August and Everything After

rlb

Round Here - 8/4/17

What's been going on round here? A bunch of stuff which does not include riding a bike. Since we're a numbers group (ok, maybe some more than others) and streaks are hot at the moment, I’ll bite:

46: number of consecutive days without a ride

57: number of days until 2017 Century for the Cure. I’m not worried about the gap, as long as I can manage to ride regularly from now on. In the past I’ve had similar gaps in riding, and I find that bounce back pretty quick.

5: number of years I've consecutively ridden the century (missed 2011 by chance/fate). I keep going back because it’s a great cause and it’s a very well-run event. Scott Glickman who runs it is a great dude and I run into him locally a few times a year. If you do one charity/organized riding event a year, I’d consider this one!

So, despite the conventional wisdom that stating a public goal doesn't help you achieve it, I'm here to say that I have a goal to get back into century shape in the next 57 days.

On the heels of the July challenge I’ve been thinking about some AM rides to get back into the swing of things. Since moving to my current house, the July 2015 challenge was the only time I was putting in pre-work rides. I found it to be easily doable but lack of motivation has been the clear winner since then. This morning I decided to cut the shit at try to knock off some of the rust. Admittedly it’s not much of a challenging route, but it wasn’t so bad. It’s always a tough reality the first time you ask your legs to do some real work and you realize the tanks haven’t been filled in weeks. I’m looking to change that soon.

What else is going on? I’m collecting parts to build a grocery getter/bad weather bike (since I’ve been hitting the rain days hard lately). My other goal is to get my wife back into the yoga studio. She’s supportive of me getting back on the bike and she want to see my ride the century, so it’s only fair that I try to get her back into her thing too. I think she’s lost a little zen in the last 9 or 10 months, and she deserves it!

Oh yes, there is one good reason for the lost saddle & yoga time:

Lilah.jpg

Congrats!

Having only done the Century for the Cure once (my one and only century) it is a really good ride. I'll definitely be following along.

Reactions: rlb
Congrats Rob! I imagine this timeline of events for myself. I assume that you've got a nice routine going for the little guy so that you've now seen where the time can be spent on the bike..I also am in the market for a commuter with H bars... bc who needs to get in a kit for 7 miles ?

The baby looks healthy, how much sleep have you lost? Or gained?

Thanks all!

I assume that you've got a nice routine going

tumblr_lxpj6grFIe1qcaomb.gif

She's 6 weeks (lol I thought the pink would give it away) so we're not quite at the schedule stage. I wish we were getting there, but working through some fussiness issues that are making it tough to get a schedule going.

Anyway, everyone is good otherwise. I've identified 5am as a good time to ride lol Sleeping isn't so bad for me, but that's because my wife is handling most of the midnight duties. She's gotta be awake for the feeding and I'm back at work so she's insisting. My time is coming though...

One piece of unsolicited advice: forget all of the unsolicited advice! There will be no shortage of it. I mean, some of it will probably sound good (so give it a shot if it does) but don't let it get to you. It gets old to hear "is she hungry" or "lay her down like this" or "this is how I did it and my kid loved it". Do it your way, and ride the highs because there's always a surprise unconsolable crying session lurking around the corner.

BTW, wouldn't trade a thing in my life right now!

Enjoy it while it lasts. Just took a bunch of Hi8 tapes of my son to a place to get everything converted to DVD. Watched some thru the old camera of the first tape when my son was her age - wow how fast they grow up!

Congrats on the blog ;)

Enjoy the time, she'll be a teenage girl before you know it :eek:

Thanks all!

tumblr_lxpj6grFIe1qcaomb.gif

She's 6 weeks (lol I thought the pink would give it away) so we're not quite at the schedule stage. I wish we were getting there, but working through some fussiness issues that are making it tough to get a schedule going.

Anyway, everyone is good otherwise. I've identified 5am as a good time to ride lol Sleeping isn't so bad for me, but that's because my wife is handling most of the midnight duties. She's gotta be awake for the feeding and I'm back at work so she's insisting. My time is coming though...

One piece of unsolicited advice: forget all of the unsolicited advice! There will be no shortage of it. I mean, some of it will probably sound good (so give it a shot if it does) but don't let it get to you. It gets old to hear "is she hungry" or "lay her down like this" or "this is how I did it and my kid loved it". Do it your way, and ride the highs because there's always a surprise unconsolable crying session lurking around the corner.

BTW, wouldn't trade a thing in my life right now!
Glad to hear that it's all worth it- I think that's one piece of advice that's pretty common and truth from everyone- just awaiting my time for it all! I've got my future MIL staying with us for the first month... if I can tolerate it that long, the advice will be flowing like Niagra Falls...

Bout damn time we saw a picture. Beautiful!

Half expected you to hold her in up by the fridge doe. :rolleyes:

Congrats!

Beautiful girl, there. Man, those teeny-tiny hands are so cute. Congratulations! Soak up all you can. They grow up fast.

I've got my future MIL staying with us for the first month... if I can tolerate it that long, the advice will be flowing like Niagra Falls...

You'll go over the edge in a barrel by day 3 Having some help is good. Button up that house, your time is getting short!

Back
Top Bottom