Winter Gloves

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
My hands and toes tend to get really cold in the winter - not to the extent of Reynauds or anything that bad, but by the end of the night ride this time of year I'd say chances are about 50/50 that I'll spend 10 minutes sitting in my car fighting back tears as the blood flowing back into my fingertips makes them feel like they're falling off. So I'm always on the lookout for any better gear. I have a set of 45North Sturmfist gloves that are for really cold nights (for those who don't know, Sturmfists are basically the glove choice of the kind of self-torturing psychopaths who do Iditabike) but I don't really like to use them most of the time because, if it's too warm, they get filled with sweat and then I have to dry them out before the next ride, plus they're super bulky and make handlebar grip feel pretty shaky. For the last few years, my go-to winter gloves have been the Gorewear C5 thermo gloves. And they've been great. By the end of a ride, my hands are definitely starting to freeze up a bit but I just figured that's just going to happen with any glove. But back in November, I was at the Philly Bike Expo and picked up a pair of gloves from a company I'd never heard of caled Aerotech Designs. The gloves were really cheap, so I figured I'd take a flyer on them since my current Gorewear gloves are starting to show their age a bit. If these ones sucked, I wouldn't be out too much money and I could just keep them as a backup for warmer nights. I think I paid like $29 for them at the show (they're regularly $40 on the website, so I guess that was a sale thing.) And they don't suck. In fact, so far they're actually better than the Gorewear gloves. I'm really surprised because even at full price, they're pretty cheap, but they may actually be the best gloves I've ever had. I used them last week on a night ride that dipped below 30 and my hands were warm the whole time and didn't even feel any kind of chill at any point. Definitely recommend checking them out - for the price, I think they're really hard to beat. Like any winter glove, they're not really good with a touchscreen for a phone or anything, but I'm fine with that as long as they keep me warm. And so far so good on that front. I've probably used them about a dozen times now and every time they've been perfect - no painful fingers or creeping chill the longer I'm out.

Aerotech gloves

GelPadded_Winter_CyclingGlove_ColdWeather_Safety_ICON__44764.1570109447.png

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How’s dexterity with these? That’s my biggest issue with winter gloves. My hands don’t get that cold so I tend to underglove, but when it’s really cold I wear gore something or other and they kind of suck for working zippers, grabbing a snack from pockets, grabbing my phone, etc

1speed

How’s dexterity with these? That’s my biggest issue with winter gloves. My hands don’t get that cold so I tend to underglove, but when it’s really cold I wear gore something or other and they kind of suck for working zippers, grabbing a snack from pockets, grabbing my phone, etc
For grabbing things, I'd say they're probably about the same as Gore gloves, maybe a little better because they tend to fit more snugly. But they're definitely not made for typing or anything like that. They're more "ski glove" than "driving glove" for sure, if that makes sense.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like they have a less heavy weight version: https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/heavy-weight-spider-grip-full-finger-cycling-glove.html

coldweather-fullfinger-cyclingglove-features.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
For grabbing things, I'd say they're probably about the same as Gore gloves, maybe a little better because they tend to fit more snugly. But they're definitely not made for typing or anything like that. They're more "ski glove" than "driving glove" for sure, if that makes sense.
How they do compare to the sleestaks palm? They are basically a summer glove palm, the thinnest warm glove I have found.

What temp do these get down to? I know that differs between people but we talking 15 or 30?

one piece crank

Gloves are tough. These are my fav Winter riding gloves, $10 from Lowes. Real leather baby...

Lowes.jpg

I do everything outside in Winter and there is nothing worse than swampy hands. I often need a warmer set riding to/from, and lighter set in the woods. In this kind of weather I carry and extra hat and gloves in my frame bag. Several years ago I picked up a set of ski gloves at the Flemington Dept Store (huge selection with price points from $25-$100+) that have formed/curved fingers and a zipper hand-warmer pocket on the back. These are my back-up/SHTF Winter camping gloves. If its crazy cold out I'll even wear them to the trailhead, then switch to my leathers and have the warm ones as backup if it somehow comes to walking out.

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
What I’ve found works best for me are gloves that have a removable inner liner. This is true for both riding as well as skiing/boarding. This enables the glove to “breathe” inside so moisture management isn’t a problem, plus:
-creates a layer of warmth akin to how the layers we wear on our bodies help retain heat
-gives you the option to use the inner or outer glove independently if conditions warrant.
-Enables them to dry faster
-Enables you to place a heat back between the liner and the outer glove if it’s really cold out

My Lake gloves are over 20 years old and still going strong. Too bad they don’t seem to make them anymore. I use similar gloves from Mountain Hardware for boarding.

1speed

How they do compare to the sleestaks palm? They are basically a summer glove palm, the thinnest warm glove I have found.

What temp do these get down to? I know that differs between people but we talking 15 or 30?
I don't know the sleestaks palm, so I can't say on that.

As for the lowest temp they go down to, pretty low. I'd say 15 is fair game. It was 18 degrees here at noon with a wind chill closer to 10 and I was out for a ride over lunch and they were perfect - never felt even a hint of a chill in my hands.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I used to think pogies were silly, but in reality, I should probably try them. Hmmmm...
I had bar mitts and they didn’t provide enough warmth to override the dork factor. I also found the limited handle positioning was uncomfortable. The obvious downside with Pogies is it is just one more thing to manage taking on-off for a ride. So you have a day like today where is it was cold enough to use them early, but you really don’t need them later in the day. So now you the guy riding at 40 with pogies

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I had bar mitts and they didn’t provide enough warmth to override the dork factor. I also found the limited handle positioning was uncomfortable. The obvious downside with Pogies is it is just one more thing to manage taking on-off for a ride. So you have a day like today where is it was cold enough to use them early, but you really don’t need them later in the day. So now you the guy riding at 40 with pogies
Set up one bike with pogies and one without.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought pogies a few years ago, but I can't bring myself to try using them on the mountain bike. I'm too afraid of my hands getting stuck in an OTB situation.

Can't go wrong with these for $20:

My new pair just arrived. Thanks @goodvibe for the heads-up, and thanks @stb222 for posting about these back in 2015. I'm still using my original pair, but they are getting pretty beat up and have been overdue for replacing.

02EB755D-099C-477C-9F9E-1DE88F784A4D.jpeg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I bought pogies a few years ago, but I can't bring myself to try using them on the mountain bike. I'm too afraid of my hands getting stuck in an OTB situation.

Can't go wrong with these for $20:

My new pair just arrived. Thanks @goodvibe for the heads-up, and thanks @stb222 for posting about these back in 2015. I'm still using my original pair, but they are getting pretty beat up and have been overdue for replacing.

View attachment 176077
After messaging @whatevertheFspencersscreennameis I came across these:
AED06B0B-BB09-4A13-B1F1-85C6D45316AA.jpeg
Answer sleestaks with a “work glove material” called the chopper trail mitt. Same design as the sleestaks otherwise. The only complaint I have with the sleestaks is I destroy the uppers when I do TM and these should help with that. Discontinued too but all sizes available on eBay. Should get them soon.

Top Bottom