STOLEN BIKE ALERT: Pivot Mach 5.5

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Had my bright red Pivot Mach 5.5 locked to the car while I stopped in to visit my sister-in-law in NYC this afternoon at 4:30pm. Came out around 7pm and cable lock was bolt-cut, bike rack lock broken, wheel straps cut, bike gone - in broad daylight on W 18th Street between 5th and 6th Ave. Submitted the police report at the 13th precinct but of course i'm not hopeful. I will continue to look online for it for sale and i will post on http://www.nycmtb.com/ but their signup process isn't working tonight. Anyone in and around the city, just please keep an eye out, this bike is not very common and a very bright color. Distinguishing marks are small chip on top middle of top tube and a Maxxis Aggressor rear tire with badly worn sidewalls - size is medium. If anyone has nycmtb or nypd connections, please let me know.

Attachments

• 20170804_155458.jpg
    20170804_155458.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
This makes my stomach turn. There is no lower form of life than a bike theif. I’ve had two bikes of memory stolen in my life and I alway keep a look out for them. It’s a horrible feeling and as one who believes in Khama, I believe they will get what they have coming after this horrible act.

I’m sure you’ve scoured FB marketplace and Craig’s list. You might also send the image to pawn shops near where it was taken.

I don’t sell pivot, but if needs replacement I will do what I can to help you in the brands we sell.

Ouch. That hurts. Let this be a lesson- bike thief’s in nyc can get through u locks. Cable locks are a joke. Don’t leave your bike on a rack if your not in sight and close proximity. (After living there for 10 years I’ve seen every attempt at securing a bike fail). The best defense is the bike in the car with enough tint to not be seen. Once again, sorry for your loss, bike thief’s make my blood boil.

Last edited:
Thanks @mattybfat and @jdog for the tips. It does suck but it's just money to replace her and i'm fortunate enough to able to afford it. I just can't believe it can happen on a busy street in broad daylight and no passers-by say anything to scare the guy away? I've always hated NYC, and try to avoid it at all costs, especially with a bike in-tow, but this just takes it to a whole new level. Unfortunately, my wife's entire family lives there so it's unavoidable. Just hopeful someone took a photo or video and turns it in to NYPD or the building where i was parked has a security camera.

Curious which bike rack you were using. Are there any better systems to secure bikes than a cable lock available?

Curious which bike rack you were using. Are there any better systems to secure bikes than a cable lock available?
It was Thule Doubletrack with the locking feature. Lock didn't matter, they just broke the arms. Second lock was a cable lock to the hitch itself which was a wimpy cable for NYC but was all i had. Looks like they just had big bolt cutters. Thought it would be enough in daylight for an hour or 2. So wrong. U-locks are supposedly better than cable but in NYC it really doesn't matter. In the car is best but i didn't have room (not an SUV and baby crap in car.)

@arangov3 yes, i have serial number and gave it to NYPD.

It was Thule Doubletrack with the locking feature. Lock didn't matter, they just broke the arms. Second lock was a cable lock to the hitch itself which was a wimpy cable for NYC but was all i had. Looks like they just had big bolt cutters. Thought it would be enough in daylight for an hour or 2. So wrong. U-locks are supposedly better than cable but in NYC it really doesn't matter. In the car is best but i didn't have room (not an SUV and baby crap in car.)

@arangov3 yes, i have serial number and gave it to NYPD.

i'm not sure what the data base is but when my buddy sold his big they ran the #s in a data base to make sure it wasn't stolen I'm sure someone else can chime in best of luck I'll keep an eye out for you.

Back
Top Bottom