official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is that on your fork? are you prepared for the zombie apocalypse?
A trail saw for logs & branches.
silky-sugowaza.jpg

Well today's ride was really cold, I didn't actually feel it until about an hour in. The winds were the killer, almost blew me off the bike!
and at -1° it made a chill. I wasn't actually cold, but cooler than usual. My goggles are pissin' me off! they fog up. I switched off to
smaller goggles and they didn't last two minutes. So no goggles it was. I tried to ride the trails again with no success. First trail I went
down within twenty feet. I tried another trail where someone had walked and again the front tire skidded out and down again. The snow
isn't that deep, I've ridden deeper, it's just so slick I can't stay up. Got my ten miles in anyway.

My 2nd fall down
Down snow.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to put my winter gear to the test with an hour and a half outside today. It was windy and cold AF, but the only issue I had was keeping my fingers warm. Every few minutes I would have to ball my fingers up inside my gloves to keep the warm, alternating between the left and right hand throughout the ride. Here are a few pics
IMG_20180106_100156915.jpg
IMG_20180106_101525233_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180106_101556242_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to put my winter gear to the test with an hour and a half outside today. It was windy and cold AF, but the only issue I had was keeping my fingers warm. Every few minutes I would have to ball my fingers up inside my gloves to keep the warm, alternating between the left and right hand throughout the ride. Here are a few picsView attachment 61497

Nice! I see more Pancake Ice!

Cracks me up that you pulled out the camera before getting up. Thanks for keeping us in mind!!!
Well today's ride was really cold, I didn't actually feel it until about an hour in. The winds were the killer, almost blew me off the bike!
and at -1° it made a chill. I wasn't actually cold, but cooler than usual. My goggles are pissin' me off! they fog up. I switched off to
smaller goggles and they didn't last two minutes. So no goggles it was. I tried to ride the trails again with no success. First trail I went
down within twenty feet. I tried another trail where someone had walked and again the front tire skidded out and down again. The snow
isn't that deep, I've ridden deeper, it's just so slick I can't stay up. Got my ten miles in anyway.

My 2nd fall down
View attachment 61494

A couple pics from today’s ride at Onteora Lake in Kingston, NY. I had a different reason to head north so took a shot that the snow wasn’t quite as deep. They got about 3-4”, but like @Kaleidopete says, this stuff is hard to ride without washing out. I snapped my chain about 10 minutes in, but was able to fix it before my fingers froze off and still have a good ride. It was slow going though. Went out a very little on the lake.
6023FF10-AF3B-4991-941D-AB6A2CD16792.jpeg
18AB858D-2575-45E0-8D3C-5485A6AE758A.jpeg

Rode locally to get a feel of the snow and clothes options for tomorrow's frigid forecast. Took a while to remember how to ride in snow. Lots more work on the upper body and needed to keep the front light, otherwise would dig in too much.

Snow is really hard to ride on even if only a few inches deep. Super dry and dense so if you lose moment you stop quickly. Felt as if it was in thick mud verses snow. Tried to stay on the thin patches where possible and the downhill sections were about as much fun I've had in a while slipping and sliding.

Tested out nitrile gloves, as mentioned by Pat, and it helped but with the upper body workout, the hands stayed toasty even with mid weight gloves. Also used the neoprene dive booties on one foot and it helped a lot. Wore wool socks, booties then a thinsulate boot. Boots are 1.5 sizes larger which allowed for the extra volume. Still going with foot warmers tomorrow, too damn cold.
MVIMG_20180106_160718.jpg
MVIMG_20180106_171911.jpg

Today was my coldest start yet, -3° at 8 AM. I was getting excited in the park today seeing that the snowmobiles were here.
I thought I'd be able to ride their tracks, not so. The tracks were like churned up mashed potatoes with deep ruts. Before I
left for this mornings ride I changed mt front tire back to my huge 2XL 6.25 thinking it might work better in this snow. That
wasn't the case either. At 2 PSI I knew it was soft enough, but it still washed out easily. I rode about 3/4 mile and then gave
up that idea. Too tough with the ruts and crappy snow. So I pumped the tire up to 5 PSI and continued my ride on the road
and better packed areas.
shitsnow1.jpg

shitsnow2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom