XT shifter install

Cole

Upgrading my shifter from Deore to XT. The Deore is about a year old, with around 1000 miles on it. Should I bother running new cable, or just use the old?

Upgrading my shifter from Deore to XT. The Deore is about a year old, with around 1000 miles on it. Should I bother running new cable, or just use the old?

i would replace the cable, you have to pull it out of the housing to install the shifter anyways so no point putting the old one back in (if you could even get it to feed cleanly).

the housing is fine and i wouldnt waste my time rerouting that, especially if you have an internally routed frame.

i would replace the cable, you have to pull it out of the housing to install the shifter anyways so no point putting the old one back in (if you could even get it to feed cleanly).

the housing is fine and i wouldnt waste my time rerouting that, especially if you have an internally routed frame.

+1 agree with this 100%

Ok, didn't realize I need to pull the cable to install figured it would attach at the shifter... yea looking at the internal routing this morning is what made me ask the question.

Maybe a drop or two of lube on the new cable before snaking it through the existing housing for good measures? I mean, would it hurt?

Maybe a drop or two of lube on the new cable before snaking it through the existing housing for good measures? I mean, would it hurt?

if you have full length cable housing probably not, if you have a any exposed cable (outside the housing) it will attract dirt to the cable and pull it into the housing degrading shifting performance (especially on the upshift)

if you have full length cable housing probably not, if you have a any exposed cable (outside the housing) it will attract dirt to the cable and pull it into the housing degrading shifting performance (especially on the upshift)
I see your point but I figured now adays with internal cable routing you don't even see the bare cable until it comes out of the chain stay just before it touches the derailleur cable mounting point. My goal for just 1 or 2 drops is to coat the inside of housing rather than the cable itself and by the time the cable exits the housing most if not all of the lube would have been wiped off the cable an on to the housing. To be on the safe side just upshift all the way to extend the cable and wipe it clean so whatever is exposed won't attract dirt.

I see your point but I figured now adays with internal cable routing you don't even see the bare cable until it comes out of the chain stay just before it touches the derailleur cable mounting point. My goal for just 1 or 2 drops is to coat the inside of housing rather than the cable itself and by the time the cable exits the housing most if not all of the lube would have been wiped off the cable an on to the housing. To be on the safe side just upshift all the way to extend the cable and wipe it clean so whatever is exposed won't attract dirt.

that wouldn't hurt, but keep in mind the oil wont be absorbed by the liner in the housing, and it will continue to wick down the cable as you ride (derailleur is the lowest point of the system TYPICALLY), it would become another maintenance task. Its not something i have ever felt the need to do, if the shifting performance drops off that badly its time for a new housing.

Back
Top Bottom