winter bike

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
psycleridr said:
All great info on the hand/gloves, but what about feet? I am one of those that no matter what i have tried my feet feel like blocks of ice which makes it miserable for me, while I never have had problems with my hands either biking or skiing.

The only thing that's ever worked for me is the booties on the outside and plastic chopping bags over my feet, socks underneath. So feet-socks-bags-shoes-booties. Not the most convenient setup.

ytc100

normZurawski said:
The only thing that's ever worked for me is the booties on the outside and plastic chopping bags over my feet, socks underneath. So feet-socks-bags-shoes-booties. Not the most convenient setup.

I go with silk sock liners, ski socks, shoes, toe covers, neoprene booties and on real cold days toe warmers - these work!

cem

If possible, having some room around your toes is big help too, warms up the air around your toes and keeps everything toasty (my feet are always warm snowboarding).

My bike shoes are too tight if I try to add a thicker or more socks, so I'm usally cold either way, with to much sock or not enough. May have to step up and get some neoprene booties or winter shoes.

ytc100

Another important issue when it comes to keeping your extremities warm is too make sure your core is warm. Your hands and feet will stay warm if you dress to keep your core warmer than you think you need to.

Maurice

Anrothar, for some reason I can't picture myself carving rocky singletrack with those pogies ;)

For commuting on the other hand (aww...) they look terrific.

For my feet I found winter socks and neoprene booties to be enough. Too many layers, you can't move your feet == cold.

Maurice

de00304

hands and feet

A few years back I purchased a pair of Lake winter bike shoes. Best investment I made in a while. If you are going to ride in the winter, these (or something like them) are a must, IMHO. Can't believe I spent years trying to get other bootie systems to work.

For the hands, I usually just wear a pair of windstopper fleece gloves, which is fine in all but the coldest conditions due to the sweat I work up while riding. However, just in case I carry a pair of goretex-type "overmitts" - basically a large mitten shell that goes over the gloves and goes halfway up to my elbow. If my hands start to get cold I slip on the overmitts and all is well. Since the overmitts are large and roomy, I can still works the brakes and shifters with them on. I find the mittens work better than gloves when the fingers start to ice up.

On the head I either use a fleece headband or a thin skullcap-type hat - dont find I need much there.

Lastly I always ride with a shell that has a hood - in the event I get really cold or have to walk out, I find the hood is a good thing to have in reserve.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ytc100 said:
I have skied in -25 degree wind chill with these gloves and a pair of "smartwool" glove liners and my hands were plenty comfortable. Any warmer than 20 degrees and I need to switch to a lighter glove.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/ou...&GCID=C14965x010&keyword=BLD0700+patrol+glove

BTW, I bought these. Rather, my in-laws technically did, as a birthday present. Got them yesterday. Not sure it's time to break them out but they sure do feel warm in the kitchen.

ytc100

normZurawski said:
BTW, I bought these. Rather, my in-laws technically did, as a birthday present. Got them yesterday. Not sure it's time to break them out but they sure do feel warm in the kitchen.

I hope you like 'em. They work great for me.

ytc100

normZurawski said:
They seem pretty solid. How do they hold up to being wet?

I have not worn these in the rain. I have a gore-tex shell glove i use with liners when I ski in the rain. I think on a rainy day they'd be way too warm though. They're really warm. :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ytc100 said:
I have not worn these in the rain. I have a gore-tex shell glove i use with liners when I ski in the rain. I think on a rainy day they'd be way too warm though. They're really warm. :)

Warm is good. My question is more about sweat. Sometimes I overdress, and sweat a lot, and so on. Road riding is where the tougher balance comes into play.

ytc100

normZurawski said:
Warm is good. My question is more about sweat. Sometimes I overdress, and sweat a lot, and so on. Road riding is where the tougher balance comes into play.

I see what you're talking about. I've only worn these on brutally cold days so typically no sweating. On more normal days I wear a pair of these:
http://www.snowshack.com/segnecoskian.html
They have a removeable neoprene insert and zippered vents along the back of the hand so they're very adaptable to changing temps.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice. For now I'll stick with one pair. I think most of my outdoor riding this winter will be off-road anyway.

Top Bottom