Winter Trail Abuse.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just go buy caution tape and close the entrances. A roll of tape is $11. I know because i bought one last weekend.

What's the worst that can happen? I think you'd be surprised how many people turn around and don't ride. People are paranoid about being watched.

Unless the park has explicitly said not to....it's worth it.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
There needs to be a physical barrier at the trailheads i.e. caution tape, chain, gate, etc. Common sense isn't common not to mention individuals will all have a different idea of what actually is "too wet." I don't see how there can be consequences for for an action when there is no official declaration that that action was prohibited. Will a chain across the trailhead stop every asshat? No, but I would think it will stop most which would drastically reduce the trail damage. .

I get that bikes damage trails. There is no arguing that. But bikes are by no means the only thing damaging these trails. I have ridden 6 Mile during a freeze and there were plenty of frozen boot tracks, etc. Let's not get started on all the dogs off leash. The reality is that none of the rules are followed and that transcends the different user groups.

I get that there have been budget cuts. I am sure the individual park rangers care a lot but the bottom line is that the State of New Jersey doesn't care enough about the parks to invest enough money to properly maintain and police them.

To be clear I don't ride mud. I don't condone it at all and I am not defending those who do. I don't think anyone reading this is a guilty party. That's the problem.

one piece crank

Parking access denial should probably be tested this Spring as mud season arrives. You can only talk about it so much.

The local Kingwood Twp Park (no MTBNJ, just soccer fields) closes at the slightest sign of bad weather. They have always been super sensitive to field conditions and the potential for soft ground damage. Horseshoe Bend Park gates are locked dust to dawn, or simply not opened in seriously bad weather.

Ian F

Limiting parking access "might" work at Canal Road and Jacques Lane, but I don't see it being practical at the 27 lot which is mainly there for the ball fields. Even at Canal Rd, all someone would have to do is park in the causeway lot which is will always stay open for canal path users.

Big "Trail Closed" signs and a strong FB presence seem to work fairly well at Nockamixon. Even that isn't perfect and we've seen ruts there. Unfortunately, no system will be perfect. Even banning bikes entirely.

TimBay

Education is important. Maybe some signs letting people know not to ride or use the trails too to explain it. As a really new rider, I wouldn't know not to ride in the mud if it weren't for stumbling into this forum. All the videos I watched about riding (GMBN mostly) dont really reference the issues of riding in mud and theyre always caked in it anyway. So I'm all for blocking and signage to make sure people know when it's not ok to ride. Maybe some advocacy can be done with the park systems to allow for volunteers from this forum to go and close the trails on days with poor conditions? I dunno. I'm at least going to do my part and not ride in it thanks to you and others posting to educate here. Thanks

Ian F

All the videos I watched about riding (GMBN mostly) dont really reference the issues of riding in mud and they're always caked in it anyway.

True... Brits seem to have a different view on mud riding... their common retort is "if we didn't ride in mud, we'd never ride..."

Mountain Bike Mike

0E77D6ED-2E4F-44FE-A05D-105482348588.png

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Limiting parking access "might" work at Canal Road and Jacques Lane, but I don't see it being practical at the 27 lot which is mainly there for the ball fields. Even at Canal Rd, all someone would have to do is park in the causeway lot which is will always stay open for canal path users.

Big "Trail Closed" signs and a strong FB presence seem to work fairly well at Nockamixon. Even that isn't perfect and we've seen ruts there. Unfortunately, no system will be perfect. Even banning bikes entirely.

so close the lots that you can and @rick81721 will sit in his rocking chair at the other one with his shotgun and scare everyone away.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I have to check but I don’t think I’ve ridden 6mile more than 4-5 times a year the last few years. When the opportunity is, the condition aren’t..... and I’m like right there!!!!

My walks with a trash bag outnumbered my rides for sure. It’s depressing.

Closing off the lots are the only “solution” but you can only do it for the canal side of Middlebush. You ain’t closing the soccer field lot.

Mountain Bike Mike

If the park peeps are willing to shut it down
completely, yet don’t have the means to even open and close a gate or manage it, how will they keep people out and enforce not allowing people there at all? The trails aren’t going to disappear. People will still show up and ride.

Are you saying they have the means of going in and making all 15-20 miles of trail unrideable but don’t have the means to print off signs and posting?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions