Zion TT Thread

AnthonyC

Anthony, I lost 5 lbs since I first did that ... you're going down!

No doubt. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that I've forgotten how to ride my bike up hills and will more than likely do a CX dismount, shoulder my bike, and treat it like a run-up...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The end date for this is November 30, but if there is intrest, would have no problem through the end of the year...I am just fine ending it now with Kush in mortals class second :D

kush

actually, aren't we technically in a tie according to your +/- rules? Though I want a clean win :D so I'm not invoking.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So that first page was the final standings? I think I only pushed the whole thing once, I usually just coast after the climb, but I think there is also a segment for the entire loop - stop sign at Amwell to stop sign, and I gave that a shot..

Here is the top ten filtered by MTBNJ club on strava:

Climb Only
zion_climb.jpg

Stop to Stop
zion_stop.jpg

qclabrat

how does Strava estimate the watts? Either Utah or Norm are on 18T cassettes or they weigh 300 pounds...

alex_k

how does Strava estimate the watts? Either Utah or Norm are on 18T cassettes or they weigh 300 pounds...
cogs don't play any role in that equation. And they probably have most accurate wattage because the numbers are from their power meters

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
cogs don't play any role in that equation. And they probably have most accurate wattage because the numbers are from their power meters
I dont have a power meter but do have cadence so they probably do a calculation using cadence, weight and speed

alex_k

I dont have a power meter but do have cadence so they probably do a calculation using cadence, weight and speed
I bet they use horizontal and vertical speeds to calculate your work against air resistance and gravity. Cadence does not matter - you can produce the same power either with 60rpm or 110rpm

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What Alex Said....Me @Norm @pearl (anyone with the lightning bolt symbol next to the power number) were using actual power meters.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

qclabrat

What Alex Said....Me @Norm @pearl (anyone with the lightning bolt symbol next to the power number) were using actual power meters.
so why the big difference in numbers for you two vs @pearl and Mike? I know James is skinny and Mike not so tall, but were you and Norm really fat back then or just using smaller gearing?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so why the big difference in numbers for you two vs @pearl and Mike? I know James is skinny and Mike not so tall, but were you and Norm really fat back then or just using smaller gearing?

Because strava don't know shit

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Estimated power is like estimating when you will get a cavity using a sundial. Do you really think 300 pound riders would be in the top of any Strava list not named "race to the buffet..."?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
FWIW, who cares? Norm and Utah are mashers and if I had to get, there avg cadence was probably 60. At that time, Mike was still mashing and if he did that climb today, he would be spinning much faster, same with me.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cadence does not matter - you can produce the same power either with 60rpm or 110rpm

I'm not sure about this. To travel the same distance, I think cadence does matter.

alex_k

I'm not sure about this. To travel the same distance, I think cadence does matter.
you might be taking for optimal cadence for you but that irrelevant to amount of work (and average power) required to move a body from point A to point B.
somebody else can do the same work better with different cadence

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cadence does not matter
This is partially true....The powertap for example uses RPM and torque to compute the power...however...if my time is 10 min and my ave pwr is 374w...how I got to the top (high cadence or grinding) doesnt matter.....Power at the rear wheel is the same.
@Norm and I will put up higher power #s than @pearl...we have more powerful legs, but they have to move more weight up the hill.

Top Bottom