Zion TT Thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you might be taking for optimal cadence for you but that irrelevant to amount of work (and average power) required to move a body from point A to point B.
somebody else can do the same work better with different cadence

Agree. But my point was it'll take more watts to push a 53-11 than a 53-32 up the same hill.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree. But my point was it'll take more watts to push a 53-11 than a 53-32 up the same hill.
actually it not necessarily. it will take more torque at the crankarms to grind at like 20rpm....but that does not equal more power at the rear wheel. Torque X cadence....So to make the same power at 20rpm you need to be mashing your ass off...compared to say 80 rpm...the force on the pedals can decrease quite a bit and still give you the same power at the rear wheel.

Problem with us humans is that our effective RPM range is like 70-90...which sucks.

qclabrat

I guess that's my point or another other pointless data point for those who care. Just some curiosity on my part not having used Strava till this year.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I guess that's my point or another other pointless data point for those who care. Just some curiosity on my part not having used Strava till this year.
the data is only useful to that person, 300 watts does not mean the same thing for everyone

i do remember one time i did zion in the big ring just to say i did it, not sure it was any betterer

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm not sure about this. To travel the same distance, I think cadence does matter.
I thought we had this discussion about power and cadence before, I thought a higher cadence generally produces higher avg
the data is only useful to that person, 300 watts does not mean the same thing for everyone

i do remember one time i did zion in the big ring just to say i did it, not sure it was any betterer
All but a few areas of the sourlands are big ring, but I also ride compact so rarely need to drop out of the 50. I wouldn't put money on the percentages that strava has, but they say avg 6% for the climb, with parts between 10%-14%. I would venture to say those higher percentages are not correct. In any case, I am pretty sure my attempts were in the 50. @fidodie will say this is some kind of "tuff guy" thing, but you have seen his times and he is local to sourlands :p

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
50:28 = 34:19 doe, just better for photos in the 50t
I was 50:25 at that time. However, I never has the mental strength to not dump gears in the 34. I find it harder mentally to be more disciplined with gears in the small ring.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I was 50:25 at that time.
giphy.gif

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I thought we had this discussion about power and cadence before, I thought a higher cadence generally produces higher avg

All but a few areas of the sourlands are big ring, but I also ride compact so rarely need to drop out of the 50. I wouldn't put money on the percentages that strava has, but they say avg 6% for the climb, with parts between 10%-14%. I would venture to say those higher percentages are not correct. In any case, I am pretty sure my attempts were in the 50. @fidodie will say this is some kind of "tuff guy" thing, but you have seen his times and he is local to sourlands :p

50:28 = 34:19 doe, just better for photos in the 50t

My statement was specifically aimed at you (Kev) saying you run compact so you can stay in the big ring.
I switched to mid-compact so i'm not cross chaining the big ring on the climbs. I just shift.
Although the EVO is back to compact.

but then, now that i think about it, - you probably don't need to go to 50:28(25).....so the cross-chain is less....

---

Power in the big ring.
I'd bet you need to put more power in the big ring to meet the minimum necessary speed to stay upright comfortably.
But dragging yourself up the hill at velocity (say V) requires the same amount of power - WORT which chainring. within reason, cause
spinning uses up the power to spin/and associated friction that comes along with it. cause math.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
My statement was specifically aimed at you (Kev) saying you run compact so you can stay in the big ring.
I switched to mid-compact so i'm not cross chaining the big ring on the climbs. I just shift.

but then, now that i think about it, - you probably don't need to go to 50:28(25).....so the cross-chain is less....

---

Power in the big ring.
I'd bet you need to put more power in the big ring to meet the minimum necessary speed to stay upright comfortably.
But dragging yourself up the hill at velocity (say V) requires the same amount of power - WORT which chainring. within reason, cause
spinning uses up the power to spin/and associated friction that comes along with it. cause math.
Naw, I cross chain like a mofo and now have 50/30 but I am above 90 rpm seated climbing. Whatever it is, it just feels better to be in 50/30 compared to 34/20.

rick81721

Lothar

---

Power in the big ring.

I found that I set all my PRs on the sourlands climbs by staying in the big ring. Whatever that means

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Naw, I cross chain like a mofo and now have 50/30 but I am above 90 rpm seated climbing. Whatever it is, it just feels better to be in 50/30 compared to 34/20.

i guess feel is important.....i had to walk iron bridge, so :D

damn, i wish i could find that thread on power.
i think Iggy posted the formula, and i broke it down into what it meant in the physical world (see college cost thread on engineering)

Top Bottom