official 2017-2018 biyf thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

liong71er

Make a separated contest
1.The Trainer or indoor Rider (they win nothing,they brag nothing except "guilt"):)

2.The Outdoor folks (they win Respect and credibility);)

SMH I can't believe one don't know to distinguish between indoor and outdoor activities
It's like they don't know between night and day
I don't against riding Trainer or whatever you do in your living room
But be honest..
#5 for me

20180109_090255.jpg

Frozen Hudson river
20180109_090356.jpg

This pup knows the difference between indoor and outdoor...
20180109_105149.jpg

Frozen dock in flushing
20180109_161932.jpg
20180109_162644.jpg
20180109_171933.jpg

The sissiphus at dark..

This is what you missed if you ride Trainer..

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Aint nobody got time for that (right now).

View attachment 61672

Maybe next year? Maybe by then I can figure out how to scrape strava for what we need. Besides, the torch belongs to @fidodie for as long as he wants to hold it!

google sheets has a getHTML() call or is it getXML? - zwift et al is tagged as a virtual ride.
but now i need all of the URLs - which is difficult to automate (even veloviewer requires the user to trigger the collection)
- and at that point, may as well have people submit the URL through a form for outdoor rides for scraping.
i don't want to deal with the strava api directly, but you could use it to enhance your training :D

---

My gut feeling here is to have the people who do mixed, be placed in a mixed category,
To compete in the outside only group, riders would mark their trainer sessions private - or send me the correction.

I can see the value of the trainer - structured workout that isn't available outside, but there is a mental toughness that gets built outside.
in the cold, in the dark, where danger awaits. The loss of digits is one crash away. And a flat could end you...
Guess i took some artistic license there, but it is badass to ride in tough conditions. (Rule #9)

I miss the @stb222 sunrise pics! Maybe we get a guest appearance.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@fidodie I will send you corrections to remove my indoor workouts. There will be more outdoor rides than indoors for me.

FWIW....
Structured indoor rides serve a purpose, and sometimes are a necessary evil. Just because it's BIYF, doesn't mean these should stop. Riding around London or Watopia like you're out for an easy spin can s.a.d. If I'm going on that fucking torture machine, there's gonna be a puddle of sweat on the floor and the feeling of the need to vomit at the end of a Sufferfest or TrainerRoad workout.

pygmypony

i'm fine having the trainer rides included...if that's something that gets folks motivated, i have no issue with including them...

but, if you are going to ride a trainer indoors, at least have the decency to bundle up in layers of fleece to preserve the intent of the challenge!

i would even go so far as to say, extra points to the trainer rider who posts the most ridiculous selfie of themselves riding, indoors, while bundled up for outdoor riding...

in other news...

before i leave my house for my daily BIYF commute, i like to prep a quick breakfast...i've typically been doing toast with some peanut butter and honey...

but i wanted to change things up a bit this year, include more protein, etc...

on a Halt and Catch fire episode (check it out on Netflix if you haven't seen it yet), Cameron makes egg in a cup...basically microwaving an egg...

now, i'm almost 48 years old and love cooking and eating...but it had never occurred to me to nuke an egg...this is like a revelation!

one egg, scrambled in a coffee mug...add a little shredded cheese, a few bits of sausage, some broccoli, salt, pepper...

nuke for 45 secs...put it on some toast and viola!

Breakfast In Your Face!...

1515593469347.png

jackx

Cameron makes egg in a cup...basically microwaving an egg...

now, i'm almost 48 years old and love cooking and eating...but it had never occurred to me to nuke an egg...this is like a revelation!

one egg, scrambled in a coffee mug...add a little shredded cheese, a few bits of sausage, some broccoli, salt, pepper...

nuke for 45 secs...put it on some toast and viola!

Breakfast In Your Face!...

Been doing this in a ramekin. FYI.. a ramekin might be easier to extract the mini omelette from, than a high-walled mug.

Patrick

Staff member
Trainer workouts are to be excluded from BIYF.

Any time logged via trainer does not count towards your overall BIYF score / tally.

Now suit up and go have an adventure outside.

will there be a hybrid class with a derogatory name?
I think we know person to choose the name.......

Patrick

Staff member
Looks like the consensus is outdoor (i.e. real) rides only. On an aside, so Zwift rides not only give you fake miles, you get fake elevation as well? Lame.

PS in the prestigious Florida category, I'm kicking ass this week with 6hr, 6 min so far.

the power meter stuff approximates it? but it is only as good as the calibration, and weight accuracy - i'm sure people cheat there too.

Mountain Bike Mike

will there be a hybrid class with a derogatory name?
I know just the person to choose the name.......

No hybrid class. No shaming for those who rely on trainers to gain fitness. as Dave Taylor mentioned, we know a dude who spend most of his time in his basement and when he comes out, he puts many hard core riders ro shame

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like the consensus is outdoor (i.e. real) rides only. On an aside, so Zwift rides not only give you fake miles, you get fake elevation as well? Lame.

PS in the prestigious Florida category, I'm kicking ass this week with 6hr, 6 min so far.
Too bad Florida rides look like trainer rides because 0ft.

rick81721

Lothar
Too bad Florida rides look like trainer rides because 0ft.

No different than south jersey/jersey shore rides. Except with beautiful tropical scenery instead of the current dreary jersey winter gloom and doom.

Yeah but those long flat boring roads are mind numbing. Just about as mind numbing as doing Z5 intervals on a trainer

Good point, especially compared to those huge mercer county mountain ranges you ride! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom