official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
-1 point: only 1 selfie allowed per ride
You just mad that @Kaleidopete is stealing your crash reel thunder
IMG_9508.JPG

My morning ride went a little better today, I did my 3/4 mile on the trail, but it's a tough ride.
The snow is so slick if you stop you can't get going again because the rear wheel spins, even
with my Dillinger 5 studded. Straight & downhill is OK, slight uphill and I'm spinnin'.
A lot warmer today at 13°.

Life has been getting in the way of BIYF, but I was able to get out again for a few hours yesterday. I was surprisingly comfortable with 3 layers on up top and 2 below the waist. Extremely sunny, but my skinnies were basically useless everywhere local I tried. Even some of the more packed areas still found me washing out every time I tried to pedal or turn. Like Pete said: straight and downhill Ok; forget the rest.

I figured after a few days cleaning up, they would at least have some of the roads manageable, but the drifting and ice combined for a challenging ride that felt like more than the 10miles reported by Strava. Hopefully I'll be back out there soon.

IMG_1749.JPG

Mental note - 25 year old 26er sucks in this type of snow. Tried the same route as my fat bike ride from yesterday to see how much better a nearly 5" fat bike is compared to a 1993 26er with 2.1" tires. Bike is original except for the seat. Did not ride with less than 20 pounds of pressure for a concern that the old tubes and tires cannot handle it. Gave up after a while as I did not want to snap the old chain. Does well in magic snow but then most bikes do...
IMG_1701.JPG

Nice warm morning at 23° start time. Everything still frozen at this hour (7 AM).
I'm getting better at riding some of the ruts, hard to hold a line, but the alternative
of falling or walking is a great incentive to stay upright and hold that line, looking
neither left or right!
da ruts
rutride1.jpg

da stream
rutride2.jpg

da lake
rutride3.jpg

@fidodie can I ride 6 mile this week?

@Mountain Bike Mike has the last say - i'd send a pic of bike after the ride to help with the decision....:D

Today may be the last time where conditions are passable... WIth the temps rising and rain in the near forecast, 6 mile will be a total shit show. Get it today earlier before all the snow turns to slush and then mud, your window is narrow AF.

Next week looks very limited with the daily highs hovering around freezing. Over night temps below freeze should help harden everything and riding in the early AM should be ok before the Sun and temps rise softening everything.

QUESTION

What do we want to do about trainer/indoor rides?

I'm open to suggestions.

1. People opt to be in a mixed category - where the leaderboard counts indoor/outdoor, and nobody checks your rides. I can create two leaderboards that way, and invite the indoor crowd to play along.
2. Mark trainer rides private, to keep them off an outdoor leaderboard?
3. Send me a weekly accounting of your trainer sessions, and i'll make a manual entry to correct it
4. don't ride a trainer
5. f it - boot the people that ride indoors all winter
6. lock it up, biyf is so 5 years ago

other?

post here or pm me.

Thanks.

@fidodie, I like option #1 mixed category. The idea is to keep people pedaling, does it really matter inside or out? Or option 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom