Belgian beer shootout thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, here it is. It's been a long time coming.

I know most of us are just barely past the holiday hangovers from our over-indulgences. But hey, its not like we're going to stop drinking beer or anything. And if for some absurd reason you resolved to call it quits, well, that's your problem. I dare you to follow along on this ride of awesomeness that is Belgian beers and not try some.

First things first... what makes a beer a "Belgian Beer".

Well, the most obvious reason is that is brewed in Belgium (duh). But as craft breweries have exploded in the US, many have taken advantage of the flavors and technique learned from those Belgian breweries. My (very unscientific) way to describe what make a beer a “Belgian style” is the yeast. I read a bunch of articles to try and give a better description of “Belgium” and found a good example. Drink a Stone IPA. Then drink a Stone Cali-Belgique. They are almost identical except the latter is brewed with a Belgian strain of yeast. (here is that complete article)

A old friend of mine who works at a local craft beer distributor gave me this brief explanation. (which i proudly state supports my butchered description)

What makes it a Belgian style? Well its pretty much the the yeast. The malt and hops too and overall recipe but the yeast kind of distinguishes it...some Belgian brews use German hops or malt but they always have their own yeast strain. When it comes to the Us Belgian styles they typically use the Belgian recipes as models and then put their own twist on it..particularly when it comes to things like Saison. A lot of these recipes were developed centuries ago so they are sort of deemed "Belgian" by tradition. does this make any sense? I am writing while drinking wine so its all off the top of my head.

So there you have it... you are now an expert on Belgian beer.... Lets drink!

For this thread I didn't want to to a typical shootout.
There are so many awesome styles of Belgian beer, I didn't want to waste a whole thread on just one. So instead I have a list of beers from both Belgium and the US that cover a wide range. From Ales to Stouts and a bunch in between. And while i’ll ask who likes which one better and we will eventually crown a winner, there won't be any losers. All of these beers are delicious... I promise. And who knows, maybe I can convince the powers that be to get a keg of the winner at the next MTBNJ event. Probably not though. Actually, there isnt a chance in hell of that happening.

I asked that same old friend of mine for a list of 12 beers. 6 from Belgium and 6 counterparts from the US. I asked her to make sure they would all be easily available so you shouldn't have any problems. But in case you do, go to http://greatbrewers.com, search for the beer, and click the “find this beer” icon. I feel obligated to tell you in advance, some of these beers aren't cheap. But hey... we all know the best things in life aren't cheap!!!!

In this thread we will sample the following beers....

Belgium
Saison/Farmhouse - Saison Dupont
Strong Dark Ale - Chimay Blue/Grand Reserve
Strong Pale Ale - La Chouffe
Tripel Ale - Tripel Karmeliet
Flemish Brown - Liefmans Goudenband
Belgian Amber - Bosteels Kwak

US
Wit - Allagash White
Belgian Pale Ale - Weyerbacher Verboten
Tripel Ale - River Horse Tripel Horse
Stout - Allagash Black or Weyerbacher TINY
Dubbel - Ommegang Abbey
Saison/Farmhouse - Lost Abbey Red Barn
OR Biere de Garde - Lost Abbey Avant Garde

I'll tally up the results And start a new round each Friday

Thanks for playing

So with that all out of the way, lets get this started with some good old Belgian Ales.

These are both favorites of mine and I love that I have an excuse to drink them side by side

The first is

La Chouffe
8344511342_8198df2cae_m.jpg

And a similar US brew,

Weyerbacher Verboten
8344511408_d0fbcfaf4c_m.jpg

Drink em by 1/11 and post up your thoughts!

this is timely I just finished the Ommegang variety 8 pack (contains 2 each of
Belgian Pale Ale, Three Philosophers, Hennepin, and Ommegang Abbey Ale) and had the Cali-Belique a few times over the summer. definitely wanna take part in this.

question: are the beers being paired in some apples-to-apples way (Belgian vs. American counterpart)?

have la chouffe in the fridge! will shop weyer tomorrow.

can we get a fantasy draught going? :popcorn:

will this be a double elim bracket? 2 matches per week?

Ok, not that this should be open for discussion or you will have a million and one "add this beer" and "why don't don't you do that beer"... that being said, you have to add Green Flash Brewing Co's Rayon Vert to the list... you absolutely have to - trust me!

question: are the beers being paired in some apples-to-apples way (Belgian vs. American counterpart)?

Actually, Yes and No. That was the plan originally, but it would call for me to pick 12 of the same exact style and I didn’t want to do that.
So the first round well be pretty much the Belgian Vs. the American interpretation, but in the second and third round it could be an Ale Vs. a Stout. That’s why there are no real winners or losers here…. You know.. Kid Style .

Ok, not that this should be open for discussion or you will have a million and one "add this beer" and "why don't don't you do that beer"... that being said, you have to add Green Flash Brewing Co's Rayon Vert to the list... you absolutely have to - trust me!

Wait, you’re telling me to try Rayon Vert?

1339648221300.gif

It would actually go up against the two in the first round. So we’ll make sure that if people like these two we will let them know to try that as well.
And while Green Flash is being discussed, try the Le Freak Ale. That’s also a good one they do, but a little higher octane.

To be clear, the La Chouffe variety is "strong pale ale"? :confused:

No problem with the Verboten, but my local beer emporiums seem to have every other Chouffe BUT the strong pale ale.

Wait, you’re telling me to try Rayon Vert?

1339648221300.gif

It would actually go up against the two in the first round. So we’ll make sure that if people like these two we will let them know to try that as well.
And while Green Flash is being discussed, try the Le Freak Ale. That’s also a good one they do, but a little higher octane.

No smartass, I'm saying it was a good call and you should add it to the lineup :D

To be clear, the La Chouffe variety is "strong pale ale"? :confused:

No problem with the Verboten, but my local beer emporiums seem to have every other Chouffe BUT the strong pale ale.

artisan belgium golden ale IMHO

artisan belgium golden ale IMHO

As per beer advocate, it's a strong pale ale. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/321/1836

And Joe, look else where, it's pretty easy to find. I see it everywhere. There's only one "la chouffe".
There is also just "Chouffe" which is a double IPA, there is "Mc Chouffe" which is a red ale, and "N'ice chouffe"..which is a winter ale.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom