XT M8000 loud AF in 46t.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Peep the video:

I tried swapping cassettes to an 11-40, making sure chain is lubed, clutch on and off, adjusting B tension in both directions, confirmed I have on drive side spacer on. I've read people talking about chainline, but it's all mumbo jumbo to me. The gears are indexed well and they shift as I expect them to, they are just noisy in the 46 and 42 (or whatever the second one is down).

The only thing I haven't done is replace the hanger, but I don't feel it is the problem.

Before I rage buy XT 12 speed and just disappoint myself even more, what else could I be missing?

Last edited:
Peep the video:

I tried swapping cassettes to an 11-40, making sure chain is lubed, clutch on and off, adjusting B tension in both directions, confirmed I have on drive side spacer on. I've read people talking about chainline, but it's all mumbo jumbo to me. The gears are indexed well and they shift as I expect them to, they are just noisy in the 46 and 42 (or whatever the second one is down).

The only thing I haven't done is replace the hanger, but I don't feel it is the problem.

Before I rage buy XT 12 speed and just disappoint myself even more, what else could I be missing?

second gear is 37. What is your YT channel? Only issue I've had with the 11-46 was on my Mukluk when swapping from one wheelset to another with a different hub, and still while it would jump gear it wasn't noisy, I'm curious to hear it though.

I think I found your channel on YT but it's just a bunch of clips taken at some lycra festival somewhere, no noisy gear video...

i'll allow access to this content for free this go around...

gonna try a goat link even though shimano says 11-46 should work...

Is the chain is rubbing the derailleur cage?
it is not, if I relieve some pressure off of the cage the noise goes away.

Is it me or that chain looks a little too short?
It still has some play to be shorter, I also put an 11-40 on and it makes the same noise, so I feel that is the trouble shoot for the long chain

I have AXS on two of my three drop bar bikes (since the other one has rim brakes and I bang bars with it), this is actually for my mtb I ride randomly, can’t justify AXS on this one, but can drop the less than $300 for a new 12 speed setup

Last edited:
it is always the chainring.

in this case, it is a bad jockey wheel bearing.
(said like i know what i'm tawknbout)

I had the same setup in the past and have a suspicion. Check the B limit screw. It can make a big difference. Side note, the MT8000 rear derailleur I had used to have trouble keeping the B limit screw set. Easy fix with new loctite, but something to mind.

I had the same setup in the past and have a suspicion. Check the B limit screw. It can make a big difference. Side note, the MT8000 rear derailleur I had used to have trouble keeping the B limit screw set. Easy fix with new loctite, but something to mind.
I've tried maxing it out in both directions and the noise is still the same doe

I was going to say this too....check the jockey wheels
ill give those a go

Uhm, seems that when on 46T there's plenty of clearance between the upper jockey pulley and the cog. Is that the case? Why would the pulley make noise only on a specific gear though? Chain angle on that specific gear? Maybe distancing the pulley even further from the cog could work then (B screw) ?

So I put the goat link on and it’s sorta better not not really. After closer listening it seems to be the chain ring, but it doesn’t look worn or anything to me?

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a 32 to replace the 34, but does this even look worn?

IMG_8917.jpeg

So what im supposed to do here, get a wolftooth jawn? Does my chainring look shot?

That’s the only thing I can’t replace to troubleshoot lol

New chainring and pulleys on the way, let’s see what solves the problem. I took the bottom pulley off and noticed this, but not sure how this would be making all that racket…
IMG_8918.jpeg

For all of those following along still;

New pulleys got even louder, so now im about to rip the chain off my CAAD and see if it makes a difference. Curious if its long enough. Chain ring will be here today.

Back
Top Bottom