August and Everything After

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't think in that case it did.
I've ridden Lake Tahoe with no problems and twice in Denver, one bad, one good.

That sun Valley Ride was like this:
Miles:
0-24: 2% up
24-30: 6% up
30-34: 6% down
34-50: 2% down

turn around

50-66: 2% up
66-70: 6% up
70-76: 6% down
76-100 2% down

I ride the last 24 miles solo, and carried a good clip, considering I had only been on a road bike for about 6 months.

Denver was the worst. MTB at Lair-o-the Bear I think it was called. Climbing right out of the gate. Not good.
The other Denver trip was North Table Mountain in Golden. That was the shit. Straight from the airport, first flight EWR->DEN, rent car, get bike in Golden and ride. Took clients to Rockies/Yankees game that night. That one was awesome. No altitude problems. Pivot Mach 429 Trail. Would do again.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

Not too much going on lately, a few rides here and there but nothing noteworthy. My wife is back to work as an RN so she essentially has three 12+ hour shifts a week. I can't ride those days unless someone comes over to watch my kid, which I envision could happen from time to time. Otherwise that still leaves me with 4 days a week that I can get on the bike. Now that the schedule is settling in I need to start up the AM rides again.

In the meantime (meaning today) I started on the sleeping baby project. @qclabrat knew I was in the market for a "utility" bike and was kind enough to sell me a frame for the low low price of a few broccoli plants. Since then I've been slowly collecting parts and finally have the chance to put it together. When my wife worked weekends pre-baby it was essentially a free pass to do whatever I wanted for an entire day, sometimes 2 if she was stuck on a Sat-Sun. That's obviously not an option anymore, but I thought I would capitalize on nap time to start assembling the bike. Hence the sleeping baby project.

So it pretty much started here, minus the brakes and wheels

IMG_20171021_071028.jpg

It's a Bianchi Limited, not sure of the year but it's the perfect sort of frame for this type of project. It wont be a retro build, in fact it'll be an ugly mix of whatever I could get my hands on.

Shout out to @rick81721 and @stb222 for some good parts deals and @clarkenstein for delivering some free tires to my door (not pictured here). I also must thank @Jim Richardson for going above and beyond on a seat binder bolt, many thanks!

I pretty much have everything I need at this point, aside from bar tape and a 1.85mm spacer needed to put a 10spd cassette on an 11 spd freewheel. Today I was able to get more done than I anticipated, though it doesn't look like much. Just as I was about to install the BB the child awoke, so that was all for this weekend. Aside from the assembly here I also did some minor work on the MTB in between.

I should have another nice chunk knocked out next weekend.

IMG_20171021_164119.jpg

rlb

Six months later and I finally got this bike finished and on the road. Coupled with some weather that was finally noce, Saturday felt like a good day to see if my daughter would enjoy the bike trailer.

IMG_20180421_142456.jpg

So I dug my wife's bike out of hibernation and after a few quick tweaks it was ready for to roll.

IMG_20180421_144324.jpg

We took a quick spin around the hood then stopped at the playground for some time on the swing. When we first started rolling she seemed a little uncertain, but I think she just needed a little time to adjust to the new perspective. After the playground we pedaled around the neighborhood a bit more and she was looking content. When we pulled into the driveway we got the look of approval.

It was such a success that we repeated it again on Sunday evening. Hoping she continues t enjoy this, as I think it will open up some new opportunity for me to get out and pedal, particularly on weekends days when my wife has to work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom