XT M8000 loud AF in 46t.

Chain isn’t long enough to get into 1st gear but did get into second and still horrible.

Starting to think the lower part of the RD is bent.

last time i had too much noise coming from my drivetrain in bigger cogs it was b-tension.. can't tell how tight the gap is in that video but may be worth giving that a little more room and see if it helps

Getting the chainring from the mailbox but I’m 50/50 on it being the problem…

It’s always the chain ring. Unless it’s not.

Uhmm, you confirmed the chain is too short...maybe even in 2nd gear the cage is still positioned incorrectly and the chain rubs?

Sorry when I said the chain was too short I meant the one I took off my road bike to trouble shoot.

New chainring on, same noise.
IMG_8942.jpeg

IMG_8940.jpeg

Gap between the top derail gear and the big casset gear should be @6 mm .....that looks alot more then 6mm in that last pix ,also looks like the chain is rubbing on the inside of the pulley cage ??

Chain is too short?

Are there rub marks on the inside of the cage?

It is hitting the stop and the cable tension is twisting the derailleur? I'm not even sure this is possible.

Chain is too short?

It is hitting the stop and the cable tension is twisting the derailleur? I'm not even sure this is possible.
I believe a certain amount of wear on the inside of the cage in that position is normal due to the transition between one gear and the next? The chain wrap around that pulley it minimal but I don't think that would cause any noise.

Did you try an backup the derailleur a little toward the outside? Either adjusting the limit screw or loosening the cable a little at the shifter? Shifter, derailleur and cassette are all compatible right (XT 11 speed that is)?

Who has a better garage floor; you or @Carson ?
Never saw his janky floor, I know mine better

Gap between the top derail gear and the big casset gear should be @6 mm .....that looks alot more then 6mm in that last pix ,also looks like the chain is rubbing on the inside of the pulley cage ??
I've tried 6, 8, 5, all of the different measurements and it gets the same noise.

Chain is too short?

Going from the 34 to 32 should make the chain shorter, right? I threw on an 40t cassette from the 46t to make sure that was not the case, and it still make the same noise.

If it's not the chainring, swap the grips.
i'm about to light this junt on fire

Did you try an backup the derailleur a little toward the outside? Either adjusting the limit screw or loosening the cable a little at the shifter? Shifter, derailleur and cassette are all compatible right (XT 11 speed that is)?
I've moved it all around, all M8000 stuff. I think it's the RD at this point, whether its tweaked one way or another...

Back
Top Bottom