Belgian beer shootout thread

Request for Jeremy. Can you post pics of the labels so that I'll try to form some sort of label-brain correlation?

Then at the end post the labels for the top 4?

Norm.. Sure can do., I actually did this on already for these first two., Look at the second post.

The first weeks results are in and La Chouffe took it 4 – 2.

Kind of a weak turnout…I think there may be some stragglers and I will edit this post to correctly reflect the opinion of the people!

Now, for this week’s contestants..
We are going to sample some Tripels… They are called “Tripels” because the brewers use 3 times the malt. These may have some similarities form the first two beers we tried, including the spices and other typical Belgian flavors. Tripels are usually pretty high ABV but are brewed so well that you don’t notice. So be careful and sip….

Here is a well-known Belgian sample:
Tripel Karmeliet
8369777031_71e05d718e_m.jpg

And the domestic (and very local) interpretation:
River Horse Tripel Horse
8370842384_f3c834bb4b_m.jpg

I could only find the larger 750ml bottle and it looks a bit different then the smaller bottle in The picture above.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357920891.021944.jpg

I think that's all we will find around here. I was rushing...my bad

Even looking it up online most photos are the smaller 330ml bottle. I stumbled across the green bottle looking for la Chouffe.

I have t had a chance to try verboten recently so my vote is still up. Monday Ill be at a dr appointment by my old place in Hightstown and stock up at the beer store that doesn't care if u break a sixer. All the shops in monmouth county have a horrible single bottle selection.

I preferred the Karmeliet.

More diverse flavor profile, maltier...caught more spiciness. Great beer, I'd gladly purchase again.

River Horse was sweeter, less foamy but indistinct. For American Tripels, I prefer Weyerbacher Merry Monks.

Last edited:
Karmeliet v River Horse

Keeping with my Asian-Belgian fusion theme,
we tried these with Thai food tonight.
Karmeliet is the hands-down winner.
That's not to say River Horse was a total dog, but Karmeliet was just superior.
Jeremy, thanks for the introduction- it is currently my favorite Belgian.
Lot of depth, good balance and character.
If this were a bracket set up, it would go to the final 4 for sure.

The River horse was good, and I don't regret getting a six pack of it, it just didn't have the depth that Karmeliet had.
In the RH, the alcohol was pretty prominent, not surprising for 10%,
but there you have it.
Also, I come with a pretty strong bias against RH.
A lot of what they brew has been described as a mouthful of weird,
and I have to say that is consistent with my experiences,
but I enjoyed this offering.

Karmeliet wins this one. Great taste, although it finished a little sweet.The yeast spiciness was noticeable but not overpowering. I love the tiny bubbles and the nice white foamy head. Good lacing after a few sips too. The first thing I noticed about this was the smell. It almost had a Heineken smell to it but the taste was no where near there. Great overall beer.

I preferred the Karmeliet.

enjoying Karmeliet right now,

Keeping with my Asian-Belgian fusion theme,
we tried these with Thai food tonight.
Karmeliet is the hands-down winner.

Karmeliet wins this one. .

Looks like a sweep for the Karmeliet. I had never had this either, but really enjoyed it. Agreed with Bill in that it was a little sweet at the end, but still enjoyable. The typical Belgian flavors were all there.
The river Horse was MEH. I wont be picking that up again. It started with potential but ended with too much ABV. It was so strong, the flavors never had a chance. I was actually pretty happy to find out my brother in law drank 3 of them when Him and my SIL babysat. Less for me to drink. :D

I think a better choice would have been Victory Golden Monkey for the US interpretation.
And if anybody really enjoyed the Karmeliet, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of the White Chimay. Its actually more Yellow of a bottle. That stuff is on a whole nother level... !!!!!!

Next up is going to be the best yet. The Dark Ales.

Although the Allagash Black is listed in the opening thread as a stout, its really a Belgian Dark ale. It pours dark like a stout and the bottle even says its a stout, but its more of an ale. You can find this in a big bottle or a four pack. I recommend the four pack because your going to want all four....
8391289936_39cf4dcd5b_m.jpg

And the other one up is an all time great.. The Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)
Brewed by the Trapist Monks, this stuff is what I think of when I hear Belgian Ale.

8391290470_b8a4e64250_m.jpg

If you like strong, dark, tasty ales, this is the week to play. These beers are really top notch and world class. I love both and am really excited to hear other people's opinions.

The Chimay Blue is one of my all-time favs, just had some yesterday...

Hope I can find the Allagash.
If it's at all similiar to the Blue, it's a great ale.

Awesome, two beers I've heard great things about! Neither I've had before.

On a side note we've been living with my Inlaws until we find a house so I've had my father inlaw playing along. Before this he didn't know what a Belgian beer was. Now he's got a new section of the beer aisle to explore. He really enjoyed the Karmeliet, and has read all the bottles to verify tasting notes. I can't wait for the Saisons, I think he's really going to like them. He's also turning into a stout fan, I noticed a sixer of mothers milk in the fridge. I'm sure he'll enjoy this round of darker beers.

Im going to dinner tomorrow night with some friends, I may bring these as a party favor and see what the guys think.

Ive had the Blue, but not the Allagash. Though I like a lot of the other Allagash stuff.

The river Horse was MEH. I wont be picking that up again. It started with potential but ended with too much ABV. It was so strong, the flavors never had a chance. I was actually pretty happy to find out my brother in law drank 3 of them when Him and my SIL babysat. Less for me to drink.

Next up is going to be the best yet. The Dark Ales.

Although the Allagash Black is listed in the opening thread as a stout, its really a Belgian Dark ale. It pours dark like a stout and the bottle even says its a stout, but its more of an ale. You can find this in a big bottle or a four pack. I recommend the four pack because your going to want all four....
8391289936_39cf4dcd5b_m.jpg

And the other one up is an all time great.. The Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)
Brewed by the Trapist Monks, this stuff is what I think of when I hear Belgian Ale.

8391290470_b8a4e64250_m.jpg

If you like strong, dark, tasty ales, this is the week to play. These beers are really top notch and world class. I love both and am really excited to hear other people's opinions.
River Horse: Far superior to their "standard" Belgian is the "Belgian Freeze", which I believe is/was a limited seasonal offering. I was very impressed with this.

And I've had the Chimay Blue and the Allagash Black on multiple occasions, so I'll weigh in on this round. Good choices, Jeremy.

Back
Top Bottom