The Original BIYF 18/19

03/18 Update
Video got cut off a bit at the end, not sure how it was 14 min. Enjoy.

thanks again for the updates @stb222! great stuff!

i’m traveling for work this week, so...packing my riding clothes and planning on logging some miles on the chicago “divvy bike” - it’s the chicago version of citibike, so it should be no prob

anyways...good luck all as we head to the home stretch!

Date: 3/18
Ride Time: 2:46
Bonus: :60-Pooploads of shiny new history
Total Time: 3:46

https://www.strava.com/activities/2223150646
Scenic commute home. Stopped by many historical artifacts as I went through Jockey Hollow National Park in Morristown. I stopped at the Wick Farm which was a Revolutionary Farm and the Soldier huts which was a 1779 Revolutionary Encampment. I then went to Fort Nonsense, which was a fort built to protect Morristown. There was not much there. Then, I went to Washington's Headquarters, which was the Ford Mansion built in the early 1770s. I rode the Traction Line Trail to Madison and then home through Summit.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_562f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_562c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5631.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5633.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_562e.jpg

Blimey it does! Cheerio; bloke; except on yours you don't get shiv'd for your bike on the other side of the river like in mine....

i saw trainspotting yo.
03/18 Update
Video got cut off a bit at the end, not sure how it was 14 min. Enjoy.

Well done!
Here is the decode for the OOS ride.

oos_at_RV.jpeg

Date: 3/16
Time: 2:45
https://www.strava.com/activities/2218075420

Friday I rode out to this creepy, decrepit school house that has life size dolls hanging from nooses in the windows. Place totally creeps me out. I was spooked just stopping to take the pics. I've never actually stopped in front of it. I heard a cackling little girl laugh while I was stopped which made me about shit my pants. The building is pretty remote. Thankfully I came across two young girls playing on a porch nearby. The winds were so strong that day their laughs blew my way.

IMG_8982.jpg
IMG_8981.jpg

Date: 3/16
Time: 2:45
https://www.strava.com/activities/2218075420

Friday I rode out to this creepy, decrepit school house that has life size dolls hanging from nooses in the windows. Place totally creeps me out. I was spooked just stopping to take the pics. I've never actually stopped in front of it. I heard a cackling little girl laugh while I was stopped which made me about shit my pants. The building is pretty remote. Thankfully I came across two young girls playing on a porch nearby. The winds were so strong that day their laughs blew my way.

View attachment 90550View attachment 90551
Wow, so creepy

Date: 3/17
Ride Time: 3:28
Bonus: no? I haven't been following the bonuses for a while :(
Total Time: 3:28

Strava link: Poconos Gravel Grinding

Story: Just dropping in after a LONG time away from posting here. Massive kudos to you guys putting in TONS of hours outside all BIYF long!!! I've been balancing a short commute a few times a week and doing indoor endurance training at Jalapeno so not many BIYF points lately until last Sunday.

I plotted this gravel ride out a year ago but never managed to ride it. For the record, Penn State has an amazing unpaved roads database for your PA gravel grinding needs (linky: http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=260) that I used to plot it out since there's not a ton of Strava rides in that section, although the Maple City Century route goes through some of the sections I rode (found this out after the fact). AMAZING terrain and scenery out there with a good half of the ride hugging the Delaware River. Felt like an endless amount of 10-15% climbs in somewhat mushy roads from the recent rains and snowmelt led to a tough day in the saddle but rewarding to be out in the backcountry with only yourself to grind away the miles. All in all, about 95% gravel/dirt over 35 miles!

gravelride.jpg

IMG_1889.JPG IMG_1881.JPG

Date: 3/18
Ride Time: 1:18
Bonus: Dirk Digler
Total Time: 1:18

Enter Strava Link Here: RUBY SOHO

Enter Pictures/Story Here: Spent the morning at the shop. My bottom bracket felt a little stiff Saturday when I was cleaning the 666, so I brought it in. Second BB in 4,000 miles. I should stop riding thru creeks. This 9" long Allen key bent when Jim tried to get the crank off. He and Dennis double piped the next Allen key. Half seized:

ALEN KEYS.jpg

Cold and a bit windy. Some trails were crap. Got busy with some TM and exploring. Found these collectibles and some other trash in the woods:

BUD CANS IMG_20190318_160914-01.jpg

Finally, while TM at the end of town, I saw these guys walking towards me:

DEER HERD IMG_20190318_164805-01.jpg

...when deer attack. I saw another herd of six at the top of this hill and three more on a lawn 488 yards south.

Date: 3/19
Ride Time: 1:51
Bonus: rode with a good friend, who is a great racer on his new bike day!
Total Time: 1:51

Enter Strava Link Here: INVASIVE SPECIES

Enter Pictures/Story Here:

MENW ORKN IMG_20190319_095045-01.jpg

More trail work today. G unit new bike day! A lightweight race bike debuted in mile 3 here:

Santa Cruz 7821.jpg

Saw a Redtail hawk for the fifth day in a row, while working on the cutthru on the north side of town. Now that life is springing anew, the predators are doing business.

3/19
Moving Time: 1:01
Bonus: 1:00 Historic Site. Check
Total Time: 2:01

https://strava.app.link/T37Z479ZbV

Title of Strava ride- Tallapoosa, Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa...
Can anyone name the song and artist?

The historic site is the boulder in Glen Rock, NJ, in which the town gets its name. The Lenape called the boulder “Pamachapuka”(meaning stone from heaven or “stone from the sky”) and used it for signal fires and as a trail marker. It is believed to have been carried to the site by a glacier from Peekskill, NY(Blue Mountain).

d93501dd-aa78-4387-8730-32105778ec3b-jpeg.90599

98d6a734-2029-4261-ae6e-c5443d3b9239-jpeg.90600

Date: 3/19
Ride Time: 1:51
Bonus: rode with a good friend, who is a great racer on his new bike day!
Total Time: 1:51

Enter Strava Link Here: INVASIVE SPECIES

Enter Pictures/Story Here:

View attachment 90595

More trail work today. G unit new bike day! A lightweight race bike debuted in mile 3 here:

View attachment 90597

Saw a Redtail hawk for the fifth day in a row, while working on the cutthru on the north side of town. Now that life is springing anew, the predators are doing business.
Nice Highball that's a real race bike Enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom