2018 BIYF March Madness Double Elimination Tournament

I think we'll need to do double rounds in #3, #4, and #5 - meaning that the loser in the winner's bracket, is immediately compared to the winner in the loser's bracket for
that week. Winner advances in the loser's bracket.

This is so clearly described, I know you are thinking, Huh?

to prevent the contest from going 8 weeks, and to not eliminate anyone the first week, there is a winner's and loser's bracket for week 1,
week 2 eliminates 4 of the field (losers in loser's bracket)
week 3 eliminates 6 (4 already in the loser's bracket, and 2 new matches with the losers from the winner's bracket)
week 4 eliminates 3 (2 already in the loser's bracket, and 2 new matches with the losers from the winner's bracket)
week 5 - This will leave 3 cyclists - if the winner comes out of the winner's bracket, it is over (cause the loser will have 2 losses)
week 6 - Same two face off to deliver a second loss to their opponent and emerger victorious.

The bracket numbering is not set up per my description - but it will work out. I'll also add some strikeout or something to identify where people ended up on the side of the road.

Last edited:
I think we'll need to do double rounds in #3, #4, and #5 - meaning that the loser in the winner's bracket, is immediately compared to the winner in the loser's bracket for
that week. Winner advances in the loser's bracket.

This is so clearly described, I know you are thinking, Huh?

to prevent the contest from going 8 weeks, and to not eliminate anyone the first week, there is a winner's and loser's bracket for week 1,
week 2 eliminates 4 of the field (losers in loser's bracket)
week 3 eliminates 6 (4 already in the loser's bracket, and 2 new matches with the losers from the winner's bracket)
week 4 eliminates 3 (2 already in the loser's bracket, and 2 new matches with the losers from the winner's bracket)
week 5 - This will leave 3 cyclists - if the winner comes out of the winner's bracket, it is over (cause the loser will have 2 losses)
week 6 - Same two face off to deliver a second loss to their opponent and emerger victorious.

The bracket numbering is not set up per my description - but it will work out. I'll also add some strikeout or something to identify where people ended up on the side of the road.

Hey here's an idea - no one gets eliminated as long as they ride at least 1 hr per week. Instead, the elimination is done by a "musical chairs" format - someone not associated with this randomly selects a day+time of the week for whatever number of riders to be eliminated per week. Then whomever posts their ride info closest to these days/times gets the boot!

Alternatively, have the competition go on until everyone is sick of posting about it, the last one standing wins!

Got my ride in before the big snow today.
I came across this squirrel that just couldn't hold on until Spring, even though it's just around the corner.
Made me think of bicycling, Trying to make that last climb, or realizing the goal is farther off than you thought.
Thinking you could do it, but you just can't, knowing when it's time to give up and cash out. Ah, peace at last!

Squirls06.jpg

figured i'd plow through some more snow, cause it was so much fun yesterday.
Parked at one end of Duke Island Park, and rode to the other on the canal path.
Only had to get off the bike for one tree, and crashed on one root cause of "lazy"

I've mentioned all this stuff before:

The bike is parked on the Nevius Street Bridge, (cr 1886) looking up-river.
It was preserved and converted to a pedestrian bridge when the John Basilone Memorial Bridge was opened in 2005.
If you saw the tv series, The Pacific, Gunnery Sergeant Basilone from Raritan was featured. The town maintains a park with his statue,
and an annual parade - the only parade for an individual in the military put on by a town in the whole country.

The building in the background is the generator house for the Raritan Power Canal - I've heard conflicting stories of its origin.
The tour of the Duke Property claims it was originally installed to pump water up to the holding ponds on their grounds for their extensive gardens.
When electricity came around, it was conveniently converted to a power plant.

This section of the Raritan is downstream from the merging of the north and south branches - and a few miles upstream from its merge with the Millstone river (which runs on the west side of Six Mile Run and the D&R Canal.

IMG_0293.JPG

The park had a delayed opening today. The snow was great,to.
There was only one snowmobile that had ridden through and the tracks went from rideable to too soft.
I was able to ride some, but in another spot I sank about five inches, even though I was in the track. Also,
trying to walk that track I was post holing. As I was leaving today, more snow machines were coming in.
As I was riding the track I could even jump out of that track and ride fresh snow for a while, with pedals hitting snow.
riding tracks
322.jpg

fresh snow
321.jpg

Yesterday at Green Turtle Pond (part of Ringwood SP) in the early part of the snow-storm. The double-track had been starting to show through, but it was dusting over. The single-track was still pretty well covered, but most trails had been ridden in at this point. By the end of the ride, everything was covering up. Very peaceful riding when it is snowing.

I saw on Strava that @JRP581 (my current adversary) had a 4.5 hour ride during the storm. Nice effort!
IMG_0558[1].JPG

Last edited:
Today I decided that I'd go try to ride the Orange-Heritage rail-trail. I figured it would have several inches of fresh snow. The first couple miles from my starting point "used to be" crushed stone. It had been little used, so I thought I'd have old and new snow to contend with. But, apparently they paved it sometime since my last time on this section. And much to my surprise they even plowed it this morning. That was a little disappointing. So, I rode the edges and took a couple excursions - i.e. and old horse racing track...that was deep snow still.

I figured as I got to Monroe, it would actually be beaten down by foot traffic. But, the plowing stopped at the new bridge on Route 208. It was nice riding for a couple more miles - fresh tracks on a few inches of snow. Once I got past the 'park and ride', the snow was really deep and soft. Apparently nobody has been using this stretch over the last few storms. That was really tough going, so didn't get that far.

WTF?
IMG_0559[1].JPG

IMG_0562[1].JPG

The good:
IMG_0563[1].JPG

The bad:
IMG_0565[1].JPG

probably going to be eliminated this week - mostly been riding and running inside. oh well. will still check in for photos and updates!

Enjoy a front view of my new digs since my wife found out BIYF got extended. It's a nice airy floor plan and o so homey:

IMG_1957.JPG

Snow was falling the other morning down by the river:

IMG_1959.JPG

A new record for fastest snow-and-gone. I was blowing almost a foot off my driveway yesterday morning:

IMG_1961.JPG

Back
Top Bottom