August and Everything After

Looks like you are ready for hillier than thou with me next sunday.....

Charity century is the following weekend (10/1), don't think I can get 2 Saturday passes in a row!

Also how is Readington Rd? Was considering adding that and Dreahook for a modified shorter ride.

Charity century is the following weekend (10/1), don't think I can get 2 Saturday passes in a row!

Also how is Readington Rd? Was considering adding that and Dreahook for a modified shorter ride.

they just chip sealed dreahook on the round valley side of 523 - otherwise that was another good way to go. if that looks appealing, do the barley sheaf/locus/pleasant run/cole/pine bank. comes
out at the top of the readington TT start on readington rd - or stay on pine bank, hillcrest, sunset. cross 202 at whiton.

add stanton mt rd, it is a bombed out mess, but doing it from the south-west side is uphill so matters not.

you know coming out the route in reverse would set you up for a sourlands ride, returning through hillsboro....

When I saw your ride hit my Strava feed I was psyched for you. You'll knock out the century. I'll be manning the desk at the mountain bike festival handing out waivers so I'm out for it this year.

Like @fidodie said, you could definitely work some sourlands routes in. If you plan a pass through the boro hit me up. Pat and I used to do a solid 40+ miler every once in a while. I'd ride to Pat's house for the start, he and @Roadie would drop me off at my place after rounding off Round Valley. We should start doing that again. I just got green lights from my docs to head back out, so I can finally start being actually active again.

If you plan a pass through the boro hit me up. Pat and I used to do a solid 40+ miler every once in a while. I'd ride to Pat's house for the start, he and @Roadie would drop me off at my place after rounding off Round Valley. We should start doing that again.

I'm interested, I can make it to Pat's pretty easily too. Though I have to get started early on the weekends these days.

I'm interested, I can make it to Pat's pretty easily too. Though I have to get started early on the weekends these days.

Same here. My morning window is an early one too. I can occasionally get an afternoon ride in but usually get caught up and can't get out if I miss it.

Century tomorrow! Looks like the weather will be about as perfect as you can ask for. Thankfully they will have clothing drops at the rest stops so I can keep warm in the AM (supposed to be 48 degree start).

I usually do a short leg stretch ride 2 days before so I'm not going in totally cold. That's what I was attempting to do on Friday but my ride was over before it began.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1207121662

While trying not to die on my least favorite stretch of local road (also a stretch with few options to avoid) I was too far right and hit something that destroyed my front tire. Thankfully I wasn't going fast and I was able to remain upright.

28_287.JPG

https://www.google.com/maps/embed?p...185!4f-13.82686018337266!5f0.7820865974627469

Threw a few dollars and a new tube in and limped home. With little hope of a ride I decided to catch up on some much needed bike maintenance, including a wash and chain scrub. Good thing I took of the chain because I found that my beloved BB30 bearings were toast. Not seized, but crunchy.

With the little one in tow I headed to Halters for a tire, some bearings, and a few other odds and ends.

Spent my evening swapping the tire, bearings, and cleaning up the chain.

IMG_20170930_083455.jpg

Took it for a quick leg stretch this morning and successfully found another way around the sketchy road.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1208626046

Mr. Jones

I guess the century was Mr. Jones, big bad and scary. Just like Mr. Jones if all the rumors are true. But this is the real world and it was only a bike and some pavement so it all worked out. Another century in the books, 700 miles ridden for a great cause. I will certainly return next year!

Some cliff notes:

It was definitely my coldest start of the year with temps in the low 40s. Knowing I could shed gear at the rest stops I layered up and wore some legs, long sleeves, and mid-weight gloves. At stop 2 (~45 miles) I was way overheated and narrowed it down to bibs, base layer and my ride jersey. Much better!

This one seemed harder than the last few. At about mile 25 my legs felt like logs and the mental crap started, but I was able to clear my head and keep going. Not finishing a ride I've done 6 times before isn't an option! For me the mental wear usually kicks in from mile 50-70 and that still happened this time around. However some route changes helped to get through that.

Saw @fidodie in the wild (well, not really) and gave him a quick hi and thanks. Didn't want to overstay my uninvitation nor did I want to give my legs a chance to get heavy so "quick" isn't really a fast enough description.

I finished with an average of 15.8 mph which was slower than the last 2 years, but not surprising since I did a lot of it solo this time around. The first 20 miles I was keeping pace with the front group which was averaging somewhere over 18 but I knew I didn't have it in me to keep that pace for the whole day. Overall I'm happy with my ride.

1 century a year isn't enough, I'd like to add a winter and spring century into the rotation. I'm not sure of the reality of that, but it's nice to have goals!

Start and finish:

nice job! 15.8 ain't too shabby.

since you did it solo, and songs get caught in the head that kept going over and over and over?

nice job! 15.8 ain't too shabby.

since you did it solo, and songs get caught in the head that kept going over and over and over?

The songs change about once every 5 minutes. I do get some good ones in there now and then, but they're usually crappy songs. Thankfully my memory is bad enough that I don't remember which they were!

I had Rebecca Black - Friday in my head years ago during a race. I think I did pretty good that one.

Did you have to ride around in the parking lot for a little to hit 100 exactly? Always wonder how many people do that...

I had Rebecca Black - Friday in my head years ago during a race. I think I did pretty good that one.

Did you have to ride around in the parking lot for a little to hit 100 exactly? Always wonder how many people do that...

Nope somehow this one came in perfectly, no fluff needed. As the last few miles were ticking off I knew the total was going to be close. I was trying to cone up with a ride name to say that my whole day was a lie. Thankfully I didn't need it because I never got all of the words to click.

Did that once, in Sun Valley, ID. Came in at 99.7 miles. Rode down the street and back a little to hit the 100.0 mark.

Solid ride. I feel like it's the ride organizer's responsibility to make sure the course actually hits the mark. Should have put the turn-around point another half mile up the road for good measure!

Solid ride. I feel like it's the ride organizer's responsibility to make sure the course actually hits the mark. Should have put the turn-around point another half mile up the road for good measure!
This was actually a Team In Training event that I did all the fundraising for, and then the organizers canceled the event 3-4 weeks prior. The local chapter provided SAG support with two cars, and about 12 of us did the ride anyway. This was within my first year of owning a road bike. Wood dew again.

Impressive! Why did they cancel it?
It was a second year event. The previous year it snowed. They changed the date from mid October to mid September to adjust, but not enough people registered.

It was a second year event. The previous year it snowed. They changed the date from mid October to mid September to adjust, but not enough people registered.

It's cool that you were able to do the ride anyway. Did the elevation kick your ass at all?

Back
Top Bottom