? Worst case scenario... you gotta talk to @pooriggy for a few minutes of your life.

actually one of our coaches has been pulled over twice (let's say northern Hunterdon)
so,
1. get a pair of extra plates,
2. mount one at the end of your rack for when the rack is down
3. mount one at the bottom of your rack for when the rack is up
4. keep a clean record
5. smile and nod when pulled over

I've gotten a few tickets for my bike rack/obstruction (in Hunterdon County). I will admit, they've been much cheaper than speeding tickets, which is the real reason I got pulled over ;-)

So would it be legal to fit the plate to the rack and have a light on it? If the rack is affixed to the vehicle and doesn't meet the definition of a trailer, which makes sense, then why isn't it considered to be part of the vehicle? Don't some jeeps or vehicles with a spare tire on the rear door have the plates on the spare? That isn't part of the vehicle but it's OEM.

I'm just curious. I have a pickup, bike goes in the back.

So would it be legal to fit the plate to the rack and have a light on it? If the rack is affixed to the vehicle and doesn't meet the definition of a trailer, which makes sense, then why isn't it considered to be part of the vehicle? Don't some jeeps or vehicles with a spare tire on the rear door have the plates on the spare? That isn't part of the vehicle but it's OEM.

I'm just curious. I have a pickup, bike goes in the back.

I think this is splitting hairs. It's not legal but it's damn close enough.

Back
Top Bottom