Yoga???

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Is yoga a sport?
does anyone here do any yoga?
My boss is really into that DDP yoga guy and thinks I should start.

He says it will improve my biking.

Lets hear it.

I practice yoga regularly, both at home and at a studio. It has improved many aspects of my running and biking by increasing my strength and flexibility. It has also improved my focus and patience at work. I have brought Chris to class, my students, my neighbors and anybody else I could drag with me.

So I am a huge proponent. I will be happy to answer any questions that you have and also to suggest some DVD's to get you started. Most of the DVD's I own I tried from the local library for free before I purchased. When I did buy them, I used Amazon and got them super cheap.
So ask away....

holy shit, diamond dallas page is a yoga instructor now! ahahhaha this is incredible!

-ahem.

i yoga on a completely non-regular basis, and when i do im totally just "freestylin" aka doing random sequences of poses that im feelin at the time

i got into it when my back started to get crappy once my job moved into more of a sitting on my ass all day role, totally helped that.
now i really just practice for the best stretch of my life ever (dat downward dog doe), and for a nice meditative break from life

im not into the vinyasa or "flow" style of yoga, i like it slow and concentrate on breathing and form.
giggidy.

i learned from yoga with tim on the youtube machine. hes a stud.

Yes to yoga, I go1x/wk. I would go more if time allowed. As my body ages and the stress of life wears on me I find yoga to be good for my body and soul.

Let me know if you want some suggestions. You can also try doyogawithme.com free classes online and very goo. If you have not practiced before I would look for their beginner stuff.

Not really but I do the child's pose as a stretch after doing planks

Childs-Pose.png

I started about 6-7 years ago when my body started rejecting a full day at that slopes, esp. riding on board, which I'm rarely on nowadays. By the end of the first season, I stopped getting those beat up pains the day after. When I started mtbing last year it also appeared to help me to gracefully crash, which is still at least once a ride. I only practice twice a week at a studio and once in a while at home.

Yes on yoga. Helps my lower back. I like the vinyasa style because if feels more like a workout than an endless stretching session.

thanks for all the replies and recommendations.
Going to check a few of them out.
I just need something that I wont get bored doing. If its boring, I know I wont commit to doing it.

3-4 days a week here for about 15 years.

Less in the summer.

At home is ok, but a really good instructor at a yoga only studio is hard to beat.

You should be able to get a month of unlimited yoga as a new member at most spots for under $50.

I usually do this when I travel

This will add life to your years.

3-4 days a week here for about 15 years.

Less in the summer.

At home is ok, but a really good instructor at a yoga only studio is hard to beat.

You should be able to get a month of unlimited yoga as a new member at most spots for under $50.

I usually do this when I travel

This will add life to your years.

Happy birthday Jay!

I'm sure Yoga at home can be OK, but for any beginner I would highly suggest going to a good studio with teachers that adjust you. It's a huge difference between doing a pose off and "correctly".

Once you get the hang of it it's easier to do on your own. I had done it for years off and on and went to a local studio for a month that was huge on instruction and it made a world of a difference.

The types of yoga are so wide and diverse. Anywhere from hippie moonbeam essential oils yoga to "is this crossfit or yoga" yoga. I'd recommend doing the Groupon route and try every studio around you.

i do hot yoga and it has helped me immensely. I have a pretty nicely messed up back and decided i didn't want to live my life in pain. I went 2 times a week for a few months and the improvement in flexibility was very noticeable. The heat is rough to motor through sometimes, but it keeps the muscles looser and the next day i'll usually feel pretty awesome

Back
Top Bottom